A place to meet new people, and hang out in a club.

Monkey's Magical Treehouse of Awesomeness

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Monkey's Hangout

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:52 am

We're not allowed candles, but for that reason, lol.

People apparently don't know how to make popcorn.

They probably use the popcorn button or something.

Local time: Sun Sep 29, 2024 6:31 am

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:59 am

I think I overdid it on the green, but, ya know, St. Paddy's Day.

PS: If you say St. Patty's Day, you are going to get pinched no matter if you're wearing green or not. You're saying that St. Patrick was a girl.

Paddy = Patrick
Patty = Patricia

The more you know.

Postby Ka Lai » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:22 pm

Haha, I think everyone here says Patty and Paddy almost interchangeably, so no one would really do the pinching thing.

Local time: Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:31 pm

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:22 pm

I'm still pinching people. =3= hmph. Lol.

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:03 pm

So, my head's about to burst. I'm writing a new Hetalia fanfic and I cannot come up with a title.

URGH!

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:30 pm

So, hopefully 3,000+ feathers would get me everything plus a little extra in case I want to give people something if they weren't able to afford it, perhaps like my sis or something.

I need this event to start :o

Been prepping for this moment, lol XD

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:20 am

>.> Patty.

Well, apparently it's now become a pet peeve.

It's Paddy, y'all!

http://paddynotpatty.com/

Proof, teehee.

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:39 am

Quick Irish lesson...

Paddy derives from the Irish name for Patrick, which is Pádraig.

If you say Patty, you're talking about either a Patricia or uncooked hamburger meat.

St. Pat's is absolutely fine, though.

This is why I'm going to pinch people.

Also, 4 leaf clovers aren't actually an Irish thing. Shamrocks are the 3 leaf clovers and have more significance. It's what St. PADDY used to teach the trinity with. Because St. Paddy was the one to convert Ireland into Catholicism. So, yeah. Throw out ye 4 leaf clovers, and pick them 3 leaf clovers.

Postby Diana » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:04 am

St. Patrick used shamrocks, a type of clover (white) which regularly grow in threes (hence the name: Trifolium family), not just any kind of clover. (Shamrocks/white clovers have heart shaped leaves, while other breeds of clovers have rounded edges). They're like squares and rectangles. All shamrocks are clovers, not all clovers are shamrocks.

Although the three leaf clover represents the holy trinity, the four leaf clover is used to represent love, luck, faith, and hope; much like the Claddagh, representing faith, trust, and loyalty.

So, since not everyone is religious or christian, it's prefectly acceptable to use whatever number of leaves they'd like. Doesn't make the plant any less native to any area. C:

Site Admin

Local time: Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:31 am

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:12 am

Yeah, I know that not everyone is Christian, but shamrocks are relevant to St. Patrick and 4 leaf clover are relevant so some whole other thing.

The whole holiday is wrapped around the whole St. Patrick converting the Irish, becoming the Patron Saint of Ireland. If it weren't for that, St. Patrick's Day wouldn't be a thing. :|

But I wasn't saying that 4 leaf clovers aren't less native, just that 3 leaf clovers are tied to St. Patrick and not 4 leaf clovers.

I messed up my wording when talking about the 4 leaf clover. I just meant that 3 leaf clovers are tied to St. Patrick. Not saying 4 leaf clovers aren't lucky. They just don't have anything to do with St. Patrick.

I know what shamrocks are, though.

Postby Lime » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:05 pm

I do say "St. Patty" because in English, if you're abbreviating a word, you use the last letter where you "cut" the word, which is "T". So "Patrick" does become "Patty".

I get the argument though, but it's how I prefer it. If people called it St. Pádraig's day, it would be "Paddy" for me, but it's not, since it's St. Patrick's. :)

But it's either or, really. I've never seen someone say St. Paddy's Day. But yeah! Personal preference I suppose.

Local time: Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:31 am

:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:
it's good to be back
if you see me here and there
feel free to say hey
:wink:
- A Lime Haiku
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:15 pm

Patty just seems really feminine too.

Like how, at least in the Hetalia fandom, Idk if people actually do this, call guys named Matthew Mattie, because that just seems like a girl's name, though it's typically spelt Maddie. Idk.

But don't spell it like that in Ireland...... just saying XD

//I don't live in Ireland but still.

Postby Ka Lai » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:43 pm

I am largely apathetic to how people say or pronounce it, but the history is interesting. xD

Are you Irish then?

Local time: Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:31 pm

Postby Bassy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:28 pm

Yes, we have Irish roots. (we are sisters.) Though I think St. Patricks is Patty because of 'Pat' with a t.

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Postby Sheep » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:07 pm

OKAY BUT. I actually learned more about St. Patrick's Day reading this thread for 3 minutes than I have in my whole life. Which is weird, considering my neighborhood is like... 80% Irish. A lot of people go wild about it, too. Parades and stuff. Everyone here calls it St. Patty's Day though, lol.

PreviousNext

Return to Hangouts