Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

believe it or not:the scent of space

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: believe it or not...proof dinosaurs had feathers

Postby Watery Star » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:31 pm

Makes them sound less threatening. Although I say that when I shrinked back from a chicken fluttering around in a close space of me.

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 3:16 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:34 pm

chickens actually be nasty, especially the leghorns, they can attack you insistently with pecking.

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 1:16 am

Postby Watery Star » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:58 pm

I don't like the pecking and how they can fly up to get in your face.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:27 pm

I would never have leghorns, they scared me so badly as a kid. But we did have rhode island reds and they were always scared and would just squat down and not move. We could actually pet them.

Postby Watery Star » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:55 pm

I'd like to meet a mellow chicken I could pet.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:21 am

Well, you'd have to take the chance of being around ones that are not. There are quite a few breeds of chickens that are more mellow and baby chicks really are adorable.

I wonder how the dinosaurs were, other then some being incredibly large, were they as vicious as we have come to believe?

Postby Watery Star » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:57 am

I guess that's true. I guess petting zoo chickens could be mellow and the people there would know which I could pet and which would be defensive.

I've gotten the impression that they varied a lot.
Herbivorous dinosaurs--which included sauropods, ankylosaurs, stegosaurs, hadrosaurs, pachycephalosaurs, ornithopods, ceratopsians and titanosaurs--vastly outnumbered meat-eaters in prehistoric times.

Some of which displayed armor and would fend off and even kill predators. From the herbivores they used different tactics to defend and protect themselves from predators. Besides fighting they could run away( fly or swim away if possible). They could also hide. I read that all dinosaurs had the ability to camouflage themselves. They could also seem imposing in hopes to scare the predator away.

Not all dinosaurs were large either. The velociraptor and the protoceratops were small, about child-sized. As I was checking to see if I named the right dinosaur I found out that velociraptors were only about 3 feet long and attacked with a large claw on their foot. It's older cousin Deinonychus was more threatening and actual inspiration behind the Jurassic Park velociraptor.
The single biggest fabrication in the entire Jurassic Park series was when that cute, curious little Dilophosaurus sprayed burning venom in the face of Wayne Knight. Not only wasn't Dilophosaurus poisonous, but to date there's no convincing evidence that any dinosaur of the Mesozoic Era deployed poison in its offensive or defensive arsenal (there was briefly some buzz about Sinornithosaurus, but it later turned out that this dinosaur's "venom sacs" were a actually displaced teeth).

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:40 pm

See, that's what I am talking about1 We THINK we know the facts but really we don't, we just assume ( best guess).

I wish I had a time machine that could just go back and view how things were/looked throughout history - I wouldn't need to interact... just "see"...omg great idea for 3d virtual reality for future technology ( if only we knew for sure how life was how animals and dinosaurs truly acted). I'll come up with the ideas and someone else can write the coding and develop the product.

Postby Watery Star » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:18 am

I'm impressed with the information that can but gathered through fossils. But yeah it would be neat to really know how it truly was back then and during other times in history too. I read a book called "Just One Damned Thing After Another" first book in The Chronicles of St Mary's series. In it a team goes through time gathering samples from historic sites. I really enjoyed it and have the second book to read but the drama towards the end soured it for me.

You mean something like a virtual walking with dinosaurs? They are doing amazing things with 3D now. I've watched some people on Twitch using 3D headsets. They have a split screen of what the see and of them moving around. I'm not quite sure how advanced the technology is yet.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:30 am

I did read last night Japan is working on interactive technology for people to "experience" being with the dinosaurs too, so that is cool.
I think it is amazing that people have the talent to be able to see in their mind what bones could have looked like in real life. For example, in forensics and archaeology, when they use the clay and come up with the person's appearance. Or look at a jawline or cheek bone and be able to describe the appearance. But how true to life is that? If there was a photo or a statue you would know how true a job they did.

Did you see the article on what they think Robert the Bruce from Scotland may have looked like by building a face off his bones?

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:55 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/12/ ... rface.html

"Lasting around three seconds, the moaning noise hits super-low, and then super-high frequencies.
The experts’ best guess is that they picked up a never before heard whale call while monitoring the uncharted depths."
Whale mating call? Some
mysterious form of technology?
http://bioacoustics.oregonstate.edu/sit ... mple_0.mp3

Re: believe it or not...sound from 36,000 below sea level

Postby Watery Star » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:33 am

That's interesting especially since they can't confirm that it's from a whale.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:41 pm

but it sounds like the whale call they play on the Star Trek IV movie (I think) the one where they go back in time to get a whale.

Postby Watery Star » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:26 am

I haven't seen that movie. That's an interesting plot for a movie.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:09 am

It's actually a funny one because they go back to the 1980's. Ya, an alien ship is sending out a call waiting to hear whale calls back but int he future that type of whale (humpback I think) has gone extinct so they have to go back in time to get a whale. Anyway, I like watching the Star Trek series.

PreviousNext

Return to Hinterland