A place to meet new people, and hang out in a club.

Mouse's Hangout

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Mouse Embraces the Earth [A Hang Out Thread]

Postby Vivianne » Fri May 01, 2020 6:39 pm

You've improved so much! And your thread is almost 50 pages!

Local time: Sun May 19, 2024 11:26 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri May 01, 2020 7:45 pm

Mouse and Vivianne, you both are making great progress on your art...thanks for sharing your creations!

Mouse, you put such character into the details!

Vivianne, I am thinking a T-shirt with your art would be really really cute.

Local time: Sun May 19, 2024 10:26 am

Postby Mouse » Sat May 02, 2020 6:28 am

A tshirt would be so cute!!
And thank you!! I had enough time yesterday to actually take forever!

Local time: Sun May 19, 2024 9:26 am

Postby Vivianne » Sat May 02, 2020 7:50 am

...I sort of already have most of the words for a picture book thing. Maybe now I can draw it. :D I think that would be cute, too! I also had a blog idea a while back that I might be able to do now, and tshirts would go well with it.

Postby Mouse » Sat May 02, 2020 8:18 am

You should! And let me see it! I will happily follow the blog!

Postby galled » Sat May 02, 2020 8:45 am

It's actually not too difficult to get a book (on demand printing--self publish) on Amazon. You should illustrate your story and make a book!

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Vivianne » Sat May 02, 2020 8:57 am

Um, my personal situation involves stuff that complicates that, unfortunately. I need to figure out how to do any of this, including a blog, with minimal backlash. I might not be able to start anything until after 2021. :/

Postby Mouse » Sat May 02, 2020 9:30 am

Well, I will happily wait to see it :)

Postby galled » Sat May 02, 2020 9:38 am

Although I've never self-published any books, I'm a former best-selling author of 9 books that are printed in 11 different languages (which are also sold on Amazon--not sure if any brick and mortar stores that used to carry my books exist as retail distributors anymore). The digital formatting for printing is the same. If this is something you'd like to do, I would be happy to layout your digital material into a format that Amazon on-demand services requires. You can create the account and book, but you can "publish" or "release" the book on any schedule you choose. I'm sure it'll take a while to get everything created, so there's no deadline or anything.

Just keep creating your artwork and if it fits your story bits, perhaps you'll see if it all goes together to make the contents of a book. And if at that point, it's something you'd like to take to that next level, I'm here to help you if you like! :hug:

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Sat May 02, 2020 9:48 am

Ah, my restrictions are in the hobbies/work/income variety. If I do anything these days, it has to be pretty anonymous or I get into major trouble. Sadly, this is the case for a lot of disabled people. I'm kind of waiting to see how politics swings.

I'll research Amazon on demand and other on demand services. There might be a workaround.

Postby galled » Sat May 02, 2020 10:00 am

I see. It's pretty difficult to make enough money self-publishing to come up on anyone's radar. Of course you set your sale price and by extension profit for your merchandise. You could price/sell at break-even or even a loss. Amazon would have to get their cut/pay, but losing money self-publishing is the norm. :/

But with on-demand publishing, it's not like you have to pay up front to print a minimum number of books (expensive!). People used to do that and some still do, but it's getting to be rarer because you can just on-demand a few copies for keepsakes/gifts/samples (to feed the ego!) and be done with it. :)

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Sat May 02, 2020 10:11 am

I think because of the programs I'm on, more than $1 in earnings has to be self reported or I could face legal repercussions. I'd also have to keep track of hours worked and could face consequences there if I work too much, regardless of profit or loss.

So, yeah, maybe I can format a PDF and anonymously release it into public domain, but anything involving money is trouble, especially with unpredictable streams.

If it gets formatted right and I cc0 it, I think people can on demand their own copies and I don't have to worry about repercussions with my insurance.

Postby galled » Sat May 02, 2020 11:10 am

One could also donate all proceeds to their favorite charity too. Not sure about the work thing because I'd argue your art is therapy/hobby (which is why you do it now, right) and you already wrote the story. So there are many options. Just dot all of the i's and cross all the t's, but you know that! :)

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Sat May 02, 2020 11:20 am

I'm a bit nervous because people have gotten in trouble for hobbies and volunteering. No idea how common that is, specifically, but I really can't lose health insurance.

The government will be asking me what I do during the day, and if they think I'm falsifying anything they will monitor me.

Like, everyone saying people on benefits are moochers and lazy don't seem to realize how stressful it actually is.

Postby galled » Sat May 02, 2020 11:27 am

I understand. I'm not pressuring you. Just offering up options. No worries! :)

The last thing I want to do is stress you out!

Server Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Hangouts