A place to meet new people, and hang out in a club.

Shiro's Hangout |staying active!!|

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Shiro's Hangout |staying active!!|

Postby npixelz » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:11 am

Indeed it is! ;-;

Local time: Sun May 19, 2024 11:49 pm

Currently seeking event items
Minecraft guild
Owner of many titles
Creator of many forum games
The Fairy Garden is my main place, but you'll also find me in other hangouts
Lastly, much love to everyone, and remember; Positive Mental Attitude!
Keep being awesome
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Postby ShiroGEM » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:43 pm

@"Lemon Cheesecake:
That's also very true, but I wished they were more strict on how many tickets they sold or how many people they let into the venue at once... it was a total hazard in there. :strain:

galled
For people who are working on large canvases on Adobe products it might be more convenient, since the UI scaling is much more consistent and I haven't had any crashes yet. But it is certainly very overpriced for the overall performance, and I will say a doing anything in After Effects on the Mac is so agonizingly slow OTL The other thing is Macs have colour calibrated screens so I definitely do miss that, but the retina screen which is 5K If I remember correctly is totally overkill to work on. I personally wanted to move away because I wanted to play games, stream and use other software without the limitations I had before. It's been a really good experience so far, considering I haven't needed a portable set up since covid began~

npixelz
Everything is expensive indeed :strain: I guess in this situation I ask myself if I'd want a regular one or like a high spec one

Local time: Mon May 20, 2024 12:49 pm

chris | they/them | hong kong
Hangout • Wishlist • AvisSketchbook • Items I've Made
Art Shop!

pixel by Mouse

Postby galled » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:57 pm

I use the Adobe Production Suite and never encountered any UI scaling issues. Curious about what's different on the MAC.

Re: Monitor calibration, I'm afraid this is more Apple misinformation/misinterpretation by users. All monitors need to be calibrated regularly (if you care enough to be accurate for professional level work). The idea that you can get a MAC monitor which is calibrated from the factory, calibrates itself, and/or will remain calibrated is just not true. While there are "tools" and utilities in either OS or in the monitor itself to help the user calibrate it is, while better than nothing, not good for professional applications. You need a monitor calibrator. I have calibrated many many MAC and PC monitors and can tell you that MAC's come out of whack from the factory (need calibration) as do any mega-expensive professional displays I've ever worked with. Granted some are much better than others, but calibration depends on environmental factors (hardware age, ambient light type, temperature, position and source). It's all pretty complex in scope, but critical. Fortunately the tools simplify the process by making it repeatable.

Shiro, please understand that for most folks, the standard display presets are good enough, but since I know you're doing the digital art stuff professionally, I thought you'd like to know. :hug:

Server Administrator

Local time: Sun May 19, 2024 9:49 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby ShiroGEM » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:58 pm

@"galled'
Hmmm well it is a bit inconsistent but that might be the way scaling is affected between HD and 4K monitors, i've had the UI of Illustrator break on me slightly but it's not a big deal~

That is true! I'm not saying it's exact per say, but between my iphone, ipad and the 3 macbooks i've owned in my lifetime, the colours are pretty similar from personal perception. While it's not exact (they are generations apart) it's still a lot closer than my screen tablet and current monitor on my windows. I probably will get a calibration tool along with a new mouse at some point! I've been working on a singular monitor for so long that it peeves me so much when the colours don't match haha

Postby galled » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:49 am

Ah, HD and 4k is quite a jump in pixels in a multi-monitor setup.

Yep, the eye (or more accurately the brain) isn't reliable as it compensates when you can't have it for work.
A cal tool is essential for you then. My current is an Xrite I got for about $100 or so. Well worth it to save frustrations alone! And will save you tons of money if you ever print anything. Highly recommended/essential for serious work.

Server Administrator

Postby npixelz » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:15 am

My friend recommended to me to get a pre-built computer because it should be enough for what I want and I'll have a warranty

Postby galled » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:21 am

That's good advice. Keep in mind a warranty is only as good as the people who are behind it (accessability). Have you started shopping?

Server Administrator

Postby npixelz » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:00 am

True

Not yet, I still need to save up some money

Three things are being saved up for; a trip to Disney, a trip to the UK, and the computer

The UK is a more long term thing, whereas the computer and Disney are things we hope to do soonish

Postby ShiroGEM » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:02 pm

galled
Ooo i'll be on a lookout for that! I want to see if there's any available locally. I've read up about SpyderX but it's a bit more pricy than that so I've been holding off on getting it.

npixelz
Good luck saving up and I hope you have fun when you do go to Disney! I'd personally prioritize that computer since it's a daily necessity. A trip to the UK sounds great though, I've never been so I'd love to hear all about it when it happens! :D

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:31 pm

oh California or Florida?

I'd still like to check out Disney world in Florida one day.

I agree, a computer lasts longer then a trip but a trip is a great learning experience in itself and if family is taking the trip then a memory can be priceless.

Postby ShiroGEM » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:24 pm

I didn't know there were two in the US :O I've only got one here in Hong Kong and it's alright, I haven't been back in like an entire decade though. Ticket prices are so expensive now and my priorities have shifted so I'd rather spend it elsewhere :strain: but its a great place to go for the experience!

Postby npixelz » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:58 am

Yeah, I'll probably do the computer first, but I have a laptop still working at the moment, so who knows. Still though, it's better to get a new one ready so when this one breaks I'm not stuck.
I'll regale you all with the details!

I don't remember which one it is, but it's the one with Galaxy's Edge where you can build your own lightsaber (one of the main reasons I want to go is for the Saber).
Memories are indeed priceless, if only I could recall them. Like, my memory is really bad, I barely remember my childhood.

Yeah, two in the US yet none in Canada. We're stuck with Canada's Wonderland (which is still good, but it's no Disney).
Yeah, ticket prices for these things are a nightmare!

Postby galled » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:59 am

X-rite has offices around the world (in China they have several--wouldn't be surprised if they're made there).

Yep, I feel the same about utility taking prioriety, but if it's a family trip, how many of trhose do you get?

IIRC there were other places where you could build your own light saber outide Disney, so I googled a bit (actually duck duck go--I try not to use google) and found the following:

Reservations necessary 60 days in advance!
https://www.planningthemagic.net/build- ... ightsaber/

Other places (even online):
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=build+your+ow ... pas&ia=web

Server Administrator

Postby npixelz » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:52 am

But I want the FULL experience too.............

Postby galled » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:23 am

Of course! Just wanted to make sure you make your reservation and if for some reason you don't go, you can still have a custom light saber experience (the folks that run the one at Disney--might be Disney itself--have setups outside of the amusement park--at least at one time they did).

Server Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Hangouts