Need advice? Tutoring? Want to share that thing that happened to you? This is the place for all things involving the world outside, and life in general.

"You Shouldn't Joke About That"

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: "You Shouldn't Joke About That"

Postby ShiroGEM » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:30 am

I remembered reading a long debate about trigger warnings, some people say that if people have common triggers (like potatoes...), they shouldn't be on the internet in the first place ranting about why people don't write "trigger warning: potatoes" on their posts. On the other hand, some people found it necessary to warn people about potential triggers before seeing the post.

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:20 pm

chris | they/them | hong kong
Hangout • Wishlist • AvisSketchbook • Items I've Made
Art Shop!

pixel by Mouse

Postby Ryvvi » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:47 am

i am at least 95% sure that the potato post was satire
it is the internet so i could be wrong
But i can understand the need for trigger warnings
like the warning labels on dvd's explaining why the contest is rated (excessive violence, nudity etc) its not just for parents, but people who cant hadle seeing that sort of thing.
i wouldnt wanna be watching a movie and the next minute be freaking out over something

Local time: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:20 am

Ry: Rise of The Innovator 4000 , The Quickening [NOT THE BEEEEESSS Limited Edition]

Postby ShiroGEM » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:53 am

True, but most posts already have tags and warnings about generic things like that anyways. ovo

Postby Maro » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:10 am

so many people are so sensitive... only a few things truly offend me tbh when they are joked about

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:50 am

Art by - ciel

Postby ShiroGEM » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:45 am

Haven't you heard of offendedbyeverything2015? xD Everyone gets butthurt over the smallest things.

Postby Maro » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:47 am

i bet people get offended by that too lol

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:12 am

lol, that's hilarious!

Almost to a point where we should just rename America to Tumblr, because everyone on Tumblr gets offended by everything. XD

Not saying everyone on tumblr actually is, but a good amount of them are (I'm a Tumblr user who doesn't get offended over everything, lol)

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:20 am

Postby galled » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:31 am

Potato! I'm offended by talk about over sensitive people who are easily offended!! :)

Server Administrator

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:20 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Maro » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:05 pm

so much offensiveness all in one place! lol :cheeky:

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:05 pm

I'm totally lost regarding the potato... I'd rather just eat them.

Postby Hero » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:08 am

Best people to joke on are the Tumblr feminists. They get offended by just even looking at them.

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:20 am

:grin_wink: Hi, the name is Hero!

Postby Sanchicho » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:28 am

I feel like the things that are okay to joke about really depend on your intended audience.
If I'm with friends that like the same dark humor that I do then I think it's okay to make those jokes. Of course I wouldn't make those jokes with just anyone because they could get offended. I don't think that when you make jokes online that you should necessity state some people may be offended by a joke you make. It's not like in real life where it's easy to know who is listening to your jokes so that you can know whether or not to make an offensive joke. When you say something online anyone can read it. People that find it funny and people that are offended.

Postby Zombie Bunny » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:02 pm

The “You shouldn’t joke about that” topic is a very serious issue; people make jokes about things that they don’t seem to understand; usually about sensitive topics. These jokes can offend quite a few people; both because of who the person is, and because of what their experiences are. Factors such as gender, race, sexual orientation and traumatic experiences.
There are two ways these jokes could be presented: accusatory, and derogatory. Accusatory jokes are generally the kind you hear about specific people. Such as jokes about how Bill Cosby raped people, or Rachel Dolezol being “black”. This sort of joke is usually condemning the wrongful action, but it could still be taken the wrong way. Derogatory jokes, however, are usually used just for the shock factor. In some cases they’re used just to see how many people you can offend at once. People will use slurs and stereotyping at an attempt to be humorous.
What the people making these jokes don’t consider, is who might hear them. If you’re posting it online publically, EVERYONE has access to that information. Imagine you’re a recovering rape victim, and you see a post saying that so and so “should be raped” for something or this. Or what about if you’re a victim of physical abuse, and you see this. Do you think that’s going to sit well with you? You’ve just gone through a lot, and you see people posting things like this as if it’s funny? Is your traumatic experience funny to them?
Then there are the people who stay quiet; not everyone offended by things is going to outright SAY they’re offended. People will sit through things they hate hearing, even laugh or join in, because they believe if they said anything they’ll be ostracized. Some people go all day hearing about how their experiences or they themselves are to be joked about; then get home only to let all of that self-hatred settle. If they do finally crack and get angry; what do you think is going to happen to them if they’re told they “have no right to be angry”? Do you think they’ll calm down and agree with you because they “have no right to be angry”?
In my PERSONAL opinion, I believe that other people’s mental stability and comfort does not outweigh my freedom of speech to tell offensive jokes; so I don’t make those jokes. I’m not going to stop you from joking about these things, I’m not even going to tell you that you SHOULDN’T joke about these things. That’s all up to you.

Image Image Image

Postby Ghost » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:57 pm

//floats in//
this is my favorite topic.

Warning: If you're easily offended, please just don't even pay me any mind right now.

I think as time goes on, people are feeling more entitled all the way around - It's one thing to say joking about life threatening illness or disabilities is wrong - It's a whole other to say your sexuality, race or even gender are off limits. It is not my responsibility to make sure your feelings do not get hurt on accident. I would never PURPOSELY hurt someone. But damn if I'm not gonna make jokes I think are funny. Whether you're offended or not is your own problem because I am so comfortable in my own messed up skin (literally messed up skin - yay rare skin conditions) that shallow things such as what I look like, my sexuality, gender identity, etc. do not bother me enough to feel offended when some random person comments on it. I laugh at myself all the time. Everyone loves to laugh. Laughter is a wonderful thing. Who am I to say someone's wrong for laughing at something they find funny? I think as long as there's no ill-intent behind it, all jokes are good jokes. I don't personally enjoy jokes about life threatening illnesses, disabilities or rape but I wouldn't tell someone they're wrong for finding it funny - Everyone has their own sense of humor, some darker than others, but whether it's "dark" or "light" humor, it's still humor to someone.

I think the mentality that you have to be going through it to make fun of it is crap as well. For instance, let's use my skin condition. So I'm allowed to crack jokes about other people with a skin condition just because I have one too? That isn't very fair. If they can take the joke from me, they know it's just a joke, and should be able to take it from anyone.

I guess I just literally cannot understand how someone could be offended by something that is intended to be humorous and I think people these days need to lighten up and stop trying to force everyone to be so PC. A world where I can't make an offensive joke and have people laugh along with me is not a world I want to live in.

Let's stop expecting everyone to cater to our feelings and let's get weird.

But that's just like... My opinion man.
And all that being said, I again, never purposely hurt people and online I refrain from making jokes like that unless I know the friends I'm speaking to very well and know I won't be offending them. I am not heartless, I just think some people are way too sensitive.

//floats away//

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:20 am

ImageImage
Nibbly wants a sacrifice
Wiggly wants his wrath
We dance around the pentagram
And take all our kingdoms back

Postby ciel » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:08 pm

"offense is never given, it is always taken"

when someone offends you, it is because you have given them permission to do so. you cannot control the world, only how you respond to it.

and if you could control the world, you still could not make it a non offensive place for all involved, because offense is a subjective thing. unless your plan is to control what people say and how they think...

that's my opinion on the matter, anyways :3

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:20 am

Previous

Return to Hinterland