A place to meet new people, and hang out in a club.

Shiro's Hangout |staying active!!|

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Shiro's Hangout |staying active!!|

Postby ShiroGEM » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:29 am

Thank you all for the cheers! My last class is in a few hours so i'm super happy to have made it :D Gonna have a couple months off before I start actively job hunting. Hows everyone been?? I heard that the states have been super hot lately, like 45 celsius?? Make sure to stay hydrated for sure!

Definitely looking forward to playing some games during my time off before job hunting. Been playing Honkai Star Rail and Genshin Impact whenever I have the chance. Also super excited for Fashion dreamer for the switch!

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 3:01 pm

chris | they/them | hong kong
Hangout • Wishlist • AvisSketchbook • Items I've Made
Art Shop!

pixel by Mouse

Postby galled » Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:06 pm

Wonderful! Will there be a graduation? Any ideas of what kinds of jobs you'll be applying for?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Server Administrator

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 12:01 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby ShiroGEM » Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:17 pm

galled
Thank you!! I'm skipping the ceremony because the university is based in the States (and flying there is expensive :P ) I'm getting my degree mailed to me instead. Not sure what kind of jobs I can apply for, but I'm open to anything really. There's a market for graphic designers in my country but not so much for illustration, so I'll have to see! Definitely something with fix hours though.

Postby MissAutumn » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:39 pm

Congrats on finishing your degree! Have a nice long break before the job hunt. You've earned it.

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 7:01 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:04 pm

Wahoo! Congratulations! :cheer:

I am glad you can take a little break before having to get a steady job. That was hard earned! You are so talented I am sure someone will recognize it... and then you will be in demand!

Have your own little graduation party!! :heart:

Postby npixelz » Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:24 am

Congrazzles! You made it through! And I'm sure you'll be able to get a good job with your skills!
Also my sister is in the Genshin grind as well!
Also also what is Fashion Dreamer? Is it a dress up game? If so I might look into it!

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 2:01 am

Currently seeking event items
Minecraft guild
Owner of many titles
Creator of many forum games
The Fairy Garden is my main place, but you'll also find me in other hangouts
Lastly, much love to everyone, and remember; Positive Mental Attitude!
Keep being awesome
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Postby ShiroGEM » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:13 pm

MissAutumn
Thank you!! I definitely want to catch up on sleep :D

Lemon Cheesecake
Thanks! To be honest I don't really expect my first job to be related to art or design. It would be nice to gain experience doing things outside of my field of study. :3 Of course, the dream is to do art as a side gig

npixelz
Thank you too pixelz!! Genshin has so much content now... the grind never ends! Fashion Dreamer is a dressup game dropping on Nov 2nd. I heard it's kind of like the sequel to Style Savvy (though I've never played that one myself). I'll link the trailer here!
https://youtu.be/nI6P9j4ouRw

Postby galled » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:29 pm

I didn't know your school was US based. That's interesting! Care do share which it was? (OK, if you're not comfortable with sharing.) Yep, that's too far to travel.

I thought you degree is in art (not sure what specifics). Did you get a BFA in digital art or something similar?

Server Administrator

Postby ShiroGEM » Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:12 pm

galled
I wasn't allowed to study abroad so they actually had a campus in my country but it shut down due to COVID. T_T I did a BFA in Sequential Art at SCAD! Originally wanted to do animation but they didn't offer that online so I switched to the closest thing~

Postby npixelz » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:23 am

And it looks amazing too! Evert character looks so cool! And the locations are amazing! I've watched my sister play it and it blows my mind!

Ooo that looks cool! Remind me around November about it, please!

Also that's a rip they didn't offer animation online

Postby galled » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:36 pm

Thanks for the info, very nice!

Sequential Art at SCAD is very cool! I had a look at SCAD and they do offer employment help/leads. You could see what they have--having a company seek you out is a great place to start!

Animation is just many frames of still art! :)

In movie making, we storyboarded things before shooting, so sequential art is essentially the same thing.

The important bits are understanding the design stuff (story structure--including character development/arcs is what makes the biggest difference IMHO). I've seen so many with the technical abilities composition/framing, lighting, etc., but without being clear on overall direction (story and themes) the techniques for maximizing beats are non-sensical and/or wasted.

Do you have any ideas or visions for your own creations you might develop on your own with or without a job?

Best of luck on your search and enjoy your break!

Server Administrator

Postby ShiroGEM » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:56 am

npixelz
I love the overall aesthetic and worldbuilding of genshin, but the music is what I stayed for in the end. They use a lot of traditional instruments and some of it is super relaxing.

Will do! o7 Maybe i'll post screenshots when I find out how to port them from switch to PC

Yea it's a bit tragic, but what I ended up doing was pretty good too! Gotta make the most of unfortunate events I guess. I ended up investing in my home workspace and I don't regret it one bit!

galled
I did take a look there but a lot of the career help is quite centric to the States :strain: We did cover different types of boards during our study! I did animation focused boards for the most part, but I love seeing movie ones too, especially the boards for Parasite (the Korean movie), they're so simple but clear!

I totally agree with the story structure, though I think that usually falls on the script writer and director. A movie/show production is too large for the storyboard artist to consider the overall narrative and direction. OTL But we learnt a lot of that through comic script and production, which is more feasible as a one or two person job.

I'd love to get a job that can financially support merch making for fun. Some fanart, might dabble in short comics here and there too. I'm definitely looking forward to get back into drawing items again!

Thank you all for sticking around all this time too :heart: feels crazy how I started this hangout thread in middle school... all the embarrassment :scream:

Postby galled » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:14 pm

Many digital jobs are remote, so it may be worth looking. On a positive spin, if there were any jobs local to you, you'd probably have a smaller pool of applicants to stand out from. ;)

I saw Parasite (wasn't really impressed--and thought 1917 should have won best picture that year... one of the best-ever cinematic achievements IMHO) and can image the story boards. An animated feature would have identical story boards to a movie. TV commercials are story boarded too--the skill sets are the same, but what separated the board artists is their understanding of the design stuff because it makes the process more of a collaboration rather than the artist just being a tool if that makes sense. The philosophy at my school was to produce auteurs (artists who can do any of the required jobs), so the length of the final product was really irrelevant (other than time and resources).

That sounds totally doable! Keep us posted on what you do and come with!

Ya, it is crazy isn't it?! So much time and it all went by so quickly. We're looking forward to the next years! <3

Server Administrator

Postby npixelz » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:14 am

I'll have to listen to the music, then!
That'd be cool!
That's good! You made the most out of it!

Oh don't get me thinking of school me with the first avatar and chat site I visited! You talk about embarrassment, but that doesn't begin to come close to how I feel about those times!

Postby ShiroGEM » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:07 pm

galled
That is true, I did consider it but I think I want to get a sense of my local community before considering a job that might need me online at 9PM-6AM :strain: I kind of missed out on 4 years of outdoor life during classes. I'm glad a lot more gigs are remote though so I'm not ruling out the possibility entirely :wink:

I didn't watch Parasite until 3 years later (I also never finished it because the flight I was on was too short and I got to the most stressful part of the movie before it cut off :frustration: ) I would say the main difference between 2D animation and TV boarding is considering the technical difficulty of drawing it vs. the difficulty of shooting it in real life. For instance studio GoHands has a tendency to choose a lot of strong angles that requiring foreshortening, even when the moments don't require it. I do love seeing advertisement boards, they're drawn with a lot more detail than tv series/movie boards.

It helps a lot to have experience and knowledge in everything though, so being able to do almost everything is a really valuable skill. I'd say it's even more useful in my country where advertising is so competitive and creative!

Will do! :cool:

Definitely! This thread feels like a memory keepsake of some sort :cheer:

npixelz
Please do! There's a bunch of concert recordings that compile some of the more iconic soundtracks, but each region in the game has a unique cultural style and I love it a lot!

:cheer: The goal is to make many new threads so the old embarrassing ones get buried! Just kidding. Do you ever look back at those posts? Windlyn wasn't my first but it's definitely my favourite to chat on, so it's got the most posts from me.

PreviousNext

Return to Hangouts