The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

Family Tree Now?

Moderator: Ryvvi

Family Tree Now?

Postby Mousy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:06 pm

I saw this random article floating around my facebook about familytreenow.com. I read it, rolled my eyes, and moved on with my life like I do with most other articles on facebook.

fast forward like 8 hours later and my husband decided to look into it independently of what I read. You see, it even left my brain because the article I read was so poorly written. I thought it was just clickbait.

ANYWAY, it turns out, it's real. There was a creepy amount of information about my family on there. I've since opted out, but like here's an example- it had my dad's ex wife's ex husband listed as someone possibly associated to me.

that's too much.

Let's discuss. ;D

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 5:58 pm

If you are talking to me, please ping or quote me. I get distracted and lose track of what I'm doing easily. :wink:

Re: Family Tree Now?

Postby galled » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:43 am

That site only mines from other sites. Once you're (anything is) on the internet it never goes away! Scary stuff. You can opt out of many, but it'd be a full time job keeping up... :(

Server Administrator

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 4:58 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Watery Star » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:44 am

Stuff like that is why I prefer remaining anonymous online. I kind of hate having facebook but kind of have to in order to keep in touch with family and friends.

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 6:58 pm

Postby Mousy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:55 pm

From what I saw, it collects census information and if anyone else posts your family tree somewhere. And it takes from a few other sources. They collected information that I had no control over. ugh. oh well... it's not entirely accurate because it doesn't have my current address. Haha

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 5:58 pm

Postby Akuyi » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:59 pm

It doesn't find me. D:

Local time: Wed May 15, 2024 12:58 am

Questing with my trusty steed Oculus in the lands of Vee-Ar.

Postby Watery Star » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:37 pm

You're off the grid!

Postby galled » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Mining from the interwebs is one thing, but when companies sell information or the government makes it public and it appears online is terrible. If you're currently off the grid, try and keep it that way. You won't be completely successful, but you'll be better off if you didn't. Sad...

Server Administrator

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:54 pm

I'm probably in trouble then, I think my sister posted our family tree for a cousin.

Postby Diana » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:07 pm

I always find it creepy when sites suggest for me to "connect with people I know". I joined linkedin for my job, and i was suggested to friend my grandpa, even though we had no mutual relationships, as well as my SO's friend from highschool that I had never met, and my SO didn't have a linkedin account at the time.

Facebook has started suggesting people who live near me and then I usually meet at least one of them in the next week. I dont use my address, birthdate, face, or other identifying information online. Most of the time, I dont even use my name!
I find the amount they know about me scary, I can't imagine what they know that they don't show to users! D:

Site Admin

Postby Bassy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:47 pm

It didn't find me. Ancestry.com though, is more reliable. You WILL find yourself there. My university gives us free Ancestry and I found my history back to 1820's.

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Postby Bara-Senpai » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:27 pm

There is very basic information on myself. It lists my mom as a "possible associate" though which I find funny.

I can't remember what site it was, but at one time I found a site that listed almost all of my close family and past and present addresses as well as all my parents past husbands/wives. It was really weird and I started to get a little creeped out cause it had my rehab that I was in and out of for three years as one of my past addresses, and those records are supposed to be closed lol.

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 3:58 pm

Postby galled » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:33 pm

Nothing is secret, unfortunately. With everyone's' medical records being electronic now by law, it's just a matter of time until all of that is found on these sites or hacked and made available... sigh.

Server Administrator

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:36 pm

I think it is more concerning for fear of identity theft. Sadly what starts out for a positive purpose can quickly escalate to fraudulent purposes.

Postby galled » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:46 pm

I've had my identity stolen--it's no fun. The latest thing I read was security experts were warning people to not pose doing a peace sign with your hand in pictures. It seems the resolution of cameras is so high now that they can get your fingerprints off of a photo and use them get at your secure assets like unlocking your devices, doors on your home, etc.. Crazy stuff...

Server Administrator

Postby Watery Star » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:15 am

That's so crazy.

I had a bit of an issue getting my driver's license because my social security number was flagged. They had to stick a couple extra digits at the end of it. Somehow it's ok now.

Next

Return to The Lounge