A place to meet new people, and hang out in a club.

Monkey's Magical Treehouse of Awesomeness

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Monkey's Magical Treehouse of Awesomeness

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:48 pm

Idk, he wants me to get a job that pays more and I want a job that I enjoy even if it doesn't pay that much.

Like, yeah, factory work pays. But I can't stand that kind of work. I don't want to do that kind of work. I'm not even like "It's an ok job, I don't mind it" when I do mind it. I don't want to work there. It's hard to work for someone you don't give a crap about and then make you miserable.

But one thing about this temp service....

They had me go in about a position I applied for (and I'm to blame too, I didn't mention it, I forgot what the job was because there are too many things on my mind) and you'd think they'd document somewhere the reason they had you come in. Like, seriously, though. I applied to many similar jobs and I didn't remember what that one was for, not that I really cared for that job anyway. I only applied to it because my dad sent it to me. I wouldn't have applied to any factory job if my dad never sent them to me. I used to work where my sister is, I hated it so much. I mean, I tried and everything, but I wasn't happy.

And my dad thinks McDonalds is going to pull the same shit as Subway. McDonalds is most likely not going to do what Subway did. Hell, I'll go find a second job I'd enjoy if I needed to, I just don't want to work somewhere if I hate that kind of job.

I got there and I got so freakin anxious, I'm too overwhelmed and life shouldn't be like that, you shouldn't be overwhelmed to a point you can't think straight. But that's how I feel right now.

I'm sorry if I sound super repetitive and whining too much.

Local time: Mon Sep 30, 2024 2:22 am

Postby galled » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:59 pm

I've found that if you tell people what's going on ("This is my first day." "I'm really nervous at interviews.") they'll be understanding to some level and will even go out of their way to help you.

A couple of tips:
1. Have a few things memorized (your schpeel). Where you went to school, what your hobbies are, your job history, what you liked about each job, etc.. The idea is to have something to say when you don't know what to say or get too nervous.

2. Try to ask questions of your interviewer. Ask first ("Can I ask you a couple of questions?"). Questions like, how long have you worked here? What is your title? What do you like best about this company? Do you have any advice for someone like me just starting out? It might seem kind of silly, but if you ask questions, you come across as more alert and personable. However, if you ask some wonky question, it can backfire, so be careful to keep it professional although a little personal is good. Like if you see a picture of young kids on their desk, ask if they're his/her kids. How old are they? Etc., etc..

The idea is the more you connect/talk to the other person, you'll become more comfortable with them (and each other--it works both ways).

With all of your interviews, you're fast becoming a pro at it!

Server Administrator

Local time: Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:22 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Mousy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:33 pm

I worked at McDonald's for a while in like... 2010.
It was not a bad company at all and it was one of those places that gave you the hours if you wanted them and if I remember correctly, the benefits for being full-time were really good too. I only worked part-time. Most of the customers were really nice and understanding of any wait times or mistakes and the cash register system was very user friendly. I worked windows and front counter. Some days all I did was fries. All. Day. Long. The pay wasn't bad and several of my coworkers had made a career out of it. McDonald's is one of those businesses that will be around for a very long time. So it has stability with it as long as you're willing to do the work which it sounds like you are.

The only reason I quit was because my managers were awful. They were husband and wife and couldn't separate their marital issues from their work issues. I would never hire a husband/wife team for my company. That just spells disaster. They were really hateful to anyone in college and I was working to buy books. That is not the norm and I could tell that even though my management was not very good, it was a good job to have.

The only con about working there was that I craved fries all the time because my work clothes constantly smelled like them. XD Those things are addicting!

Local time: Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:22 am

If you are talking to me, please ping or quote me. I get distracted and lose track of what I'm doing easily. :wink:

Postby Watery Star » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:14 pm

Your dad might not get the whole "better work experience over pay" concept. I took jobs that I felt confident I could do, the pay came second. I didn't want to work at a job that payed more that I would end up failing at or feeling overwhelmed. If he can't understand how you feel on this issue all you can do is shrug your shoulders and ignore any more of those job offers. If you'd rather work two jobs than one factory job then go do that.

McDonald's is a different company and not a Subway. Just because one company is overstaffed doesn't mean another will be. You wont know how they do their schedules until your on it.

Try to focus on what is immediately ahead of you. On a job interview focus on that position. When you start at McD's focus on what you have to do there. When at home give yourself a break and relax until you have to think ahead.

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:58 am

So, all the factory jobs fell through the cracks.... I'm so happy because I'm staying at McDonalds and I'm actually going to get paid $8 an hour instead of $7.25 which is minimum wage. I go to orientation Monday *which just so happens to be the 4th of July* and start on the very next day.

Postby galled » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:01 pm

Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Server Administrator

Local time: Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:22 am

Postby Watery Star » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:52 am

What time is orientation? Would you get to see fireworks?

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:21 am

It's in the afternoon. They're not going to make it happen at night. That would be weird.

Postby Watery Star » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:22 am

*Shrugs* I've had an orientation in the evening before.

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:31 pm

Eh, this is the first orientation I went to anyway.

Postby Watery Star » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:36 pm

How'd it go?

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:11 pm

whoops. wrong tense. I haven't had it yet. It's the first one I'm going to.

Postby Watery Star » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:18 pm

You did say Monday didn't you? I'm sorry ^^;

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:41 pm

No, it's my bad for being confusing with my tenses. I tend to accidentally speak in the wrong tense and that's not the best thing in the world.

Postby Watery Star » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:44 pm

I do that in my journal entries.

PreviousNext

Return to Hangouts