A place to meet new people, and hang out in a club.

Lemon's drop-inn

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Lemon's drop-inn

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:34 pm

I think Galled was making a joke with the image. :wink:

We personally (knock on wood) have not hhad any problems from blackouts but people we know in other areas have. They mentioned it at the community meeting I was at last night that basically the electrical grid is not uniform and we may be on a grid coming from another area so doesn't mean we won't be affected. Like when our power goes out from a downed transformer, half the town may still have power. :frustration:

Even if you had solar panels if the winds are strong enough those too could be damaged.

The articles on PGE's negligence are still forefront in the news.

Local time: Tue May 07, 2024 9:21 pm

Postby galled » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:40 pm

Hurricane is understandable. Turning off the power because high winds might star a fire, then turning the power back on and that starts fires is incompetence on so many levels IMHO. These problems never existed before a few years ago and we're the only ones with them now. It's not global warming as the primary culprit.

We've looked into batteries for solar and now thinking a generator hits the sweet spot on price/benefit. Batteries will be there one day, but we don't think the numbers make it a no-brainer yet. :/

Sorry about your fish.

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Vivianne » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:44 pm

Oof I feel not-smart.

I think there have been fires in Arizona or New Mexico, but California is more populated. California also has a host of factors contributing to the fires.

I wonder if there’s publically available data on the average temperatures globally and by locale for at least the past decade.

Local time: Tue May 07, 2024 10:21 pm

Postby galled » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:02 pm

Could be. I think fires are the natural order of things. Fire started by utilies happen as well, but we have had huge fires and numerous fires are not normal. PG&E has ADMITTED to 10 so far (Oct 10) https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... -this-year

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:13 pm

PG&E definitely sucks, not arguing with that.

Postby galled » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:45 pm

Agreed.

Shifting to less frustrating things... I'm curious (and forgive me if this is too personal), how long does it take to get into a car? I'm imagining it'd be similar time for an average person in a wheelchair. Would that be aproximately correct?

Do you leave home on most days? I know you said movement causes problems. How about going outside? Around home, I find sunshine even through a window can be rejuvinating (refreshing even) while being really comforting at the same time. I like to appreciate the small things that have big impacts on me. I know you know what I mean, so I'm wondering how much opportunity you get. Is there someone around at all times to help you?

Sorry so many questions. Please feel free to not answer. We'll still be friends either way! :)

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:08 pm

To get in a car, my dad has to help. I guess someone else sufficiently strong would work, but they need to be able to support all of my body weight and then some.

Getting into a car takes maybe a couple minutes? If someone is holding both my wrists, I can sort of ‘walk’ and take pivot steps. But I am unable to buckle myself, and my wheelchair needs to be disassembled.

There is not really an ‘average’ person in a wheelchair. There are too many reasons why someone would be in a wheelchair. If my right hand was more functional, i’d use a walker, but earlier this year I determined it was unsafe and I’d likely fall down. Some people using wheelchairs can stand or walk short distances on their own, but for various reasons are unable to walk long distances.

Also, some people may elect to use a wheelchair after chemotherapy, for example. I was only ever on glorified chemotherapy, but infusions took me multiple days to recover from.

Most days, after my morning routine, I move to the kitchen and sit by the window. I need eye drops every 90 minutes and food is a huge problem. My mom pretty much always has to be with me, but now that my eye drops aren’t as frequent, she’s able to run errands and shop between drops. It seems easier if I’m nearby.

I go to a neighborhood lake on weekends my dad isn’t tired and the weather allows. I like watching ducks.

There are a bunch of squirrels that run along our driveway.

I sometimes get to go to our backyard. We have a fish pond.

Mostly I’m online/on my iPad. The absence of sound makes my thoughts really loud, so I try to drown them out.

Postby galled » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:12 pm

Thanks for sharing some of you daily details. By average I meant weight/size. Being extra large would involve lifts of some sort I'd imagine.

That's good you get out when you can. Watching animals is fun and interesting. I haven't had the opportunity to watch Ducks. I'd imagine they can be silly based on the personalitiies attributed to their cartoon character counterparts! :)

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:25 pm

No problem!

I’m 90 pounds, but transfers are easy because I can walk with enough support. If I was 10-20 pounds heavier, it would probably still be easy, as long as everything else was the same. There are actual quadriplegics/paraplegics. I know in some cases, bed to wheelchair transfers take two people, but i’m able to move around indoors with someone holding my wrists and guiding me.

The car transfers are difficult because of the sun and environments I’m not as familiar with.

I love watching ducks splash water! They’re so energetic!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:22 am

I have a friend who is a quad and he has a sip and puff wheelchair to get around. He can't move his body but he he has feeling from the top of his shoulders up so he can bob back and forth to lean forward which allows him to be able to reach the cup holder so he can drink from a straw or use his sip and puff to control the chair. to move it. It is amazing what technology is coming up with.

90 pounds you could blow away!

Can someone hold you in the water so you can float? Just wondering how water therapy would work for you.

The more I learn the more I am in awe of how you over come your challenges, Viv, and stay so positive! As I said before, you are an inspiration!

Postby Vivianne » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:42 am

Oh, that’s a cool type of wheelchair! I’m glad he has a bit of independence. :D

A lot of people with NF2 have problems keeping weight on. Facial paralysis + swallowing issues make eating physically difficult.

I’m unsafe near water. First of all, if I get into a pool it’ll be near impossible to get out because I’m so weak.

My tumors and balance issues also make it likely I’ll forget which way is up if I’m somehow submerged in water.

Thank you! Just making the most of my life. :D

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:39 am

I figured you couldn't do it on your own, was just thinking of a commercial where a man is holding a senior while he floats and it looks so relaxing...thought someone could hold you.

Yes, Viv, I think you are making the most of your life...that is why you are an inspiration!

Postby Vivianne » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:04 am

I don’t know where else to post this, but my communication device just got approved after an initial denial and is ready to ship!

After that, I’ll have an informative meeting with my device consultant, and I should be able to ‘switch’ over.

I can’t wait for potentially less shoulder strain!

Postby galled » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:32 am

Great news!!

Now maybe you'll be able to not post so little!!! Only kidding sweetie! :embarassed:

We love your activity, your enthusiasm, your thoughtfulness, your personality, well pretty much everything about who you are, we like. I'm am very happy to know you and call you friend. My life has become fuller having you as a friend. I'm so happy that you're here and will be able to continue to be here with less of a struggle. :heart:

Server Administrator

Postby Vivianne » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:42 am

I like being enthusiastic because it makes life a lot more fun. :D

Also, I’m very glad to count you (and everyone I’ve met here) as friends as well! Windlyn is such a nice place filled with the greatest people, and it is a delight getting to know everyone. <3

PreviousNext

Return to Hangouts