The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

Changing Majors

Moderator: Ryvvi

Changing Majors

Postby Bassy » Tue May 10, 2016 6:11 pm

I really thought Social Work was for me. But as I'm not doing to well in my classes, or well... in the course. I have to know so many theories. I mean, I have a little bit of an understanding, but being applied is more difficult. People actually can see me being a social worker, But I am not exactly happy, since my professor brought me down not giving us hope if we don't do so well. She says that those with a B or an A were most likely to succeed. I just didn't do so well.

But I explored a new major, something I would love to be part of. Parks and Recreation. I wanted something outdoors, but it also involves counselling as well! I think it may be a perfect fit. But I have a part of me that doesnt want to leave social work, but at the same time, I do. How the heck do I get rid of that feeling...

Local time: Fri May 17, 2024 5:54 am

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Re: Changing Majors

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue May 10, 2016 7:32 pm

The person best to talk to is the one working in the field, they know what it is actually like. I'd go interview people working in both fields. I'd also check out which field is hiring more often and what the salaries and benefits are for the fields and the turnover rate - and why. Can you intern or do a summer job at one of those fields?

You can always help people at any job you are at and you can also volunteer.Which field will allow you to feed and clothe yourself and hopefully a family. Which one will be less stressful?

Local time: Fri May 17, 2024 3:54 am

Postby galled » Tue May 10, 2016 8:52 pm

You know what? If you want to be a social worker or public service, then work hard at being a social worker or in parks and rec! It might take you longer and be hard and you'll want to quit when it gets tough, but don't let anyone tell you that you can't follow your dreams. If you want it bad enough and feel it's your calling then go for it! There are a million stories out there of people who are successful and somewhere along the line (a teacher, an employer, a recruiter, etc.) someone said blah blah blah and they *almost* quit. Believe in yourself and do your best and you'll get there!

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Bassy » Wed May 11, 2016 7:36 am

There are more jobs that arent as specific like social work. But in Parks and Rec, there is management along with it, adnimistration, working in camps, schools, wildlife, etc,

Postby Hocus Pocus » Wed May 11, 2016 9:41 pm

I changed my majors twice. If I haven't graduated I probably would have changed it again.

Postby galled » Wed May 11, 2016 10:50 pm

Where your two majors similar or related?

Bassy, I started re-watching the TV show Parks and Recreation again tonight--see what you planted in my head? :) LOL

Server Administrator

Postby Hocus Pocus » Thu May 12, 2016 9:13 pm

I was in general studies. Then I changed to education in the arts, then I changed to just studio art.

Postby Bassy » Thu May 12, 2016 11:21 pm

I hoped to never change my major. The RPA made me feel so welcome than the SWK Program. I even found out a coworker is in RPA. Interesting lol.
I want a major that I will enjoy in school and in life and career

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Fri May 13, 2016 12:46 am

That's all that you need in life is to do something that makes you happy.

Postby Firia » Fri May 13, 2016 5:42 am

It's always important do to what you feel is the best for yourself.

1 year ago I was done with university and was ready to start working as a graphic designer... but to be honest I wasn't the least happy. Creating art and helping others to realise their visions for projects was always something I loved and wanted to do but in reality the work is pure stress. You have great moments but most of the time you struggle to be done, your work isn't in the least appreciated and in the end you might don't even like what you did. (that's how it was for me xD) Back then my profs always told me how great and easy and awesome the job is... and it may is but not for me.

So I decided to drop out of it entirely. In 4 months I will start working in Health Insurance, so something completly different. But I feel like I will be much much happier with this and keep my creative work for my free time.

Just ask yourself in which enviroment you will be happiest. And I think that will be the "right" one then ;P

Postby Hocus Pocus » Fri May 13, 2016 6:10 pm

I just wanted to draw better. I don't really like children and I didn't have enough aid to continue in education so I switched over to studio arts and enjoyed taking a bunch of art classes. If you live in a small town it's hard to get jobs that you want too once you get out if you are in a specific field.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat May 14, 2016 12:44 pm

That brings up a good point - are you willing to move to a different city for work?

Postby Bassy » Sat May 14, 2016 7:43 pm

Yes, I would because I would like to travel, during my career. And maybe I would find a stand alone job in the field and I would live there. But thats not for a while.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat May 14, 2016 7:59 pm

it will be here before you know it!Time will just continue to seem to pass faster, and faster

Postby Bassy » Sat May 14, 2016 8:19 pm

Ill just have to see where the road takes me

Return to The Lounge