A place to meet new people, and hang out in a club.

Shiro's Hangout |staying active!!|

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Shiro's Hangout |staying active!!|

Postby galled » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:53 pm

Marketing research! Sounds interesting! I imagine it's probably mostly online these days (MR and school, but referring to MR). Way different today! We should chat about it when things clear out for you.

A lot of people are really selfish today. It seems more so than ever. :(
(Those hoarding TP was just a symptom of our times...)

It sounds like the powers that be over there have a plan and system in place. We have too many fiefdoms here fed with overwhelming bad info. It's just a step or two from total chaos to be blunt. Fear has started shifting to anger. I think it's going to get worse before it gets any better... and that's not including the virus!

I'm glad you guys can see daylight/the other end coming! It's comforting to know there is some sanity left!

Server Administrator

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:21 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby ShiroGEM » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:36 am

Oh man, I had to put up with my mom hoarding toilet paper... yes I am outing her... she got mad at our family for saying she hoards because apparently "we have to think for ourselves"
It's been 4 months and we have yet to need restocking on toilet paper c': So.... yea

I did hoard like 80 packets of instant noodles though, mostly because they started selling them in boxes of 40 and it is my go to instant dinner (I used to eat dinner at 3 am). So I'm definitely not guilt free either, but the toilet paper thing was actually insane xD thank god it's fine now

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:21 pm

chris | they/them | hong kong
Hangout • Wishlist • AvisSketchbook • Items I've Made
Art Shop!

pixel by Mouse

Postby murmurlade » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:00 am

galled
It's interesting. Or well, my lecturer makes it seem so. I think it mostly depends on the research topic. For my assignments I've done the video game industry/children's parties/online classes (a whole mess mix lol) so I've been having fun so far.
It's really sad that a few people started acting like absolute clowns and others followed suit.. I hope you guys are doing okay despite, well, being surrounded by clowns. Be safe.
I know Australia is going through another strict lockdown again...... does the US not have that thing where if cops catch u not wearing a mask u just get fined immediately?

----------------------------------------
taugeeee @ twitter / deviantart / gaia
currently: questing bubble wings

always semi-hiatus due to work
please ping me if you want a reply.
----------------------------------------

Postby galled » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:00 pm

murmurlade wrote:It's interesting. Or well, my lecturer makes it seem so. I think it mostly depends on the research topic. For my assignments I've done the video game industry/children's parties/online classes (a whole mess mix lol) so I've been having fun so far.

It is fascinating learning/seeing how people behave. I would have thought that today the end-all of marketing is google and the ilk (e.g. click marketing). We know it's not completely accurate because you can hide your activity on the internet, but I think it's the best we have since people don't answer their phones much anymore, it's too expensive to go door-to-door, junkmail is also expensive and people lie on surveys anyway. I also think people don't want to let their true feelings/thoughts be known too due to "cancel culture" mentality. :cry:

Any insights into what you're learning?

murmurlade wrote:
It's really sad that a few people started acting like absolute clowns and others followed suit.. I hope you guys are doing okay despite, well, being surrounded by clowns. Be safe.
I know Australia is going through another strict lockdown again...... does the US not have that thing where if cops catch u not wearing a mask u just get fined immediately?

We're doing fine, but it's really surreal to see how we've become in many instances like a third world country (shelves are still empty at the stores, travel is restricted, the riots, and the latest is they're cutting our power systematically--"rolling blackouts").

A friend of mine in Oz got his haircut the other day. I asked if he had to get it cut outside, and couldn't understand why I would ask such a thing. Here in California, you can't cut hair unless you do it outside. It isn't a problem cutting hair inside in Oz, but somehow the guidelines for COVID seem to not apply anymore once you set foot into a barber or salon. :strain:

Yes, they're saying you can be fined for not wearing a mask--which is fine I suppose, but everyone can't seem to agree when a mask is required. It's chaos, I tell ya! Chaos!! :worry:

Server Administrator

Postby murmurlade » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:45 pm

galled wrote:It is fascinating learning/seeing how people behave. I would have thought that today the end-all of marketing is google and the ilk (e.g. click marketing). We know it's not completely accurate because you can hide your activity on the internet, but I think it's the best we have since people don't answer their phones much anymore, it's too expensive to go door-to-door, junkmail is also expensive and people lie on surveys anyway. I also think people don't want to let their true feelings/thoughts be known too due to "cancel culture" mentality. :cry:

Any insights into what you're learning?

Ohh so like for MR the focus actually isn't on actual product/service marketing- we don't do things like advertisements/cold calling/leaflets and the like. (we study that in Principles of Marketing or Digital Marketing, other subjects lol) MR is more about big data/primary and secondary research, the different methods and processes and stuff like that! So we had to learn about conducting surveys- how the utilization of the 5 Point Likert Scale will affect responses to the survey (answers will be skewed to either end/neutral and all those sorts of stuff! The emphasis is on the research bit, not the marketing haha. All of our subjects are weirdly named sometimes.

galled wrote:We're doing fine, but it's really surreal to see how we've become in many instances like a third world country (shelves are still empty at the stores, travel is restricted, the riots, and the latest is they're cutting our power systematically--"rolling blackouts").

A friend of mine in Oz got his haircut the other day. I asked if he had to get it cut outside, and couldn't understand why I would ask such a thing. Here in California, you can't cut hair unless you do it outside. It isn't a problem cutting hair inside in Oz, but somehow the guidelines for COVID seem to not apply anymore once you set foot into a barber or salon. :strain:

Yes, they're saying you can be fined for not wearing a mask--which is fine I suppose, but everyone can't seem to agree when a mask is required. It's chaos, I tell ya! Chaos!! :worry:

That's so strange! If anything, Malaysia and other countries in SEA are still developing countries but life has returned to normal, in comparison to a developed country like the US. Also why are they doing blackouts?!?1 I'm so confused!!

But also like??????? ??? What lol! You have to get your hair cut outside? Is this a new Covid rule? What's the difference??

As long as you step OUTSIDE THE HOUSE a mask is required. Holy crap. I hope everyone just gets fined. If anything, it's like, why are people so entitled? Even if regulations are put into place, they're not enforced at all. I was so worried 2 nights ago when I fell sick and had a fever around 5am at night bc I was supposed to go out with my sister the next day. If your temperature is higher than the avg you're just absolutely not allowed in, no matter what. The same goes for forgetting to bring your masks- even if you do forget, that's not an excuse! They'll sell you a damn mask for $0.20 and you can't weasel your way out of it!!!!

Postby galled » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:32 pm

murmurlade wrote:Ohh so like for MR the focus actually isn't on actual product/service marketing- we don't do things like advertisements/cold calling/leaflets and the like. (we study that in Principles of Marketing or Digital Marketing, other subjects lol) MR is more about big data/primary and secondary research, the different methods and processes and stuff like that! So we had to learn about conducting surveys- how the utilization of the 5 Point Likert Scale will affect responses to the survey (answers will be skewed to either end/neutral and all those sorts of stuff! The emphasis is on the research bit, not the marketing haha. All of our subjects are weirdly named sometimes.

I see! I would think with your eye and talent for art, you'd be wonderful in commercial art classes or programs (the psychology behind marketing design--colors, framing, sizes, etc.). This part of marketing is fascinating (the selling/presentation bits as opposed to research).

murmurlade wrote:That's so strange! If anything, Malaysia and other countries in SEA are still developing countries but life has returned to normal, in comparison to a developed country like the US. Also why are they doing blackouts?!?1 I'm so confused!!

Me too! It seems in California the powers that be are so interested in green power, they shut down/disbanding a lot of the existing power generation plants and created a shortfall of generation capacity. I can't understand how our state was once the leader of technology in our country, and today, we're teetering on the same kinds of stuff found only in third world countries. :/

murmurlade wrote:But also like??????? ??? What lol! You have to get your hair cut outside? Is this a new Covid rule? What's the difference??

It's purely political. It's like they banned church services (which was fought in a court and the churches won). (I'm not sure if they banned other religious services too or just churches.) I mean, the rules (masks, social distancing) shouldn't change their effectiveness once you enter a building designated for something other than shopping, or whatever. So many lawsuits that will play out in the months and years to come...

Server Administrator

Postby ShiroGEM » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:19 pm

Updating again! Fall semester began for me a few weeks ago so that's why I've practically fallen off the planet haha... but today is Mid Autumn Festival!! Make sure you get a chance to eat mooncakes if they're accessible in your area :wink: or make some

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:49 pm

I forgot all about moon festival and that today is a harvest moon! Thanks for the reminder!

Happy Mid Autumn festival!

Postby galled » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:22 am

Oh moon cakes! Love 'em!

Server Administrator

Postby ShiroGEM » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:30 am

@Lemon
Love your avatar for the occasion! :D Super cute! One day I'll get my hands on that cake item too, can you give me the name of it so I can put it on my wishlist?

galled
Hope that you get to have some! Do you have a favourite type?

Postby galled » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:40 am

I like the red bean ones best. I've seen some keto moon cake recipes that look like they'd be good. It may sound weird, but I'll take what I can get!

Server Administrator

Postby ShiroGEM » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:03 am

Ohhh i've never really eaten red bean ones! What kind of skin/crust is it usually wrapped with?
They seem popular in other regions though! My mom likes getting the red date paste variety, but it's too sour for me :P I do like how there's a lot of different options though! Durian flavour is very popular here too!

Postby galled » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:16 am

The skin/crust is the same. I can't tell what's inside without cutting them open. The ones I have had here usually have some writing on the top, but I can't read Chinese so I'm not sure if it indicates what's inside or if it's a holiday message. Any insights on the writing? I've always been curious about that.

Server Administrator

Postby ShiroGEM » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:45 pm

Hong Kong has quite a few notorious brands that produce lots of mooncakes for the occasion so they usually write the brand name and type of mooncake on top just so people can differentiate between them if they're gifted them. The wrapping is the same across most of them and usually doesn't say anything about the flavour, stamping them on the crust is usually the most efficient way!
these ones have "yolk" "red lotus paste" and "wuren" which is known as "five nuts" in english~
this one says "single yolk, lotus paste" in right to left
This one says 夏宮 which the name of a really prestigious restaurant in hong kong! (never been though) if they have the budget, fancy diners tend to have their own branded ones too
you might see some that look like 福 which is basically just a word for good luck and it's used literally everywhere (especially chinese new year)~ i've never seen these unless they're from a smaller bakery or business just because branding is very important in HK

Postby galled » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:51 pm

Thank you for the awesome reply! <3

Now I know! They all look yummy!

Server Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Hangouts