A place to meet new people, and hang out in a club.

Monkey's Magical Treehouse of Awesomeness

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Monkey's Hangout

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:34 pm

Sometimes I wish my dad would just leave me alone with finding a job. Every single freakin thing is stressing me out and all he says is "I don't think you know what stress is." I've been trying to keep myself calm all day because I failed my spanish test after getting like 10 questions or so wrong because I mixed up a couple of things in Spanish. And the fact I have a hard time reading spanish. And my memory is so terrible as it is that it makes everything worse.

And every time I get a job interview, I always end up doing something wrong apparently, because no matter how hard I try, I can never land a stupid job, not even at a freakin McDonalds. The questions they ask are so stupid, questions I don't really have any experience for or I just don't remember a time I experienced something and when I tell them I don't, I feel like I did something wrong and bombed my chance.

I'm sorry about being all ranty and stuff, but I can't take it anymore. Like, I can't just keep it bottled up inside, like it builds up and I try to keep it where everything's okay. My dad doesn't even know how I'm feeling right now. He can't say I'm not stressed out when this past week I had an interview and had to pack all of my stuff up and move. I can only do so much at a time that expecting me to do many things would be the breaking point. Now, I have to bring up my Spanish grades and try to land a job even though I have NO idea what I did wrong in my interview. I don't know if it's the "I'm a college student with no work experience" or what, but someone needs to freaking hire me, I've been going at this for 5 freaking years now and no one wants to let me pass the interview stage. If they cut all the bs questions out, everything would be so much better. Like "Name a time where you had to solve a problem on your own without any help." And like, I don't have anything where it requires me to do it with no help at all. Like, unless it's a school test, everything else I can ask for help if I needed it and stuff. School is NOTHING like work and I have no work experience because people refuse to hire someone. My dad says I'm getting lazy, and maybe I am, but that's because every interview that ends with no job demotivates me and I just want to be like "Okay, whatever, I don't care anymore. Why even try when no one is nice enough to give me a job?" I have no idea what will become of me after school if I don't get a job. I'm terrified of that thought, but I just can't seem to land a stupid job. I need money like badly.

I just wanted to get this out of my system......... :

Local time: Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:07 pm

Postby galled » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:12 pm

Wow... take a deep breath.

I think the problem you and your dad have is you're both right in many ways. I know how the downward spiral of stress goes. It's not good, but if you think about it the only one who can fix your situation is you.

I wouldn't worry about the Spanish test too much. It's very early in the year so you have time to make it/minimize the low grade.

Regarding the interview questions, it's counterintuitive but the best answer when you don't know the answer is to say "I don't know, I don't have any experience with that but I want to learn." What freaks employers out most are people who know everything (either because they only think they do or they're overqualified).

Once you're back to an even keel, think about this: You can't give up. You just have to keep plugging along. Ask for help. If that doesn't work, ask others for help. The trick is actually taking the help/advice and doing your best. If you don't change anything, then nothing will change. You also need to be persistent--every no is one step closer to a yes. You probably didn't intend it this way, but no one "gives" you a job (well, unless you have a rich uncle or something! You need to earn it. You have to sell yourself to your employer. It's competitive out there and more people need work than there are jobs for them.

Now relax in your new digs and come at it fresh again the morning. One step at a time! :)

Server Administrator

Local time: Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:07 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:35 pm

like Galled said - breathe....

if you are like me you "overthink" things...McDonalds may just want to know you can handle a situation without freaking out...
[+] SPOILER
ie : I was cooking on the stove and the bacon grease caught fire so I turned off the heat, put a lid on the pot and used mitts to move the pan over to another element...
or.. the popcorn in the microwave started smoking so I turned off the microwave, turned on the stove fan and opened the window so the smoke alarm wouldn't go off and then I used mitts to put the popcorn bag in the sink until it cooled down so that the trash wouldn't catch fire...
or...the toilet started overflowing after I flushed it so I turned off the water at the back of the toilet found a plunger and unplugged it and then I used newspaper, because we were out of paper towels and I couldn't find rags, to mop up the floor and then disinfected the floor and toilet...
or... I was babysitting and one of the kids decided to jump off the couch and fell and hit their chin on the table so I made sure that the cut wasn't too deep to need stitches, looked in their mouth to see that they hadn't bit their tongue or cracked any teeth, calmed the child and cleaned the cut, put a bandage on it and notified the parents to see if they wanted any other treatment done...
or... I was handing out programs for a school play and we had more people show up then planned so I handed one program per family instead of to each person and let them know if there were any left after the show they were welcome to have another

or a big concern is availability and they may be worried that you will flake out on them because you are too tired from studying or something to that manner. An employer wants to know you will be dependable, flexible and a quick learner. A good line to remember is -"is there anything else you need me to do?-

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:07 pm

Yeah, I calmed down a little after, but sometimes things get so bottled up inside I just can't. I don't know, but I do know McDonalds were doing a big interview thing for Hiring Day or something. But I was just under so much pressure, it just building up that I was kind of at a breaking point and I just needed to let off some steam, and doing a stair climb really helped get my mind off of it. I mean, I signed their paper when they were at my college, I told them I was a college student, I think they understand that I am only available during certain times, and heck, it's walking distance so if I didn't have the van to drive, I could just walk there. Or perhaps catch a bus that goes around the town. And I was there a few minutes early for my interview, trying to have the impression of being responsible. But there has to be something I'm not doing correctly that I'm not noticing.

Postby Maro » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:17 am

hello people, looking for somewhere to chat at the moment.

Local time: Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:37 pm

Art by - ciel

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:43 pm

Hello! How're you doing?

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:48 pm

Monkey, let Mcdonalds know you signed up at their hiring day - introduce yourself (so they catch the name) and ask them if they have made any decisions yet - it will show you are interested and help separate you from the others.. especially if they went through a lot of applications.

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:22 pm

I did call them once, but I'm calling again because they didn't really answer my question the first time.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:29 pm

i'd go in and see them because then you put a face to the application...gives you time to look at the menu also in case they ask you other questions about what you know about what they offer.

Postby Maro » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:22 pm

i'm getting better slowly but surely

Local time: Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:37 pm

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:24 pm

Well, that's good.

1000th comment! :D Finally made it to this many replies!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:17 pm

Wow, Maro made the 1000th post! I did not realize the post count was up there at the top of the page! I am going to check out my threads and see where I am at.

Congratulations Monkeygirl!

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:03 pm

No, she was 999, I was number 1000, lol, you're 1001. lol

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:14 pm

but...as i write this it says 1003 replies, so wouldn't that make this one of mine 1004 right now? When I read your other one, before replying, the post count said 1001 ...either way... 67 pages is a lot of responses! Wahoo!
How are the new roommates? Who decorates the common area?

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:08 am

I've said "Hi" to each of them, I never really see them. Nobody decorated the common area, and you can't really hang anything up on the walls because they're dry wall and you can damage it by taking things off when using that sticky stuff to do that. Like, ya know, those command strips kinda stuff. I don't feel lonely like I did the last 3 weeks of my fall of 2014 semester, because unlike then, I have my own bedroom, but 3 other people live in the suite.

I should really go to sleep. I have a thing to help from 10-1 but when I tried sleeping earlier, I couldn't sleep. UGH!

PreviousNext

Return to Hangouts