The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

Nicole Arbour and Barbies

Moderator: Ryvvi

Nicole Arbour and Barbies

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:44 pm

Nicole Arbour released a Dear Fat People 2 video. I don't think she knows what fat is.

She goes on about Ashley Graham, the plus sized swimsuit model for Sports Illustrated 2015 edition. Nicole thinks that every plus sized person is fat apparently. God forbid they have a belly. Ashley Graham isn't fat, not in the slightest. She has a healthy body, she looks like what women should look like imo.

Then she goes on to say how Matel made Barbie look like she ate a cheeseburger. Omg, Barbie ate a cheeseburger?! What a terrible thing to do! Ugh. Matel made barbies of all different body types, one includes a curvy barbie. I like the curvy barbie and wish it was around when I was a kid. It looks more natural and if she thinks women are to look like the original barbie, she's out of her freakin mind! Barbie, the original, is too thin, too unrealistic and isn't meant to be used to tell girls they need to be that thin because they shouldn't be.

Nicole fucking said that "If you just go to the gym, you wouldn't be plus sized" like you don't need to watch what you eat. She could make a legitimate statement and then just blows it out of proportion. I can't stand her at all.

Local time: Sun May 19, 2024 9:56 pm

Re: Nicole Arbour and Barbies

Postby murmurlade » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:34 pm

Aw, now this is just sick, there's gotta be something wrong with this girl somewhere :/
I don't know much about the first half, but the new barbies are adorable! There were also dark-skinned, suuuper tall, petite barbies and yeah, the curvy ones.

Oh Barbie nooooo, you're not supposed to be curvy and eating cheeseburgers! You'll ruin the unrealistic expectations set for little girls that could potentially ruin them at a later date! Yeah, no. Why do people have to find a problem with everything? Just chill and let it be.

Local time: Mon May 20, 2024 10:56 am

----------------------------------------
taugeeee @ twitter / deviantart / gaia
currently: questing bubble wings

always semi-hiatus due to work
please ping me if you want a reply.
----------------------------------------

Postby Balcan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:14 pm

I have not yet seen the video - partially because I am tired and partially because I am not quite sober. But I will tell you this:

Barbie is not intended to be a beauty standard. Nowhere do the creators of Barbie or those affiliated with it claim that this is the ideal figure for a woman. It is consumers that have decided to compare themselves to this doll. There are a lot of unrealistic things about the barbie - her car, dream house, boyfriend, etc.. No one mentions how Barbie shows girls that they can become whatever they aspire through the way Barbie has pretty much any profession/job available.

Now, the company has released new Barrie's in a variety of sizes, colors, whatever to accommodate all the politically correct crybabies and there are still others who complain that it's not enough, proving that you cannot please everyone. (Note that this makes it hard to find matching clothes and items for your Barbie beccause they all have different proportions now and are not a standard size - which from a marketing perspective is not a bad thing).

Finally, I am not saying Ashley Graham is not attractive - I don't think so at all - but can you honestly tell me that this is a HEALTHY body?:

http://s29.postimg.org/f692quvhj/image.jpg

There's a thread somewhere here about being fat appropriated into culture and being more than acceptable - a lot of good points there. I have noticed that in America there is a very different idea of what is a healthy and beautiful body than in my country (and many places in Europe).

Local time: Sun May 19, 2024 7:56 pm

Postby Diana » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:16 pm

I'm not sure who Nicole Arbour is, but I read an article about the new barbies! The article I read pointed out that while it is great to include different shaped barbies for the body-acceptance movement, the message they send out if they are gifts is questionable, ie: it's your daughter's birthday and someone gives her a heavy barbie, while her friend gets the tall, skinny, model like one, what is that telling her?

I'm not sure I really ever thought of a barbie as "me", nor did I take my standards from barbie. So I'm not too keen on having a barbie the same body shape as myself. And now all the clothes won't fit the all the other barbies even more. :(
That's some real world woman problems, finding clothes that fit right. haha.

Site Admin

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:23 pm

I don't know who Nicole Arbour is... but as far as original Barbie dolls...
if you look at photos of people in the late 1950's and early 1960's into the 70-80's the majority of women were thin...they ate no high fructose corn syrup ( which kills us today in our diets, like even hidden in the majority of our food) and they got out more...most people walked or biked, there was no car for every person in a family...just one family car. Potato chips, soda was generally only for a special occasion like a treat outing or birthday party... so for that time period the original Barbie was pretty realistic.

As time passed Barbie shapes have changed too. Barbie's friends became flat chested or curvey or hippy and yes eventually different skin colored. As far as I am concerned Barbie always represented eating healthy and exercising, she walked, jogged, rode bikes, rode horses, did gymnastics, swimming etc...she was always busy actively doing something...so being thin is understandable for her personna.

Now Twiggy and Twiggy like dolls were anorexic.

* so both of you posted quicker then me... good point that now the clothes won't fit all the dolls so they aren't interchangeable which means more money for the toy companies - good marketing strategy?

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:42 pm

@Balcan: It could be worse anyway. I can't say I'm absolutely right on what I say, I'm just giving my thoughts on it. To me, who is definitely not at a healthy weight, I view that as a more healthy body. I don't believe she's fat. But that's how I see things. People can think otherwise. There's different perspectives, but I can't know for sure. She just looked chubby, but not necessarily fat.
~~~
Nicole Arbour is this YouTuber. She thinks she's a comedian and such but she's unfunny and just stupid. I'm not saying that people can be fat if they want to, but nobody should go around shaming others for their body weight and such. She basically just insults people who are overweight pretty much.

Yeah, barbie can be inspiring for girls to get into any kind of profession they want, but there's some girls who try to look like barbie and there's this one guy who tried to look like Ken. Like, some people do look towards a barbie doll for their beauty standards and it's so wrong.

The original barbie's proportions aren't realistic at all. Like the body proportions are unrealistic, no matter if it were the same now as the 50's. Like, if you look up a barbie from 1959, you can definitely tell that it is unrealistic, especially by the size of the doll's waist.

@Diana: I feel like it would tell her that she doesn't have to be very thin to look pretty. I mean, the curvy barbie isn't fat, yeah, there's more "fat" on that than the tall and petite ones, but still isn't fat.

Postby dragoness129 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:39 am

I don't know who this is, but she sounds really vain and pompous; just all around bad.

Local time: Sun May 19, 2024 10:56 pm

Currently Seeking: Pumpkin Pile Halloween 2014 and Observatory background
[Quest]

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:42 am

Hit the nail on the head.

Return to The Lounge