A place to meet new people, and hang out in a club.

Lemon's drop-inn

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Lemon's drop-inn

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:32 am

so true!

Local time: Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:17 pm

Postby Vivianne » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:33 am

How are you today? Anything exciting or notable?

Local time: Sat Sep 28, 2024 12:17 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:17 pm

ugh, working and just trying to get caught up on necessities. I've spent too much time watching the "Victorian era" shows and not multi tasking as I was watching...other then sitting and eating while I watched!

Postby Mouse » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:14 am

Sometimes it's good to relax like that! What do you do for work?

Local time: Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:17 pm

Postby MissAutumn » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:41 am

Have you finished watching Dickensian, Lemon? As Mouse says, it's good to relax and not multi-task.

Local time: Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:17 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:47 am

I'm a distribution sales associate with managerial tasks so I feel like I am constantly busy. I get side tracked with watching shows in my free time...which can be fine unless I take them to my dreams to figure out!

What is it you do, Mouse?

I just finished watching the Dickensian first season! It actually is more of a detective series which I wasn't expecting. I quite enjoyed it, trying to figure out who committed the murder, and I enjoyed the development of Dickens characters...who they were before Dickens stories began and how they got there. I have read or seen most of the stories of the characters that were involved and so names seemed familiar. I think I may rewatch "bleak house" again now though. The girl who was Honoria in Bleak House was the same actress who did Xfiles, She did an amazing job. BBC actors actually do an amazing job over all and the shows are generally top quality.

Postby Vivianne » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:33 am

Oh, that sounds like a great show, Lemon! Shows that worm their way into dreams are quality, tbh.

Mysteries are fun, and with characters already known to you is even better. I like stories that tell how characters got to a certain point in time; I’ll frequently seek prequels and half-steps in a series for that purpose.

Postby MissAutumn » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:57 am

I felt the same. I recall when it was being advertised as a "soap opera with Dicken's characters". It was a great look at how the characters would have been before their stories took place.

I watched Bleak House earlier this year (after I finished the novel). I thought I recognised the actress that played her. The BBC are kings of the period drama.

Watch any that are directed by Sally Wrainwright if you haven't already. Instead of doing novel adaptations she does biographical dramas. A couple of years ago she directed movie about the Bronte Sisters called "To Walk Invisible". It covers the period of them trying to become published writers and the decline of their brother, Branwell, as he became more and more dependent on drugs and alcohol.

More recently she filmed a series called "Gentleman Jack". It's based on the life of Anne Lister of Shibden Hall
in Halifax (Yorkshire, North of England). Lister is a very important figure in LGBT history. She left behind detailed coded diaries about her life, and her relationships with other women.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:27 pm

I'll definitely look for "To walk invisible". We as women in western culture today have had not had to deal with the social pressures and inhibitions of the past generations. Very few women were in places of power, instead had to secretly influence. Even writer's had to look they had male names to be taken seriously.

Postby Mouse » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:42 pm

I just work at a bank! I do csr tasks! Nothing crazy

What do you watch it on?

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:33 pm

I generally google search to see what I am looking for is available. Right now amazon prime has a large selection. I've watched BBC shows on cable before or DVD's from the library. I don't even think I have a DVD player anymore.

"Larkrise to Candleford" I watched from DVD's from the library. I loved that show!

"The story is seen through the eyes of a teenage girl, Laura Timmins (Olivia Hallinan), as she leaves Lark Rise to start a new life under the wing of her mother's cousin, the independent and effervescent Dorcas Lane (Julia Sawalha), who is Post Mistress at the local Post Office in Candleford."

Postby Vivianne » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:34 am

Lemon, do you have any amazon prime recommendations where the visuals tell a story alone?

Postby MissAutumn » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:44 am

Larkrise to Candleford is one of my favourite series. It's just a nice relaxing watch. It used to air on a Sunday evening. I rewatched all of them last year. I miss that show so much.

Postby Vivianne » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:18 am

Lemon, hope you are safe. Just read about the fires currently burning in Southern California.

Postby Mouse » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:30 pm

I hope you're safe too!

MissAutumn your avi is so cute :)

PreviousNext

Return to Hangouts