The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

Food

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Food

Postby Blue Jay » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:38 am

I just had a Grilled Cheese Sandwich that I made myself. Not too bad of a job! ^^

Local time: Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:40 pm

Image Artwork by Yuracye

Postby Sanchicho » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:40 pm

You mean a cheese toastie?

Local time: Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:40 pm

Postby Blue Jay » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:45 pm

Nope a Grilled Cheese Sandwich. A cheese toastie is a piece of toast with cheese on it. A grilled cheese sandwich is cheese melted between two pieces of bread and grilled or fried with butter on the sides to fry it. :D At least that is the difference here in Jersey and the Eastern U.S. :D

Postby Sanchicho » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:46 pm

They're the same thing.

Postby Blue Jay » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:50 pm

You learn something new everyday I never heard it called a cheese toastie before but then again most people don't know what Pork Roll is since it's a Jersey thing. XD

Postby Sanchicho » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:52 pm

Ryvvi taught me about cheese toasties.

Postby Blue Jay » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:05 pm

Ahhh I always just called them Grilled Cheese and Cheese Toasties were what I called Toast with a piece of cheese on it. XD

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:07 am

i thought cheese toasties were cheese sandwiches made in the toaster oven (versus grilled in the pan) I prefer them grilled...sometimes add a slice of ham too

Postby Blue Jay » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:15 am

You learn something new every day Lemon. :lol:

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:35 pm

yes, it's amazing how people have different names for things, the first time somebody asked me if I wanted angels on horseback we were at a outside party. I thought they were asking if I wanted drugs!(which I wouldn't) but turns out they wanted to know if I wanted s'mores!! (graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows) I think there is another name for them too.

Postby Blue Jay » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:46 pm

Yup some places have the same name for different foods! Take the Biscuit for instance to us Americans it's a puff pastry you eat with gravy while to Brits it's more like a cracker or cookie. XD

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:50 pm

yup, take hot dogs also known as wieners or franks

Postby Blue Jay » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:55 pm

Or even coffee! If someone asked you "Would you like a cup of Joe?" and you weren't American you would be confused. That sounds both perverted and terrifying if you think along those lines and then find out it's coffee. XD

Even Gravy is different depending on the region your from. To me Gravy is that brown sauce that you put over Turkey on Thanksgiving but in Italy Gravy is what we Americans call Tomato Sauce. So in an Italian-American Family it's either Brown Gravy or Red Gravy depending on what your eating. XD

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:08 pm

didn't know about Italians calling tomato sauce gravy! I think white gravy is called country gravy in the states but i think it is an american thing...still not even sure what is used as the base as it seems like it is just flour and water, sausage maybe?

Postby Blue Jay » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:15 pm

Yup it has sausage in it. XD There is also variations of Teas around the world. Like to me I always thought of Ice Tea the lemon flavor as Tea but it can be multiple flavors and strengths. Even the ice tea itself is different since in the South it's called Sweet Tea! :D

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge