A place to meet new people, and hang out in a club.

Yin cha hour

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Yin cha hour

Postby Adol Christin » Wed May 13, 2020 2:02 pm

I hope tourism recover.

China is trying it's best.

Kid got in trouble at school, had to write a bunch of random words for punishment. This one page, they had write ten pages.

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:05 pm

你好! 我叫张伟。很高兴认识你。
Hello! I'm Zhang Wei. I'm happy to meet you.
Easy confused.

Questing Yin Cha themed hang out

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed May 13, 2020 3:57 pm

Oh no! That's worse then writing a sentence 100 times like they did when I was in school.

The question is...does your child know what they did wrong and why it was wrong and what will they do the next time a similar situation presents itself? I guess you can discuss that with them. Life's lessons.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:05 pm

Postby Adol Christin » Wed May 13, 2020 4:55 pm

The same sentence 100 times seems terrible too

Kid and I had talk. Here in China, students often get physical punishment from teachers. This teacher insist on intellectual punishment, turn punishment into more schoolwork. I guess problem stemmed from not writing correctly. So she made kid write for punishment.

Postby galled » Wed May 13, 2020 6:48 pm

In my mind punishment seems to be the wrong approach until after positive reinforcement is not working. I have a big problem with punishment as a motivator because it more often than not it is just the beginning of a negative/downward spiral. For example, I've read that Amazon punishes their warehouse packers if they don't pack X amount of packages per hour. It would make more sense to me to offer bonus' for packers that exceed X packages per hour. Incentives work wonders, but the caveat is they must be obtainable or all is lost.

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Gingerale » Wed May 13, 2020 7:02 pm

writing more means more practice, that is for sure.

Physical punishment is not allowed here in our State and a Teacher can lose their job if they do. Punishments are sometimes "time outs", extra duties, writing "I will not -",(or whatever they are trying to impress), loss of privileges.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:05 pm

Postby Adol Christin » Thu May 14, 2020 1:11 pm

Galled, I think maybe that help more. China is very set in discipline though, I not sure how many would even try it just look at it as being too gentle. I try both. My kids are good kids but not perfect. So maybe I do something right. I hope.

In Chinese writing, you must write in certain order called stroke order and this kid doesn't like following it. Not sure why it seems to be so difficult but they really don't like using it but then characters are written incorrect and it shows.

I think teachers should not hit the students and not all schools allow it but it very prevalent here. I see nothing good about hitting children.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri May 15, 2020 8:06 pm

I was looking at your first post where you said" Finger ketou 磕头 (cant. Kowtow) is knocking your fingers on the table to show gratitude for your tea pourer, usually someone at the table. "

I always thought the finger tapping meant to keep pouring! :embarassed:

Postby Adol Christin » Fri May 15, 2020 9:01 pm

Kowtow is a tradition before emperor where one kneel down so far his head touch the ground. Kowtow consist of the characters for "knocking" and "head". It was sign of deep respect. So, finger Kowtow sign of respect for server. :cheer: I want to attend Yincha on trip to Hong Kong.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri May 15, 2020 9:16 pm

I hope you get to go! Then you can tell us all about it! :cheer:

Sounds like Yincha might be important like High Tea in England?

Postby galled » Fri May 15, 2020 9:18 pm

I thought about it before, but English tea time must have origin roots from China! Interesting!

I hope you get to go too! Hong Kong looks like a mega city like New York, Shanghai, or Tokyo! Exciting! :cheer:

Server Administrator

Postby MissAutumn » Fri May 15, 2020 10:23 pm

I think it did originally but overtime tea from India became more popular.

Here's hoping you're able to go to Hong Kong.

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:05 am

Postby Gingerale » Sat May 16, 2020 3:45 pm

Doesn't ShiroGem or one of our members live in Hong Kong? They might suggest some places to visit there.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:05 pm

Postby Adol Christin » Mon May 18, 2020 6:28 pm

Maybe high tea come from China. I don't know much about England.

Hong Kong very large. Zhengzhou is large too but I pretty sure hong Kong larger.

I do love all tea. I like oolong mostly. There good tea from India too. I think it called Darjeeling in English. I like your avatar miss autumn.

Oh, that'd be great.

How are you doing today my friends?

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon May 18, 2020 9:48 pm

Darjeeling tea is delicious!

Postby MissAutumn » Tue May 19, 2020 4:37 am

Darjeeling is a good tea. I like Assam too. :)

Thank you!

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:05 am

PreviousNext

Return to Hangouts