The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

Random facts/myths!

Moderator: Ryvvi

Random facts/myths!

Postby Bassy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:32 pm

This thought occurred when I was at work, by giving you all interesting facts and myths of the human mind, anatomy, past, etc.

FACT: All the chemicals in a human body combined are estimated to be worth about 6.25 euro. In US Dollars that is US $7.35 wow...Source

MYTH: If you swim less than 30 minutes after eating, you'll get a cramp.
Source
I heard after one hour, you can swim. Now as I think about it, I'm not really sure how you can get cramps from swimming after eating.. hm

More to come!

FYI: The first link has their source of information though the second does not. But it's interesting to know :)

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 1:41 pm

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Re: Human facts/myths!

Postby Diana » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:24 pm

fun! Can't wait to see more. :D
My biology teacher told me the body components one.
I always attributed the "don't swim for some time after eating" thing to be related more to letting your food digest so you don't puke in the lake/pool...

Site Admin

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 11:41 am

Postby galled » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:29 pm

They say we're about 70-80% water, but if our chemical components only add up to 4-5 pounds--well, I weigh a lot more than 90lbs! I'm not sure I want to know what the rest is made of!

I remember getting cramps (in the side under the ribs) when I used to run around when I was a kid at picnics and stuff, so there's something to getting a cramp while you're trying to digest, but it has to be high activity.

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:10 pm

give us more!

Postby Bassy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:53 pm

I'm guessing it could be how much you eat or how young you are.

FACT:A human baby has over 60 more bones than an adult. source

So, does the more bones form with the other bones or what?? Like, I don't know how babies have more bones than adults.

MYTH: Different areas of the tongue taste different things source

So this Myth was from a mistranslated by a Harvard professor from a German paper. I heard this myth a lot but I never really thought that it was true.. thought you may not feel it towards the back..i don't think.

Postby Diana » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:44 pm

When you're a baby, you have more bones so you're more squish-able and can fit through the birth canal. The more bones get fused together later on. :)
If I remember right, the skull is the most obvious fusing?

I had a science class that made us do the tongue area testing thing. haha. It kinda works but doesn't.

Site Admin

Postby Bassy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:46 pm

Well that makes sense. The ways humans are is strange lol

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:33 am

I've done tongue tasting tests and some areas do make things seem more bitter or salty... or was it all in my mind!? Something that is true though is foods can affect how wine tastes.

Postby Bassy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:56 pm

I tried the tongue tasting thing on my own with foods and they taste the same in each location.

FACT: Humans long ago never were able to digest milk, we were lactose intolerant. source

In this article, humans from European origins are able to drink milk easier or something like that. Also, it is unknown at this moment how we transitioned from intolerance to tolerance. I love milk. This is based on an evolutionary stand-point.

MYTH: Arthritis can be caused by cracking your knuckles. source

I always knew it was a myth. I ALWAYS crack my knuckles. It feels good like cracking your back.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:40 pm

ha, ha I like when my back cracks but I hate when I have my neck cracked!

Long ago and still in many countries, people drank goat and sheep milk rather then cow and that is much more easily digestible.

Did you ever notice the word countries is like count tries?

Postby Bassy » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:11 am

There is this sore spot on my back that needs to be popped because it gets super tense. I can only pop my back a certain way but a chair but my chairs at home are too long on the back

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:10 pm

see if your medical insurance pays for chiropractor visits. Generally they are a co-pay but quite worth it. You don't have to go often but it helps to have things popped back into position. Also try a roller. Target sells them for about $20 , my chiropractor recommends them (and sells them actually) for helping stretch out the muscles but they also pop things back into position too.

Postby Bassy » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:21 pm

Maybe a place with no co pay and just pay upfront will be easier for me

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:18 pm

I think its the law that you are on your parents medical insurance until you are 26. Ask your parents to request medical cards for you and your sister if they haven't gotten them for you. Still usually way cheaper if you only have to pay a co-pay.

Postby Bassy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:00 pm

FACT:As well as having unique fingerprints, humans also have unique tongue prints. source
Lol, I wonder what mines like.

MYTH: Swallowing gum sticks in your stomach (seven years some say) source
No, it just goes right through you :)

Next

Return to The Lounge