Site-wide events run by the Windlyn Team!

[MerMay2018] MerMay Stamp Rally

Re: [MerMay2018] MerMay Stamp Rally

Postby mdom » Fri May 04, 2018 2:28 pm

To me the biggest issue with that is that windlyn doesn`t have enough active users so in the future (near future?) those items will be way too rare, so making them more manageable now would be best.
But then again even on bigger sites I don`t mind having event items more accessible |D

Local time: Fri May 17, 2024 8:46 am

by Valentine Strange

Postby galled » Fri May 04, 2018 3:13 pm

Is it wrong to have the difficulty of obtaining the item be consistent with its rarity?

Personally I like the idea of putting it in the user's control rather than being awarded randomly as we've had in every other event. Not that I don't like that, but a bit of a change is OK.

As for the size of the community, I think once Windlyn leaves semi-private beta, with public open beta and release/going live eventually happening, I believe there'll be a sizable change in active members. Even so, I don't see a problem with rewarding early adopters and the most dedicated Winners once in while.

I'm OK with buying the rare items for a high price (whether it be feathers or wings), but that's a whole other can of worms that will affect rarity as well... but for now, my main concern is taking up Diana's time when the big picture stuff needs her attention.

Anyway, this is just one event in how many we've had here? I say just roll with it--there'll be another event soon enough.

Server Administrator

Local time: Fri May 17, 2024 4:46 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri May 04, 2018 4:02 pm

I think we eventually see items come around again and commemorative wings are always in the events so maybe next year's MerMay month would have the bubble wings and backgrounds as well... and some of the backgrounds have gone into the shops after events. Usually if there is enough interest Diana seems to put stuff into the shops at some time or other, whether it is the Lazarus or regular shop.

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Fri May 04, 2018 4:16 pm

galled wrote:But sometimes not everyone gets a trophy

Baby boomer parent: waah waah my preshus babu no get trophy waah waah
Hence participation trophies
I'd rather no trophy than participation trophies, myself

Local time: Fri May 17, 2024 6:46 am

hangout|art shop|card shop
BUTT CAPES
I need mah butt capes!
ImageImage

Postby npixelz » Fri May 04, 2018 6:54 pm

Akuyi; yeah, that's what I thought, too.

Galled; well, you're not wrong there.

Akuyi; true, but as they say; you can't always get what you want, you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need!

Galled; ain't that the truth.

Mdom; that's true, we're a very small and close community, but everyone here is worth a thousand elsewhere.

Galled; Truth!

Lemon; yeah, that's true.

Kit; haha! Lol! Me too. It's like; good job, you showed up. You didn't win anything, but thanks for being there to make everyone else look good.

Currently seeking event items
Minecraft guild
Owner of many titles
Creator of many forum games
The Fairy Garden is my main place, but you'll also find me in other hangouts
Lastly, much love to everyone, and remember; Positive Mental Attitude!
Keep being awesome
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Fri May 04, 2018 7:29 pm

Yeah if I got cocered into runnig some kid event that has trophies or whatever, and participation trophies are required, imma take the participated ones (not the legitimate winner ones) and have them mock the whole participation trophy thing

Postby ShiroGEM » Fri May 04, 2018 7:39 pm

i think rare items can make really good contest prizes!

Local time: Fri May 17, 2024 7:46 pm

chris | they/them | hong kong
Hangout • Wishlist • AvisSketchbook • Items I've Made
Art Shop!

pixel by Mouse

Postby npixelz » Sat May 05, 2018 7:26 am

Yeah, that would be fun! You could maybe even make the whole event mock itself!

Yeah, that's true! The rarer the prize, the more likely people will participate in the contest!

Postby mdom » Sat May 05, 2018 1:25 pm

I don't think it's wrong, I'm just stating my opinion as a user.
As a user, I don't like things being random (like last event I opened 170 eggs and didn't get the wings from them) and I don't like things being ultra rare(only 5 out of 100 users have something). That's just how I feel, because I like items to make avatars. Some people like to collect items because they're rare and that's on them.

Postby galled » Sat May 05, 2018 1:59 pm

mdom I want to understand your opinions:

+ Are you against rare and super-rare items?

+ Do you want all event items to just be given to you or are you OK doing something for them (like visiting the web site)?

+ Or are you OK with just buying items?

+ If you are OK buying them, some are OK costing more than others or even real currency equivalent?

Every event has an assortment of items that are very easy to get. I'd even say this current event is the easiest yet--it just requires visiting a page once a day. No searching, scrolling, clicking things or really anything more. So you get plenty of things to make avatars.

You say wanting to collect super-rare items is on the user. I'm missing how that affects you unless you want said items. If they're not more difficult to collect, how would they be rare or rarer (because everyone would/could have them)?

Server Administrator

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat May 05, 2018 3:15 pm

I do get the frustration of randomly getting the rarer items because I literally sent thousands of gifts at Valentine's (maybe got a quarter of what I sent back) and didn't end up with the new wings until the final hour. The same for the egg hunt, I didn't get the new rainbow wings until the very end. I would have been so disappointed had I got none, especially when people popped on and got them right away and then didn't really participate. (Not that I am not happy they got them, because I get excited for them)

However, that said, Diana has started giving out the commemorative wings at the end of certain events as an award, so to speak, for participation, and now knowing that takes the pressure off not getting them in the event and makes geting the wings that much more special for getting them as a special token of appreciation for participation. But even if I didn't get them, I know there is a chance down the road so its not like it is totally unavailable.

Then other times rare items are brought back - like how the extra rare background we can get on this MerMay event for participating, is a second chance to get it, or get a spare, because it came out a few years ago as an award for checking in everyday (I think) and we only got one. So over time we do have opportunities to get the ultra rare items.

Postby npixelz » Sat May 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Regardless of rarity, and other things, I still love this event and the items! ^^

Postby mdom » Sat May 05, 2018 6:48 pm

+ Are you against rare and super-rare items?

Well, I understand they're needed in sites to encourage questing and stuff, but I don't like them |D I mean, I can't say they should be banned because I don't know enough about economics to propose a feasible alternative, but when they are presented in sites I always hope I don't like them so I don't have to go after them.

+ Do you want all event items to just be given to you or are you OK doing something for them (like visiting the web site)? Or are you OK with just buying items?
- If you are OK buying them, some are OK costing more than others or even real currency equivalent?

Well if they're just given in my inventory it's not an event xD Event requires participation, even if minimal. The frustrating thing with random rare items is that you can be the most engaged person ever in the event - Like Lemon during Valentine's or me during Easter, you'll get the items out of sheer luck. Visiting the site daily for items is good because it makes users come here and then makes it more likely to create activity throughout the whole month and maybe make us used to coming here every day.
I have no issues with people buying items after the event is over for a high price. it encourages posting/playing/donating. Even if each missing item is 1k feathers/ 10 wings.

You say wanting to collect super-rare items is on the user. I'm missing how that affects you unless you want said items. If they're not more difficult to collect, how would they be rare or rarer (because everyone would/could have them)?

I haven't seen that on windlyn, but on many avatar sites users collect rare items as bargaining chips to trade for other items - which is obviously valid, but if it's something I want to make an avatar, I'm not ashamed to say I'm petty and that I'd like to have the item because I'd use it, at least.
As to the fact of everyone having something that's supposed to be rare - as I said, events have to be at least somewhat engaging, so active users would be the ones with a chance (and as I stated, I'm not sure how many of those windlyn has) and in time that'll make the item rarer.

But, once again, I don't want to be seen as criticising a system without offering a viable solution. I just have a lot of feelings.

Postby npixelz » Sat May 05, 2018 9:06 pm

It's good to have feelings and to express them. Trust me, I often try not to feel, or just bottle my feelings up, and it costs me, it's unhealthy. And I don't think anyone will see you as just criticizing. No one here is the kind of person to really think that.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat May 05, 2018 9:12 pm

I think we should be able to express what we do and do not like if we are trying to be helpful and not critical. Not everyone is going to be happy all the time but maybe we can work things out to be better or learn from another's ideas.

I'm interested to know what member's here, who are on other sites, like about the other site's or what they like better on Windlyn too. I've got my own idea's of what I would still like to have on here but I do know Diana has mentioned she has a plan for what she wants to do here (just not enough time presently), so I wait and I get excited when we have new things.

And I am all into using the item's on my avatar's! (So many pretty items... ).

PreviousNext

Return to Events