The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

What is this nonsense?

Moderator: Ryvvi

What is this nonsense?

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:03 pm

I was looking around on youtube, finding something to watch.

One channel I like uploaded a video talking about how this one kid got into Stanford and how the reason is utterly ridiculous and it is.

Stanford requires an essay of 100 words or less on their application.

This kid writes #BlackLivesMatter 100 times and got in. GOT IN! AS IN HE WAS ACCEPTED!

Makes those who worked their butts off into getting into Stanford feel like they did all that for nothing when they could just bs the essay with a stupid hashtag.

I expect better from a highly respected college than this.

Deep down I hope it was a mistake and that they didn't mean to accept him.

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 3:46 pm

Re: What is this nonsense?

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:12 pm

Kid prolly fulfilled some outdated and regressive quota and got in via that

hangout|art shop|card shop
BUTT CAPES
I need mah butt capes!
ImageImage

Postby galled » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:59 pm

The education system in California is borked...

Server Administrator

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 1:46 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby murmurlade » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:15 pm

Stanford supposedly has an acceptance rate of 5%.
I've lost pretty much any remaining shred of respect for it-- seriously. I'm dumbfounded to the point... I have no words.

Local time: Wed May 15, 2024 4:46 am

----------------------------------------
taugeeee @ twitter / deviantart / gaia
currently: questing bubble wings

always semi-hiatus due to work
please ping me if you want a reply.
----------------------------------------

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:22 pm

did they think he was being creative and thinking outside of the box? ( At another time it would've been interpreted as being insolent) <was he a "minority" or rather "non'white"?>

Mur - I agree with you there, if you can't afford for your parents to pay for you and you have to work and go to school - they should give out scholarships for being steadfast and responsible. Maybe if you had a scholarship a student wouldn't have to work and be able to focus primarily on studies! The whole system is ascrew and its time we stopped catering to those who think higher education means partying and socializing and supporting those who sincerely want to study and learn a trade.

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:27 am

It was a muslim teen i think. Not a black teen. Idk. But he wasnt white.

Hashtags are dumb.

Postby mdom » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:10 pm

Well, it's not like he was a bad student or anything, he was invited to the white house before for his activistm and interned with Hillary Clinton, also he was accepted in Yale and Princeton as well |D

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 5:46 pm

by Valentine Strange

Postby Polaris » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:46 am

You gotta admit that it takes guts to do that. This reminds me of how one kid got accepted into NYU for writing a gutsy essay where he wrote about things he'd "done" and how the one thing he hadn't "done" was "go to college." My former English teacher used to stress how much this guy had guts, but that none of us try to do what he did because 95% of the time college admissions officers will throw it away.

Maybe it's because of the political turmoil the country's going through right now, or maybe they saw something in this kid. These kinds of essays (like writing #BlackLivesMatter 100 times w/o context or trying to be funny in a formal essay) are heavily discouraged, but hats off to those who did it and got in; it takes special skill and a certain kind of charm to do what they did.

More on Ziad Ahmed aka the guy who wrote the essay

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 4:46 pm

Quest Thread

"Smile at me when you see this flower later..."

Image(click for artist)

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:22 am

Writing a hashtag 100 times doesn't say anything. It loses all meaning.

Is it even an essay? I'd say no.

Postby Polaris » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:59 am

Times are changing, I guess. Maybe they knew he was an activist who got invited to the White House and figured out the context of what he wrote before he could explain it to them?

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 4:46 pm

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:42 am

If i were one to determine who gets into college by what your essay says, i would not care what you achieved, if the essay had no effort put into it, you're not being accepted. There is no reason for his acceptance. It isnt hard to copy and paste a hashtag. I could bs it and say i stand for something i don't via hashtag because i know it would get me into Stanford or an ivy league college.

If a young child can write it, its no good.

Postby galled » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:16 am

I think if an exceptional student wrote an essay like that, I would reject it because they are obviously not stretching themselves and utilizing their gifts and talents to their potential. Accepting a student that feels they don't need to try is enforcing the bad behavior and arrogance. IMHO, the process is broken (like a lot of taxes and laws on the books). We need to look at the desired behavior such things enforces or rejects. The end results matter in addition to the money or quotas they bring in or meet.

Server Administrator

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:23 am

exactly.

Their attempts to be pc, to appeal to the extreme leftists is pretty damaging to their image/reputation.

Colleges need to stay neutral and keep their decisions within reasoning.

Postby galled » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:12 am

From what I have read (and I looked into it a bit more), it seems more about ass kissing than being PC. It's like they're more interested in being associated with this guy than anything else. Perhaps funding will flow more readily if he goes to your school since he has Whitehouse connections and media attention. Or the acceptance committee or chairman is just a total nut job.

Anyway, what I would love to see is him turn down acceptance to that school and mock the school for accepting him with something so ridiculous. I would have total respect for him for doing that! :)

Server Administrator

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:18 pm

That's what I was trying to get at, lol.

I was hoping Stanford would say something after people were starting to get kinda angry about it and explain their reason.

Yeah, if he did that, props to him. But hopefully, he put more efforts for Princeton and yale than he did stanford.If he put just as much effort as he did that essay, then it's just stupid.

Return to The Lounge