The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

I'd eat that dog.

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: I'd eat that dog.

Postby Axiom » Mon May 16, 2016 7:52 pm

Balcan: I share the same view on arguments. I am much more moved by facts and logic than by emotion, although that wasn't always true of me. I was eleven years old the first time I really thought about where my food comes from, and my decision to become a vegetarian at that time was largely fueled by disgust at the thought of eating a carcass and sympathy for stock animals that can experience suffering much the same way we do. Over the years, I developed a somewhat utilitarian philosophy on meat-eating. Essentially, I believe that it is morally wrong to cause suffering (human or animal) unless doing so prevents a greater amount of suffering. So unless killing an animal was the only way to prevent a person from dying, its impact is more negative than positive. Since I live in the United States and have access to a variety of food options, eating meat is not necessary for my survival, so I am able to minimize suffering by choosing to eat other foods. To explain why I also do not use any animal products, I must stretch the notion of suffering beyond just physical suffering and also discuss exploitation of labor. It gets complicated from here, but this is a start.

Thank for the invitation! I may do that, although I am mostly a lurker, so I promise nothing. >.>

Local time: Sat May 18, 2024 10:41 am

Re: I'd eat that dog.

Postby Ingenuity » Mon May 16, 2016 11:21 pm

I dislike dogs due to being chased by stray dogs whenever I go jogging. However, I would NEVER eat dog meat and will feel disgusted and nauseous if dog meat was ever served to me. I had no idea there are 11 countries worldwide where dog meat are eaten. That is interesting. I believe the reason some types of meat are alright to be eaten and not others are due to cultural and social norms in different parts of the world.

As for me, I prefer to eat lamb, pork, fish and chicken meat because I find those meats delicious although I might become a vegetarian eventually.

Local time: Sun May 19, 2024 2:41 am

Previous

Return to The Lounge