A place to meet new people, and hang out in a club.

Kit's Kitty Korner [back to work]

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Kit's Kitty Korner [JERB]

Postby npixelz » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:05 am

Hope it went well!

Local time: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:54 pm

Currently seeking event items
Minecraft guild
Owner of many titles
Creator of many forum games
The Fairy Garden is my main place, but you'll also find me in other hangouts
Lastly, much love to everyone, and remember; Positive Mental Attitude!
Keep being awesome
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:26 pm

Orientation is just the basic paperwork and rules stuff
The first night, on the other hand...
Three of us, two hired direct, one via a temp agency
Other direct was a tall blonde dude
Temp agency short round chick
I started on 6. Two gallon plastic bottles. Trimming them is a hot business. Packing, well, I'm slow. But first day
Other than the first 15 minute break, all the breaks were late
Blonde kid walked out about three hours in. So, my break wasn't until quarter after four, and my last 15 half an hour before shift end. Fucker
His bullshit also got me moved from 6 to 10, where there's no trimming hot plastic, just packing. He'd backed it up pretty bad too
I'm slow. But not in a backing everything up slow. If a fast pair gets everything caught up, there's no backing up, I keep pace on 10. Which is, hopefully, a good sign
Temp chick is having an estimate of one week before quitting. Hopefully by formal methods, not like blondie did
Got bit by cardboard, pinched by a stamp, thighs have line bruises from 10, and all the tape machines suck lol

hangout|art shop|card shop
BUTT CAPES
I need mah butt capes!
ImageImage

Postby galled » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:59 pm

Quite an eventful first day!

It all sounds potentially dangerous. Stay safe!

Server Administrator

Local time: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:54 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:28 pm

I hope the hot plastic is not hot enough to get burned by! But I suppose it would be easier to cut if it was soft.

I have no idea why a person doesn't at least last out the day and not just walk off. They shouldn't get paid for just taking off.

Sounds like you are committed to finishing the job! Hopefully the next week will show those above you that you are a keeper or show them to move you up to another position. Sorry you got injured though!

Postby npixelz » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:39 am

Sounds rough, but I know you can do it.

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:49 am

Yeah we have Kevlar gloves and heat gloves on
Along with sleeves and aprons. Still warm even with all that but they be hot
Also heat up the knives we use so cutting is easier

Today was entirely at 10. Girl was not happy with my speed, and the person she complained to pointed out hey, second day, give the kid a break. Water bottle. Godsend. Didn't feel like death after. I think I was a bit faster today
Temp agency girl never showed
Got nicked a few times, and a blister forming on my foot
Even have some skin scraped off
Breaks were earlier today, last night they were all fucked up from the kid walking

Is a 90 day probation period. I haven't learned all the lines (or products) so I don't know how well I'll do
We got caught up and then she ran out of tape
And then while she was on her first 15 break, the machine broke, so we caught up then. After that it was mostly pacing. A loft driver (because basically trimmer/packer is where everyone starts) showed me a neat little trick to have everything fit faster. And it works. Even when the boxes are being stubborn they're more cooperative

I'll probably be on 10 tomorrow too if what I've been told is any indication

Postby npixelz » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:32 am

Ouch, I'd hate to work where I get that many wounds

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:14 pm

Well, there were only about six of us, so 10 got shut down and I was put on 5. Woohoo another line :')
And turns out 5 kept breaking so it got a low output. But learned a few more things. Guy training me is confident that I'll make it
Volunteered for overtime on Saturday (six day week whee), may get mandated for overtime on other days. Four hours early for some, four late for others. Those days I'm not looking forward to if I was

Amazingly I woke up to both my cats on my bed. Doink snuggled up to my armpit, Rufus down by my feet
I swear my armpit is a kitten comfort spot for the lil shit

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:03 pm

Your kitties love you!

I am so happy to hear you have someone looking out for you to help make the work easier and faster. But sorry to hear about the nicks and blisters. Only a couple days and you are making progress and have stuck it out...all works in your favor I would think! Overtime extra money, short term or alternating makes it doable.
You go girl!

Postby Watery Star » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:10 pm

You're really taking it in stride! That's really admirable.

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:04 am

Well, supervisor decided to see how I'd do on 5 without a trainer
Not too bad, I can pace with it, but I don't have speed to catch up and I can't even pace, I fall massively behind
So for the rest of the day the group basically worked things so I didn't trim for the rest of the shift ahahaha

Postby npixelz » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:08 am

Go go, Kitalpha! Go go, Kitalpha!

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:25 am

Oh and it turns out they SLOW THE MACHINE DOWN FOR THE DAY SHIFTS
No wonder why third shift is known as the clean-up crew

Postby Watery Star » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:13 pm

Oof, that's rough when you already have had to work the evening.

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:11 pm

Yeah, start of the day me and the other girl assigned 5, she sent me to bulkheads and took over packing, both parts. She's quick enough to not only catch up there, but also help me catch up
She later sliced her thumb, so the guy on bulkhead and I ended up doing 1.5 spots, I was at the taping and stacking end of packing and the guy who had been packing had gone to trimming so he and I took over the packing until she came back and took over bulkhead and he settled into the packing
By the end of the day, because 7 had a new bottle that was different enough from the regular style to piss everyone off, I was the only one assigned to 5 that hadn't moved. They'd swapped people around so that 5 was still running, though

Oh, the quality guy asked why I wasn't stamping (third tends to not bother because quality rarely stays overnight). I already lost the damn thing ahahaha. The girl I mentioned earlier was pretty impressed that I lost it already, but I hear that losing it isn't all that uncommon
Almost lost my knife to a guy tho. Is pretty goofy, weird shape blocking the blade. Meant for basically opening and breaking down boxes, but it sucks at that so most people use box cutters. Unless quality is lurking or first shift is rolling in. Did ask him about it and get it back though, apparently those are fairly commonly stolen

PreviousNext

Return to Hangouts