A place to meet new people, and hang out in a club.

Lemon's drop-inn

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Lemon's drop-inn (stop by and enjoy the moment)

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:59 pm

I know we get spoiled with our weather.

Well, time for bed - good luck! (Just post on everybody's (I don't know about you but I still have 75 unread) to get your tickets).

Local time: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:29 pm

Postby Watery Star » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:06 pm

Sleep well!

There always seems to be 55-75 unread messages lol
I only feel like chatting now so I'll be heading out too.

Local time: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:29 pm

Postby Balcan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:30 am

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:Oh my gosh - I LOVE borscht!

Stew is a similar poor man's food - cheap cuts of meat boiled for a longtime and throw in what you have for veggies...make some dumplings if you have no bread or they use to dip the stale bread in the soup or stew. As much as we didn't have much when I was a child we still managed to have some sort of meal...even if it was just eggs from the chickens we had, but my grandparents weren't so fortunate, often going without a meal and no heat in freezing temperatures.

Really? Do you eat it hot or cold?

We have a type of stew called "zharkoe" which I actually think is tasty if you have better ingredients.

There was a joke about the food shortage in Russia where people had to stand for hours in line to get bread. So this one guy managed to get his borscht but realizes he forgot bread to go with it. He's sure that if he leaves this soup unattended someone will take it. So he leaves a note reading "I spit in this soup". When he gets back an hour later with his bread he finds another note underneath reading "so did I".

That's kind of bleak but it's the humor people grew up with when trying to make the best of shitty situations.

Last night I ate a tortilla with cream cheese. That's a good indicator of how my life is going.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:24 pm

we eat a lot of quesadillas which our version is sprinkle some grated cheese on a tortilla, fold it in half and stick it in the toaster oven on toast... my friend heats hers up over the gas burner on her stove

I prefer borscht hot and I will add sour cream but not always. We also ate a lot of cabbage rolls and then we got lazy and just mixed everything in a pot instead of rolling the stuffing in the leaves and baking it.

I thought the joke was funny!

My friend told me stories of standing in long lines in Russia for food - you couldn't just go to a store you had to stand in a line for every item! Is it still like that?

Postby npixelz » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:43 am

almost to page 100!

Currently seeking event items
Minecraft guild
Owner of many titles
Creator of many forum games
The Fairy Garden is my main place, but you'll also find me in other hangouts
Lastly, much love to everyone, and remember; Positive Mental Attitude!
Keep being awesome
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Postby galled » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:54 am

I must be like Goldilocks--I don't like foods too hot or too cold. (Deserts are on a whole different plane tho!)

I'm not against stew or any leftovers generally. (I actually prefer a lot of foods the second day.) For me it's about what the leftovers are/ingredients in the stew. Add bad ingredients into fresh cooking and it's bad the first time around! It just gets worse from there in subsequent meals!

Standing in line sucks, but I don't mind as much *if* there's a reason for it. What burns me up is when thing could clearly be done more efficiently and they're not being done so the line is created and going slower than it should. The lines in Russia looked terrible. Just seeing pictures of those day brings me agony just imagining how terrible that must be.

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:00 pm

wow! I am almost to page 100 - thanks for pointing that out Npixelz - I'll have to think of something to do to celebrate it.

There's veggies I'll add to stew if I'm the only one eating it but I try to be "safe" and use "generic veggies when I make it for other people who just like meat and potato with onion and garlic.

Postby Watery Star » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:40 am

I don't like my food too hot either. I always wait for it to cool down. When I microwave food I wait 5 minutes.
I rarely have stew because there's usually something in it I don't like. I wish I wasn't such a picky eater.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:52 am

I have food sensitivities so unfortunately I have to be picky otherwise I suffer for it later!

Postby star2000shadow » Fri May 06, 2016 4:45 am

'pokes head in and looks around' Hi 'waves'

Postby Balcan » Fri May 06, 2016 5:42 am

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:we eat a lot of quesadillas which our version is sprinkle some grated cheese on a tortilla, fold it in half and stick it in the toaster oven on toast... my friend heats hers up over the gas burner on her stove

I prefer borscht hot and I will add sour cream but not always. We also ate a lot of cabbage rolls and then we got lazy and just mixed everything in a pot instead of rolling the stuffing in the leaves and baking it.

I thought the joke was funny!

My friend told me stories of standing in long lines in Russia for food - you couldn't just go to a store you had to stand in a line for every item! Is it still like that?

We don't have bread lines anymore. At least not in the less poor areas. I can only speak for my hometown because I haven't been anywhere else. The people who refuse to eat old food or leftovers are people who have not known hunger. When you go days without eating, you are much less selective about food. It surprised me how kids can whine "I don't want that!" And their parents immediately took them to dine out. My mom would say "if you're hungry, you'd eat it. I guess you're not that hungry".

On a side note - on my not so common appearances here, I check the new posts. And the top hits are always game threads. Like count down from 1,000,000

I go to forums to communicate with people. Why would you pop in to just post a number?

Postby galled » Fri May 06, 2016 11:10 am

Balcan wrote:I go to forums to communicate with people. Why would you pop in to just post a number?

To hoard feathers of course! :cheeky:

Server Administrator

Postby Balcan » Fri May 06, 2016 12:25 pm

You can hoard feathers by having a regular conversation too.

Postby galled » Fri May 06, 2016 1:19 pm

Absolutely! I 100% agree!

Server Administrator

Postby Balcan » Fri May 06, 2016 3:52 pm

Pretty sure posts in hangouts and discussions are valued more than those in game threads in terms of feathers. I like the avatars and customizing them, but that comes second to me on community sites.

PreviousNext

Return to Hangouts