A place to meet new people, and hang out in a club.

Arc Barc

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Arc Barc

Postby galled » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:35 pm

Flying (aviation) is safer than driving because the training and certification requires you to be proficient enough to fly responsibly. (I am a flight instructor and hold all flight instructor and ground instructor ratings IRL.) Driving standards are relatively much lower.

The scary part is they have lowered the flight test standards because not enough people in the DEI spectrum can pass and subsequently be hired...

Server Administrator

Local time: Fri May 17, 2024 2:07 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Ashton » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:28 pm

:shock:

Local time: Fri May 17, 2024 5:07 am

Postby Arc » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:56 pm

Wow, an actor and a flight instructor. You're so interesting, galled! ^^

Since the test standards have been lowered, has there been a noticeable difference in the way people fly? Like more accidents or mishaps, maybe people not being fully prepared to fly? Etc.

Local time: Fri May 17, 2024 4:07 am

Postby Gingerale » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:37 pm

Since standards have been lowered there have been problems every where, but I would think those in charge of the responsibility of mass numbers of people it could be detrimental to life and limb.

Local time: Fri May 17, 2024 1:07 am

Postby Ashton » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:42 pm

let natural selection take its course?

Postby galled » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:52 pm

Almost all of my work has been behind the scenes. ;)

Oh, yes. There's been more incidents and accidents in aviation the last couple of years than we've had in decades. Unfortunately the trend seems to be increasing rather than decreasing--really silly mistakes that never should have happened. What's happened in the past is people have to die before anything is done (at the FAA we called it Tombstone Policy Making). :(

Server Administrator

Postby Ashton » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:07 pm

oof

Postby Arc » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:49 am

Geez, that's such a sad policy name. D'; But it's so sad that it has to take multiple people dying before something gets done.

Local time: Fri May 17, 2024 4:07 am

Postby Ashton » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:41 pm

sounds similar to my work place but it requires serious injury or bad press to change anything here

Postby galled » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:55 pm

It is sad and tragic. But it's physics--a body at rest tends to stay at rest unless acted upon by an outside force. People will tend to do nothing unless there's a great reason to act. When dealing with huge complex systems it's easier to do nothing or push it off until there's enough pressure to actually work/do your job unfortunately. The minions can see it coming and sound the warning bells, but those in power who can change things lack leadership skills.

It's unfortunate that our system is so messed up that the skills required to run for office or ass-kiss enough to be appointed to top positions are the opposite to actual leadership skills.

I saw that you dropped Twitter/X after Elon took over. That's a good example of this. Love him or hate him Elon has excellent leadership skills. Being a leader isn't a popularity contest (while politics and government are). In fact a good leader is one that sees things (that are actually beneficial) that most people don't, and a great leader is one that can convince a majority of people of their vision and get it done. I think Elon will be proven right (again) in time.

Server Administrator

Postby Ashton » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:11 pm

we had a mercury spill/leak issue a few years ago at my workplace and it was such a sh*t show. the shift that it happened on was told to go home without being tested and the next shift got held up in the cafeteria for almost 8 hrs and we lost our shoes. the shift it happened on didnt lose their shoes until the next day so they would have tracked mercury all over their cars and homes by then. they tested the shoes and decided that since 1 pair had mercury on it that they were just going to get rid of all our shoes and just pay us for the cost we paid for the shoes to begin with. we had to bring in a receipt for the new shoes we had to buy in order to get paid for them. my shoes were newish and cost about $150 as they were military grade tactical/police force boots and there were people there who wore $250+ shoes. they had to pay us quite a bit and in the end I believe the safety person of our building got the boot as it was rumored they tried to cover it/down play it.

Postby galled » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:16 pm

OMG~! Typical...

So sorry, Ashton. The shoes can be replaced. Medical issues (mercury poisoning is very serious) are orders of magnitude a bigger concern.

Has anyone gotten sick?

Server Administrator

Postby Ashton » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:26 pm

not that im aware as the amount was small and i think it came from a package that was either sent to the wrong machine and broke or was not labeled properly to begin with. they had to close our building for about a month and we were all sent to the building down the road which is similar to ours but they handle a different variety or package codes than we do but our work had to be routed there. they have way more floor space than us (everything is ground lvl) but our building has more floors total (most machines are overhead). I knew quite a few of the people there already so it wasnt as bad but it was a bit chaotic as we couldn't park at the building due to space limits so we had to go to our building and get bussed to and back from the other building.

Postby galled » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:44 pm

Glad it was handled and no obvious issues. It doesn't take a lot of mercury to a problem.

I recall one of the emporers of China was given mercury drinks a way to achieve immortality. Of course it had the opposite effect... quacks...

Server Administrator

Postby Ashton » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:42 pm

galled wrote:Glad it was handled and no obvious issues. It doesn't take a lot of mercury to a problem.

I recall one of the emporers of China was given mercury drinks a way to achieve immortality. Of course it had the opposite effect... quacks...

its funny you mention the emperor because i just listened to a story about him. he had a much higher amount and he actually consumed it where as we didnt

PreviousNext

Return to Hangouts