A place to meet new people, and hang out in a club.

Yin cha hour

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Yin cha hour

Postby Adol Christin » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:07 pm

I'm feeling better. I think I am tired because going back to work. But my wound do not hurt anymore. They have me doing easy work such as ticket booth. I had to answer question in English today and spoken English isn't so good. :embarassed:

Edit: forgot to answer Lemon's question. Wife does work. She's a...how to spell this...secretary.

Local time: Wed May 15, 2024 6:33 pm

你好! 我叫张伟。很高兴认识你。
Hello! I'm Zhang Wei. I'm happy to meet you.
Easy confused.

Questing Yin Cha themed hang out

Postby galled » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:46 pm

You seem to understand English very well. Do you read it here or use something like google translate?

You must read it because your replies do not have errors indicative of translation utilities.

Just a guess, but is Chinese your primary language? Where did you learn English? It really is excellent.

Server Administrator

Local time: Wed May 15, 2024 3:33 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Adol Christin » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:29 pm

Thank you so much!
Chinese is my mother tongue. I have learned English since I was in primary school. I think 10 or 11. It was a subject that I did good on. But I can read and write more easy than speaking. Sometimes I get stuck on words or phrases and have to use translator on Baidu. I also have strong Chinese accent and I get nervous that it's hard to understand me.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:52 pm

Adol: your English is VERY good! If you have problems speaking with a customer then just write it down and they will have no problem understanding you. :grin:

Postby Adol Christin » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:02 pm

Thank you much Lemon! It's the class I was best on school. I think my problem is confidence, not confident guy. Afraid I will mess up and they will laugh and mock me.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:57 pm

Most people are impressed when they go to another country and someone tries to speak their language to them!
I know I would be worried that I would say the wrong thing because the pronunciation in dialects in the Chinese languages can make one word mean something else.

Postby Adol Christin » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:08 pm

妈妈骂麻马吗? Māma mà mámǎ ma? Did mother scold the hemp horse?
Tongue twister use to show how important tones are, for Mandarin learners.

I was told it is considered a considerate gesture to try to speak with tourist in English. But in China, many people ignore tourist who struggle with speaking.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:10 pm

Well, at least there are electronic translators now. Do you speak Mandarin or Cantonese?

Postby Adol Christin » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:05 am

Lucky because sometimes I can't come up with words or phrase.

I speak Mandarin and know tiny bit of Cantonese and Taiwanese because wife is from Taiwan.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:03 am

What language do your wife and you speak together then? How about the children, are they learning 3 languages?

Postby Adol Christin » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:14 pm

My wife knows Mandarin. She doesn't know Cantonese but mother tongue is Taiwanese. She move to mainland China for jobs. The children have to learn English in school and she has not attempt to teach Taiwanese. So they only know Mandarin for now.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:18 pm

You can practice your English with your kids! Do you watch programs with English subtitles to try and learn as well?

Postby Adol Christin » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:22 pm

Yeah I do. I try listen to English language music as well.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:27 pm

We used to watch a kids program called Sagewa about a cat in the palace...I have no idea what the Chinese words mean but I remember how to sing them! It did teach about customs and the culture which was interesting.

Postby Adol Christin » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:35 pm

At work, I have friend from Korea and I know that sagwa is apple in Korean because he eats apple every day at lunch.
I look it up and it use characters for 瓜 gua, melon. 傻瓜,冬瓜,西瓜 : silly melon, winter melon, watermelon. Or so Wikipedia say. Their last name is 猫 mao cat. The word for cat sounds is 喵 miao. It interesting that they use 傻 in 傻瓜 sagwa name because it mean fool without context.
Sounds like interested show.

PreviousNext

Return to Hangouts