Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

believe it or not:the scent of space

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: believe it or not...well preserved 500 yr old teen

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:09 pm

http://splashlr.com/girl-maiden-discove ... d-alive/4/

So, this frozen teen was so well preserved you can actually see the scars on her skin! There are a variety of photos of her and where she was found. Sadly, she was part of a sacrifice - but apparently was dying of tuberculosis anyway!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... lungs.html
[+] SPOILER
Along with the remains of two younger children, the teenager was plucked from the slopes of a cloudswept volcano in 1999 by a team who battled for three days through driving blizzards and 70mph winds to reach the summit 22,000ft above sea level.
There, the archaeologists spotted a rectangular walled area, dug down through five feet of rocks and soil and finally uncovered an Incan burial platform.
One of the team was lowered headfirst into the icy pit, his colleagues hanging onto his ankles, so that he could scrape away the soil and pull the dead children out with his hands.
The three Children of Llullaillaco, as the mummies came to be known after the mountain on which they met their death, were found with an extraordinary collection of elaborate gold, silver and shell statues, textiles, pots containing food and even an extravagant headdress made from the white feathers of an unidentified bird.
But it was the state of the bodies, preserved not by embalming, like Egyptian mummies, but simply by the natural deep-freeze in which they were abandoned, that scientists found most remarkable.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z41oFzkIGx

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:20 pm

Re: believe it or not...why you're a mosquito target

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:40 am

5 Reasons why you may be target by mosquitos:

CO2 and lactic acid you produce, alcohol you consume, your blood type and genetics

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/07/2 ... thers.html

[+] SPOILER
You're pregnant

Female mosquitoes (the kind that bite) have a thing for carbon dioxide. Special nerve receptors help them detect the gas in the environment. What does that have to do with your baby bump? A 2002 study published in The Lancet found that women in the later stages of pregnancy (with a mean gestational age of 28 weeks) exhale 21 percent more CO2 than their non-pregnant peers.

The researchers speculated that this physiological difference could help explain why the pregnant women who participated in their experiments attracted twice as many mosquitoes. (Because itchy welts are just what you need in your third trimester.) But CO2 may not be the only reason you're suddenly more appealing: It could also be that pregnant women emit volatile odors that draw the insects, says Laura Harrington, PhD, a professor in the department of entomology at Cornell University.

You're dripping with sweat

If bug bites drive you nuts, you may want to take your workouts indoors this summer. Lactic acid, a byproduct of vigorous physical activity that's excreted through sweat, is "indeed an attractant" for mosquitoes, according to Conlon. If you're sweating profusely, your higher body temperature may play a role too. Warmth becomes more attractive as mosquitoes approach a potential host, Conlon said.

You have type O blood

Just like you have favorite fro-yo flavors, mosquitoes possess so-called landing preferences, and one of them has to do with what’s running through your veins. A study in the Journal of Medical Entomology found that the bloodthirsty fiends are extra attracted to individuals with type O blood. "Type O individuals may share a propensity for exuding certain odors that mosquitoes find attractive," Conlon suggested.

You just had a beer

Not to rain on your al fresco happy hour, but booze may lead to more bites. A PLOS ONE study done in West Africa on men who drank either beer or water revealed that "beer consumption consistently increased volunteers' attractiveness to mosquitoes." Harrington pointed to another study— a small experiment done in Japan— that suggested mosquitoes are drawn to people who have ingested alcohol. "But how widespread that phenomenon is truly remains unclear,” she said.

Your genes make you more attractive

Research on identical and fraternal twins suggests that an underlying genetic mechanism may affect whether you get eaten alive in the deep woods, or escape relatively unscathed. Scientists from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine reported that certain people produce natural mosquito repellents, a trait that appears to be genetically controlled.

How to keep the buggers away

If you're one of the lucky individuals mosquitos love, try this advice from Nora Besansky, PhD, a professor in the department of biological sciences at Notre Dame: “The simplest way, albeit uncomfortable in the heat, [to avoid bites] is to place a barrier between the skin and a day-biting mosquito— that is, long sleeves and long pants," she explains. “Even better protection is to apply an effective mosquito repellant to such clothing." She recommends spraying yourself with a product that contains DEET. For help choosing the right spray for you, check out our list of the best mosquito repellents.

Postby Akuyi » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:18 pm

That thing about mosquitoes was actually pretty helpful. :O

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:20 am

Questing with my trusty steed Oculus in the lands of Vee-Ar.

Postby galled » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:45 pm

Mosquitoes suck... ;)

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Akuyi » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:49 pm

I have blood type 0. And they love me. And I'm allergic to them. xD

Postby Diana » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:52 pm

I'm blood type A, and they really like me too. D:

Site Admin

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:41 pm

I've heard a higher vitamin B content in your body helps to keep the mosquito's away. When I was living where there was more then the average amount of the insects, we'd sprinkle brewer's yeast on our popcorn and eat it and swear that it helped (maybe we just weren't breathing or sweating too heavily?).

Postby Akuyi » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:26 am

Vitamin B! I'll try that!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:20 pm

edit that: I think it is B12

Re: believe it or not...an "inside" job

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:14 am

Here's one from the canucks - And keep in mind he made $180,000, so makes me wonder how much one puck is worth.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/21/world/min ... index.html

"(CNN)An employee at the Royal Canadian Mint is accused of smuggling $180K worth of gold in his rectum. There is absolutely nothing funny about that. Stop it. Stop making jokes in your head."

[+] SPOILER
Lester Lawrence is accused of transporting several cookie-sized gold pieces (important to note, if you are wondering about the physical logistics) called "pucks" out of the Mint and selling them to a gold buyer. His dealings allegedly netted him almost $180K over the course of a few months. That and, you know, the fact he worked at the MINT raised a few red flags at the bank where he deposited the money.
Although the prosecution couldn't definitively identify the pucks Lawrence sold, they did say they matched an exclusive mold the Mint uses.
While trying to put two and two together, prosecutors had to solve the slippery little problem of how Lawrence could have gotten the gold out of the high-security building where he worked.
Putting it to the test
Investigators posited that he used a little ingenuity -- and some Vaseline. They found a tub of the stuff in his work locker, and while it is certainly his natural right to possess a lubricating substance, investigators did start to wonder what, exactly, he was greasing up.
During testimony it was revealed Lawrence set off the metal detectors at work more than other employees, but they never seemed to find anything on him. Perhaps they were using the wrong preposition?
All of this comes from the Ottawa Citizen, which also included this distressing nugget in their reporting:
"...the trial was presented with the prospect that a puck could be concealed in an anal cavity and not be detected by the wand. In preparation for these proceedings, in fact, a security employee actually tested the idea..."
Goodness. Someone needs a raise.
The court won't reach a decision in the case until November, and it's important to remember that Lawrence has not been convicted of the crime, and the defense claims the Mint isn't even sure any of their gold is missing. So far it's been a matter of following possible clues wherever -- and they really mean wherever -- they may lead.
Also, the judge presiding over the case is Justice Peter Doody. Goodbye.

Re: believe it or not...an "inside" job

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:57 pm

This sounds like something from a scifi alien horror movie:
Thunderstorn in Australia:
"Monday's storm caused rain-sodden ryegrass pollen grains to explode and disperse over the city, with tiny pollen particles penetrating deep into lungs. Around a third of patients who suffered asthma attacks on Monday reported never having asthma before."
[+] SPOILER
The storm overwhelmed emergency services and hospitals in this city of 4.5 million people, with 8,500 receiving hospital treatment.

The world's first recorded thunderstorm asthma event occurred in Melbourne in 1987, when hospitals reported a five-fold increase in asthma cases. Similar events have happened in the United States, Canada, Britain and Italy. The last major event in Melbourne was in November 2010.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/ ... s-43800797

what does that mean? Don't go out in a thunderstorm???? Can you escape from it?

Re: believe it or not...pollen penetrates lungs from storm

Postby Ryvvi » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:15 pm

oh my god it was awful
it doesnt matter if youre inside or not, i had all my windows and doors shut, and i was struggling to breath, was coughing constantly really bad
it came out of nowhere too, i feel so bad for the people who died :/

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:20 pm

Ry: Rise of The Innovator 4000 , The Quickening [NOT THE BEEEEESSS Limited Edition]

Postby Diana » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:22 pm

Is that what gave you your hayfever? :O

Site Admin

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:30 pm

I had never heard of it before and yet the article says that it has happened in the US and in Canada as well.

Can you actually see the pollen? Can you feel it hit you? Does wearing masks help?

Postby Ryvvi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:49 am

no the pollen is actually smaller than the normal pollen that causes hayfever, it was described like the normal pollen would be over saturated by the rain and explode open into micro pieces of pollen that could reach further into your lungs, causing people to basically develop asthma temporarily
cant see it, and i could feel my cough getting worse but escalated quite quickly within probably the space of an hour
idk if a mask would have helped? probably would have to be a proper gas mask to prevent anything

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:20 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Hinterland