The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

Power outages

Moderator: Ryvvi

Power outages

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:08 pm

So I have no power
According to National Grid, their estimate is that we won't get power back until ~1500 tomorrow
We lost it at about 1351 today
Mom works essentially in Buffalo
She went to buy tacos, they can't make any cuz no power. She's crossed several dead lights cuz no power
Over in Rochester, where I have several friends, there's no unnecessary travel advisories. Half of said city has no power. People have lost trees
Kinda surprised the willow in front hasn't lost more branches, or just up and died already. It sheds a lot each year as it is

They're recording wind speeds of 80mph+
For context, that's in the speed range of an F1 hurricane

One friend had her garbage cans moved ten feet
I moved a little tykes slide from the pole in front of the house to the side of the house so it won't keep flying away, though it seemed to be nicely wedged against said pole. Better safe than sorry

And yesterday/last night (or the day before, can't remember exactly), the Midwest had tornadoes
Soooooooo
This is the same front, I think

Oh, and it's still going through Ohio, I have a fb friend over there and she mentioned having had power losses for the past week, and chances of more today until about 2100, if they don't extend it

Mom mentioned on our call that we're gonna have to bring out our oil lanterns and candles for tonight
Dad might not even have to go to work tonight

[+] SPOILER
and my period started today so that really doesn't help matters any

Anyone else dealing with this? Any friend of yours?

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 9:10 pm

hangout|art shop|card shop
BUTT CAPES
I need mah butt capes!
ImageImage

Re: Power outages

Postby Diana » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:18 pm

Oh dang! The wind here has been super strong. It has been hard to open doors against it. I am on the other side of the country from you, right? It is crazy that the storm reaches so far, or that our weather is so in sync!
Power is still on here. It is nice you have internet connection! When our power goes out, the internet goes with it.
Sounds like you will be having soup and canned food tacos for dinner today. ;)

Site Admin

Local time: Mon May 13, 2024 7:10 pm

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:43 pm

LOL the phone has data

Stovetop is gas, so we just need to manually light it and we can have more than cold food tonight

I'm on the East Coast, dunno about you

Got the lanterns and candles out, my little one with the green glass chimney is still in good shape
So who knows what mom and dad will do for dinner

Postby Diana » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:59 pm

I'm probably the furthest on the west coast you can be without being underwater. ;)

One big bummer when the power goes out is you have to watch out when opening the fridge. No more standing there wondering what I want to eat! D:

Do you have smelly candles? I like when the power goes out at night so I can light mine. I have a really nice one that is strawberry cheesecake flavoured, and it makes everything smell so sweet!

I hope that you charged all your batteries before the power went out!

Site Admin

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:03 pm

To know that is going on even in Ohio and I live in Kentucky.... We have nothing going on here. At least not in the part I live, not in central Kentucky. Northern might have experienced some.

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:07 pm

Yeah, you're waaaay over there

They've updated the time to be noon

Phone and iPad were plugged in for the night when it went out, so close enough

No scented candles, most of them are old anyway

Over half of the county has no power. Which is about the norm right now in the region

Several major roads like I90 have sections shut down, or "no trucks allowed"

I'm actually in New York, monkey. I just know someone from Ohio

GCC, the local college, is losing roof tiles, so they had to close. They spend money on new and never bother maintaining, much less updating, the older buildings

It's cold, at least we have a wood burning fireplace for at least some form of heat

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:12 pm

You were saying how a FB friend of yours who is in Ohio had power outages... That's why I said that.

But still, we don't have any bad weather where I'm at.

Only last week one day when the power went out for a second and ruined my game. Lol.

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:22 pm

Ooh, losing a game cuz power stuttered
Ouch

Postby murmurlade » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:01 pm

lol, not related to the storm, but we had several power outages recently.

there's a torchlight in every room so usually i just turn it on and continue studying without missing a beat :P

stay safe, diana, kit!

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 10:10 am

----------------------------------------
taugeeee @ twitter / deviantart / gaia
currently: questing bubble wings

always semi-hiatus due to work
please ping me if you want a reply.
----------------------------------------

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:05 pm

We have three flashlights
One is an emergency light thing, one is dead, and the third needs new batteries

The fact that you call it a torch and not a flashlight hints that you're not even close to us

Gonna be a night to bundle up for

And the wind's been kicking around steel corrals. Y'know. For shopping carts
Several towns are declaring state of emergency, no unnecessary travel, etc, and more by the hour

It's been a few years since we had a power outage

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:28 pm

I think your storms out there on the East coast tend to be way worse then ours on the west coast. Plus your temperature is usually colder. Well, it seems you are lucky to have a gas stove - you can boil water for tea or cook food and a wodd furnance shoulf help keep you warm. But it sucks to have no power at night where you can't use the daylight.

Probably a good idea to stay at home if you all can and make sure things are battened down like you were doing moving the slide. Over here people's patio umbrella's get picked up and flown into neighbors yards and windows. My boss had her patio table lifted up by the wind and turned over - glass everywhere. Your winds sound stronger then ours were, I think our were only 65mph.

Be safe! Think safe! We'll think good thoughts for you and your safety.

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:00 pm

Our gusts were hitting 80+
Enough to shake the house a few times

Grilled cheese and chicken noodle soup. Mom's yelling at me to wash dishes tomorrow
All I can think of is how many ended up still greasy last time I did wash them :|

I'm currently curled up on my bed. Doink is under the blankets with me, while Mop is off to the side a bit
It's kinda nice, not cold

No outdoor furniture for us, as I said, the slide belongs to a neighbor

Plus candles and oil lanterns and a couple of flashlights
Hopefully when I wake up tomorrow there'll be power again

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:02 pm

there you go! Keep up the good thoughts and maybe get some rest - an excuse to actually get some sleep!!

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:08 pm

Pfft it's the middle of my day

Plus I sleep badly without the fan running, and guess what? It's down

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:25 pm

hmmm not sure what you can do to replace the fan sound...put a pin wheel outside your window to blow around?

Next

Return to The Lounge