The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

Guys, I'm worried about cursive

Moderator: Ryvvi

Guys, I'm worried about cursive

Postby Boris » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:04 am

I don't want cursive to die, and I'm happy that there are those fighting to keep cursive alive. I want to be one of those, but I'm not sure what I can do to help keep cursive alive other than post about it. While I don't buy into it making brain cells, I do think people should learn how to write in cursive, even if they have to learn to write with their shoulder Still, I really do like cursive, and if i were to me, I'd make it law that students should be taught cursive.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 4:58 pm

Re: Guys, I'm worried about cursive

Postby Akuyi » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:15 am

So it's dying out? To be honest I can't really write cursive anymore even though it was pretty much the only way we were writing during elementary school, so I'm not sure how useful it even is.

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 1:58 am

Questing with my trusty steed Oculus in the lands of Vee-Ar.

Postby Diana » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:19 am

Interesting! Why is cursive not alive?

I was taught cursive for three or four years in elementary school. All of third grade was supposed to be in cursive, iirc, it may have been second, but we got a minus if we printed. I should probably mention that I didn't go to elementary all that long ago lol.

I imagine a major problem is that students aren't handwriting nearly as much as they used to. Essays are all typed and printed, not handwritten, and it is kind of silly to do math in cursive. I have been seeing a major rise in popularity of hand lettering in the last few years, so I think that helps increase the popularity of cursive (and various other fonts). Plus, when people do something recreationally, they are less likely to hate and reject it than if they are forced to do it. :)

For me, I think there should be a revival of shorthand. I never learned it but would like to.

Site Admin

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 5:58 pm

Postby Watery Star » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:25 am

Technology has not just replaced cursive but much of handwriting in general. Besides writing notes to myself the only time I'm handwriting anything is signing birthday or Christmas cards. The only time I write in cursive is signing my signature. Do people still learn to sign their signature in cursive anymore?

I think forming a pen pal exchange could be a good way to keep cursive alive. Majority of people probably will continue to use it less and less but as long as there are people still using it and sharing it then it wont die.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 7:58 pm

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:35 am

We learned in third grade
After learning it, using it again was optional for the most part
I didn't use cursive after third grade, except for a handful of things

Tho my handwriting these days is a slur between print and cursive, so I'd say that cursive just made it worse

hangout|art shop|card shop
BUTT CAPES
I need mah butt capes!
ImageImage

Postby Watery Star » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:39 am

I remember learning cursive in school but not when. It seemed more important that I could recognize the cursive alphabet then write it all. I like writing my capital A's in cursive.

Postby galled » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:27 pm

Ooo, that reminds me. I saw this article:

What Your Handwriting Says About You (BBC)

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201705 ... -about-you

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:27 pm

Idk why people wouldn't want to write in cursive....

It's a faster way to write.

When I'm trying to write in a hurry, like taking notes or something, I tend to start writing in cursive because it's so much smoother and quicker.

Postby Polaris » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:37 pm

My handwriting is a terrible cross between regular and cursive. My young cousins report still learning cursive in their classes, but I think schools just aren't placing enough emphasis on it as they used to be.

Changing times, perhaps? Like schools choosing to focus less on how "neat" a person's handwriting is, so long as it's "legible"

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 8:58 pm

Quest Thread

"Smile at me when you see this flower later..."

Image(click for artist)

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:42 pm

I remember in elementary how they would have those with good handwriting go on to learn cursive and those with bad handwriting continue writing print so they get better at it and write legibly.

I had bad handwriting, but I think they eventually taught the rest of us cursive or something because I learned it somehow.

Postby Polaris » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:55 pm

Well that was a terrible way to treat students!! It made kids with "bad handwriting" feel terrible and inadequate. I get that the intention of teachers is to help make the writing "more legible," but to single out/ group out kids like that is terrible. Plus, what some people see as "bad" handwriting could be seen as "pretty" or "cool" by others. Like, I had one friend who thought her handwriting was terrible and teachers singled her out for it, but i always told her it was cool and looked like a legit microsoft font!

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 8:58 pm

Postby Boris » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Akuyi wrote:So it's dying out? To be honest I can't really write cursive anymore even though it was pretty much the only way we were writing during elementary school, so I'm not sure how useful it even is.

It sure is, and it makes me a bit sad. I love cursive so much that I want to go back in time just to learn how to write in the cursive long ago.

Diana wrote:Interesting! Why is cursive not alive?

I was taught cursive for three or four years in elementary school. All of third grade was supposed to be in cursive, iirc, it may have been second, but we got a minus if we printed. I should probably mention that I didn't go to elementary all that long ago lol.

I imagine a major problem is that students aren't handwriting nearly as much as they used to. Essays are all typed and printed, not handwritten, and it is kind of silly to do math in cursive. I have been seeing a major rise in popularity of hand lettering in the last few years, so I think that helps increase the popularity of cursive (and various other fonts). Plus, when people do something recreationally, they are less likely to hate and reject it than if they are forced to do it. :)

For me, I think there should be a revival of shorthand. I never learned it but would like to.

Well, people are using technology more and more, myself included, and there are people who just don't like it. I'm all in favour of cursive and... well, you know where I stand. Write with your shoulder if you need to, that's what I think.
You are correct about students not handwriting things as much as they used to. In fact, my english 12 teacher had us type up a couple of projects. I understand why she'd do that... even still, going as far back as elementary school, I was taught typing rule and such that I have long forgotten.

Really? Hand lettering on the rise? That's news to me, and it's music to my ears!

I am unfamiliar with shorthand.
As for the elementary school part... did you recently graduate high school, or am I misunderstanding you?
Watery Star wrote:Technology has not just replaced cursive but much of handwriting in general. Besides writing notes to myself the only time I'm handwriting anything is signing birthday or Christmas cards. The only time I write in cursive is signing my signature. Do people still learn to sign their signature in cursive anymore?

I think forming a pen pal exchange could be a good way to keep cursive alive. Majority of people probably will continue to use it less and less but as long as there are people still using it and sharing it then it wont die.
Yes, you're right, and... I'm not sure they are anymore. A lot of states have don away with teaching cursive ever since... common core came out. I've said it once out loud before, I'll say it again... common core is stupid.

All the people I know can't read cursive... well, that statement is false... anyone I want t be en pals with don't like giving out their information, so I'm screwed. Of course, I understand why they don't.
Kitalpha Hart wrote:We learned in third grade
After learning it, using it again was optional for the most part
I didn't use cursive after third grade, except for a handful of things

Tho my handwriting these days is a slur between print and cursive, so I'd say that cursive just made it worse
I didn't start using cursive until sometime around high school... if I could, I'd write these posts in cursive. Roliana used to be able to do that, but ever since it went down, I no longer was able to... still, I stopped using cursive there because not a lot of people were able to read my posts... I regret my decision to stop using cursive there.

galled wrote:Ooo, that reminds me. I saw this article:

What Your Handwriting Says About You (BBC)

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201705 ... -about-you
I'll look at that later.
MonkeyGirl18 wrote:Idk why people wouldn't want to write in cursive....

It's a faster way to write.

When I'm trying to write in a hurry, like taking notes or something, I tend to start writing in cursive because it's so much smoother and quicker.
One friend says it hurts to write, some people say that it hurts to write after writing a lot, and I have read on reddit (I looked p cursive there) that cursive is unnecessary. When I'm a slow writer, but when I write slightly faster, I give my "n"s and "m"s extra bumps.
Polaris wrote:My handwriting is a terrible cross between regular and cursive. My young cousins report still learning cursive in their classes, but I think schools just aren't placing enough emphasis on it as they used to be.

Changing times, perhaps? Like schools choosing to focus less on how "neat" a person's handwriting is, so long as it's "legible"
I like your cousin's school. 20/10 would donate money to the school at least once. Times are changing, and I don't like it.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 4:58 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:37 pm

It seems like there is no honor and pride in what we do anymore. Everything is rush through, just get it done.

Now if you want to write beautifully you have to take an art class and learn calligraphy.
That said, my writing has always been poor and I'd have my teachers in elementary school comment on my report cards - however one year I got a "most improved penmanship" award (because the Teacher could finally read my writing I think). But I do envy those who can write beautifully. My older sister always has very nice penmanship but then my Dad taught her to write and he died before I was old enough to be taught by him and my Mom was a leftie trying to teach a rightie. :wink:

Postby mdom » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Lettering is a thing nowadays, even if it's more of a design area than something to be taught in schools. But it's one way to not let cursive die, evolve with the times.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 9:58 pm

by Valentine Strange

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:29 pm

Speaking of legible writing, for a class I wrote slowly, since others would be able to view it...
No one knew who had written it, since names were on the back

Next

Return to The Lounge