The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

I'd eat that dog.

Moderator: Ryvvi

I'd eat that dog.

Postby Balcan » Mon May 09, 2016 7:49 am

I think there are 11 countries worldwide that eat dog meat. A lot of people find this controversial. My question is - why is it "acceptable" to eat some animals but not others? You didn't hesitate to devour that pork chop. I resent animal cruelty but if an animal is killed humanely and is tasty, I have no problem eating it.

Local time: Thu May 16, 2024 8:47 pm

Re: I'd eat that dog.

Postby galled » Mon May 09, 2016 11:03 am

I guess for me it would depend on how hungry I was and what was available to eat!

My gut (LOL) tells me that the reason we don't eat dogs in the west is out of respect as we view dogs as companions. "Man's best friend" is akin to cannibalism to me. :0

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Diana » Mon May 09, 2016 11:12 am

Haha. What an unexpected question!
There are a lot of animals that we eat or dont eat based on our cultures- some dont eat pigs, others dont eat cows... most of us dont eat dogs.
I have found I really like wild elk, it tastes like beef, but far less fatty. Most people I know dont like it because it tastes "gamey" to them, or because elk are akin to deer and are supposed to be beautiful and serene, and it is unappetizing to eat that. Like galled said, people attribute dogs to being companions.
I wonder what it would be like to have dog. Most of the animals we eat out west are herbivores. That may also be a factor?

Site Admin

Postby Bassy » Mon May 09, 2016 6:41 pm

North Americans, Europeans, and other countries consider pets as dogs but some countries it's not viewed as pets, it is viewed as food i guess. (I been brain dead, i cant find the right words for things...ahgahagag)
There actually people who eat seals, but I never thought people eat them! They're so dang cute! And cows are sacred in India, they don't eat cows, but we do since we don't see them sacred or religious.

Local time: Thu May 16, 2024 10:47 pm

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Postby Balcan » Tue May 10, 2016 2:21 pm

I'm aware that animals we eat are usually not carnivorous. Dogs would be very lean and probably not as tasty.

Rabbits are also cute. We eat them. I hate dogs, but that's not why I don't object to eating them. I am a cat lover for example. I wouldn't drool over the thought of eating a cat, but if I'm hungry and it's served over a side and paired with a nice wine...chow time. I'm don't get personal with my food. That's just who I am - not easily shocked and an advocate of personal freedom (within reason).

Postby Diana » Tue May 10, 2016 2:45 pm

haha. I have a friend from high school who's family got a rabbit for food. People would come over and go "oh, what a cute pet", then she'd awkwardly explain her family was going to eat it.

For me, I feel like rabbit, rat, etc. are too small to eat. There's not a whole lot of meat on them!
I suppose if I was pretty hungry, or it was nicely prepared, I'd try it out. I don't think I'd go out of my way to order it though.

Site Admin

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue May 10, 2016 4:18 pm

I wouldn't eat the dog, I wouldn't eat the cat...unless I was starving and had no other option.

If I went to another country I'd be careful to ask what I was eating.

That said, I have eaten rabbit - it tastes very similar to chicken but more lean. And I had no problem so long as it was skinned already. I've also had frogs legs (well, I tasted the ones my friend ordered). I've tried moose and deer but can't say I'd eat it again. I don't like the "animal" flavor. I also don't like lamb or goat though.

Absolutely would not go out of my way to try it.

Postby Ryvvi » Tue May 10, 2016 6:26 pm

it could also be connected to usefulness? like dogs were usually used to hunt for other food so i mean it was better to train the dog up to help you find more food, then its too useful to eat? whereas like... the herbivore animals are used for food and not much else. Like most people dont eat oxen and bulls in countries where they use them to farm food i think?

Local time: Fri May 17, 2024 2:47 pm

Ry: Rise of The Innovator 4000 , The Quickening [NOT THE BEEEEESSS Limited Edition]

Postby galled » Tue May 10, 2016 8:54 pm

Diana wrote:For me, I feel like rabbit, rat, etc. are too small to eat.

That's because those are appetizers! The main course is Iguana!
:cheeky:

Server Administrator

Postby Hocus Pocus » Wed May 11, 2016 9:56 pm

I think it's mostly because dogs are more commonly considered pets. Pigs can be too, but they aren't as commonly seen as pets as say dogs or cats are.

Local time: Thu May 16, 2024 10:47 pm

Postby Havoc » Sun May 15, 2016 5:36 am

Diana wrote:haha. I have a friend from high school who's family got a rabbit for food.

Rabbits are supposedly extremely tasty though I have never tasted it

Local time: Fri May 17, 2024 9:17 am

Postby Balcan » Sun May 15, 2016 5:49 am

Of all the dogs in the world, far from every one is designed to hunt. I don't really value any one animal's life more than another. That is not implying that I don't value animal lives. I just have no bias when eating them.

Postby galled » Sun May 15, 2016 11:02 am

Have you ever owned a dog or pet? Just wondering if you could eat it/them if you have. I think it's interesting how humans project onto animals and in some cases inanimate objects and virtual things. Robots will be a huge adjustment for us.

Server Administrator

Postby Axiom » Sun May 15, 2016 12:33 pm

Well, I'm vegan, so all animals are off-limits for me, but I agree completely with the premise that no species of animal should be more or less acceptable to eat than any other. I find it extremely hypocritical that many people consider themselves "animal lovers" when their love only extends to an arbitrary selection of animal species. They speak out against poachers and abusive pet owners, but they eat at Burger King and don't give a second thought to the animal abuse that went on in the factory farm their Whopper came from.

While I don't morally agree with eating animals in the first place, I respect Balcan's position because at least it's consistent and not hypocritical.

Local time: Thu May 16, 2024 7:47 pm

Postby Balcan » Sun May 15, 2016 5:25 pm

I own a cat. To answer your question, I would not eat my own cat. Not because of any personal moral reasons, but because I currently value him more as my pet than my meal. It's my priority. However if offered cat meat in general, I wouldn't turn it down if I wanted to eat it. I wouldn't try to forbid anyone else to eat cat meat solely because I like my cat.

Axiom - first of all, I do not ask that you agree with me. After all, it is not a debate if everyone is on the same side. I am interested in different perspectives - another person's opinion based on logic and reasoning rather than pure emotion. Instead of someone getting heated and calling me a "sick, depraved fuck" because they don't share my opinion, I want to know their thought process. At what point did you choose veganism and what motivated it?

*also feel free to participate in any of my other threads

Next

Return to The Lounge