A place to meet new people, and hang out in a club.

Shiro's Hangout |staying active!!|

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Shiro's Hangout |staying active!!|

Postby ShiroGEM » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:21 pm

Totally unrelated: now that I'm freed from school, exciting things might be coming :wink: better watch out!

Lemon Cheesecake
I usually get mint tooth paste and it doesn't really taste like that, but it does an artificial twinge that resembles some flavoured tooth paste (in my opinion) :P

They usually have pastries in coffee shops rather than icecream! But the town I stayed in leans towards ice pops and shaved ice (historically it was the most cost effective dessert) so I can imagine it was a matter of cost

I've started job hunting :strain: I don't have much work experience so I'm probably going to start from intern positions first. But overall I've just been applying to job openings and hoping to hear back~

galled
I think that scenario is hell on earth xD It tastes nothing like medicine but herbal candies were one of the ones I was allowed to have a kid. I guess someone thought of it so it could be marketed as 'healthy'

Gingerale
Definitely! I got a bit tired of whacking a roach every 5 minutes though, SO glad to be back in my apartment
It's funny because despite the lack of hard deadlines, I've still been self setting some. I found out I have to set them no later than 3 days otherwise I won't finish anything :cry:

npixelz
Why is that meme PERFECT?

Local time: Mon May 20, 2024 11:25 am

chris | they/them | hong kong
Hangout • Wishlist • AvisSketchbook • Items I've Made
Art Shop!

pixel by Mouse

Postby npixelz » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:51 pm

Idk why, but reading about mint toothpaste makes me think of Donkey from Shrek saying to the dragon "do I detect a hint of minty freshness?" Or something similar lol
Good luck on job hunting! Make sure to aim properly so the job dies instantly and doesn't suffer! (Get it? Job HUNTING? As in, hunting in the wilderness?)

Whackaroach

Ikr!?

Local time: Sun May 19, 2024 10:25 pm

Currently seeking event items
Minecraft guild
Owner of many titles
Creator of many forum games
The Fairy Garden is my main place, but you'll also find me in other hangouts
Lastly, much love to everyone, and remember; Positive Mental Attitude!
Keep being awesome
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Postby galled » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:07 pm

LOL, perhaps there was a healthy ingredient, but once you smoother it in sugar--well, makes you wonder how much health is in there!

An internship is great way to get experience. What I've learned is art is skill-based and experience is secondary. Experience doesn't equate to skill in these industries--all experience can indicate is chances are better you don't suck terribly and you probably don't have social and time management issues. For the most part portfolio/reel/body of work will trump experience. The hard part is connecting with someone at the company that heads/understands/manages art. Once you find that person you'll be able to connect.

What kind of art would you like to do? For example, if you're looking to do commercial art, you might offer a business to re-do their logo, create a flyer, brochure, catalog, branding materials for a very reasonable price (or for free). Once that that's printed, sent out, posted, etc., you'll have proven "experience" as a professional.

Server Administrator

Local time: Sun May 19, 2024 8:25 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby npixelz » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:52 pm

There's so much forms of art to pick from! Even writing is a kind of art!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:10 am

Yikes! I don't know if I could stay in a place that had so many roaches that you are constantly whacking them!!!

I agree, Internships are a good resource & place to begin if you can get them.

Online sales here allow a person to creatively find a way to sell their art ... like Galled mentioned, stickers, logo's ... & work from home doing it. I think it is good to get out into the work force but it doesn't hurt to be able to work in your own time at home either.
Good luck!

Postby npixelz » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:11 pm

I agree on all points

Especially the roaches part *shudders*

Postby ShiroGEM » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:18 pm

Phew I can finally chill a bit :3 Happy early Halloween! Hope everyone enjoys the event, the team worked very hard on it!

npixelz
You've just unlocked a core memory in me that I wished I never had :scream: My friends made me watch all three Shrek movies in one sitting

Thanks for the luck! I think I'd be terrible at job hunting with my nonexistent aim in Overwatch :P

galled
In my family it was common knowledge that anything with added sugars couldn't be too healthy :O I was banned from lots of candy and we only stocked dark chocolate in the house (75% and above)
The true 'healthy' snack was Haw flakes, but they were still pretty sweet. Other than that we also had dried plums in candy wrappers.
[+] SPOILER

It's definitely skill based, but experience can show reliability and reliability is often more important than skill. I've heard so many horror stories from editors where artists have ghosted or weren't communicative about their life circumstances which basically puts people on the black list when they're just breaking in :worry: Curating a portfolio is difficult xD but I'll do my best

Branding materials are a good start for graphic design but in my country a lot of corporations are looking for people to work within a pre-existing brand identity. I don't mind either though! It would be nice to fit illustration somewhere too :O I'm in the middle of making social media assets for a friend. There's also future proofing to think about... thinking of getting into video editing more because motion design is harder to automate/autogenerate. Gotta stay one step ahead :scream:

Lemon Cheesecake
At some point you get immune to the roaches (until they crawl over you)

I'd love to make merchandise one day and sell them online! I think I've mentioned this in the past but I am obsessed with journaling stationery items. There's been a rise in creative/illustration fairs here too, so tabling is on my bucket list. :3

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:28 pm

Sounds like you have ideas ... hope you can make the dreams come true!

Postby npixelz » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:39 pm

Oops! Sorry!
Who do you main in Overwatch?

Talking about roaches reminds me of that one scene in Coraline where she smacks bugs in the shower

Postby ShiroGEM » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:44 pm

Lemon Cheesecake
Thank you!! Me too :3

npixelz
I stopped playing in like 2018 because my bootcamp macbook died but I was a healer main! Mostly Moira followed by Lucio and Mercy. I think the only DPS I could play was Soldier because I can never remember where any of the healing packs were (my navigation was terrible). Do you play?

Postby npixelz » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:03 am

Rip. Healers are great. I do not play, but I watched Jacksepticeye play and my favorite was Zenyatta! The whole yin-yang balance stuff is totally up my alley, and I prefer support characters anyway

Postby ShiroGEM » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:59 am

npixelz
I didn't know Jacksepticeye played! :O I love Zenyatta but he requires good aim to get damage in (which I severely lack :P) Do you have a favourite tank? They're not called support but honestly they're very team oriented roles so sometimes I feel like they're more support than healers are

Postby npixelz » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:06 am

He played awhile ago. Any time I get in an Overwatch mood I rewatch his series on it, lol.

Is Reinhardt a tank?

Postby npixelz » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:10 am

If so, him

Postby ShiroGEM » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:17 am

Npixelz
Yea he's a tank! I like Reinhardt too, love his animated short a lot! His series must be a little dated then :O I'm not a big fan of the changes they made in OW2 myself, even if it was for the sake of balancing :P

PreviousNext

Return to Hangouts