The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

Guys, I'm worried about cursive

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Guys, I'm worried about cursive

Postby Boris » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:37 pm

mdom wrote:Lettering is a thing nowadays, even if it's more of a design area than something to be taught in schools. But it's one way to not let cursive die, evolve with the times.
Hmm... well, there are a few I wouldn't mind sending handwritten letters to, but... I already know they don't want to give out that information... at least not to me, so... yeah... not much I can do there.

Kitalpha Hart wrote:Speaking of legible writing, for a class I wrote slowly, since others would be able to view it...
No one knew who had written it, since names were on the back
Really? Ineresting. We wrote our names on the front of the paper.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 6:03 pm

Postby yorunaka » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:50 pm

Writing is pretty common still in my country. Most likely because I live in a 3rd world country hence using tablets/laptops for note-taking for young children isn't really allowed in most schools (not a problem for universities for the most part).

I personally don't like writing in cursive though. I find that when I write in a hurry, I'm better off writing in ugly print than hurried cursive because I can decipher my hurried print much more easily and accurately. I'm also not a big fan of the non-sans serif fonts since I like clean looking letters.

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 10:03 am

Postby Gingerale » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:10 pm

printing is definitely much more legible then writing.

Postby Bassy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:39 pm

Cursive is very important, especially for important documents. If you want to be a historian, you need to learn cursive. Most documents from the past are in cursive so you really need to learn it. Cursive helps expand our minds, I love cursive. It's pretty.

My neighbor showed me how I could do my r's better than what I usually did. It's more mature than my kid cursive is lol. I didn't learn much of cursive in 2nd grade but managed to stick.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 9:03 pm

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:29 pm

It was haiku, and with a drawing
Plus the teacher wanted us, the class, to guess who did which haiku, all of them based around what we saw/heard. Being close to the end of the school day, the busses we're getting ready so mine was mostly sound effects of the busses
With out names on the back, no one knew it was mine

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 9:03 pm

hangout|art shop|card shop
BUTT CAPES
I need mah butt capes!
ImageImage

Postby ShiroGEM » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:04 am

I was told by a british teacher that cursive was faster to write with because you never had to lift your pen. Though studying in HK, cursive was not mandatory. I tried learning it but I like separating my letters more because cursive is honestly really hard to read and I like simplicity. It is beautiful when people write it out though in calligraphy and I really admire it as an art form. ^^

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 10:03 am

chris | they/them | hong kong
Hangout • Wishlist • AvisSketchbook • Items I've Made
Art Shop!

pixel by Mouse

Postby Boris » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:50 am

yorunaka wrote:Writing is pretty common still in my country. Most likely because I live in a 3rd world country hence using tablets/laptops for note-taking for young children isn't really allowed in most schools (not a problem for universities for the most part).

I personally don't like writing in cursive though. I find that when I write in a hurry, I'm better off writing in ugly print than hurried cursive because I can decipher my hurried print much more easily and accurately. I'm also not a big fan of the non-sans serif fonts since I like clean looking letters.

I see. Maybe I should move to your country... but I'm not because I don't really want to leave my country.
Bassy wrote:Cursive is very important, especially for important documents. If you want to be a historian, you need to learn cursive. Most documents from the past are in cursive so you really need to learn it. Cursive helps expand our minds, I love cursive. It's pretty.

My neighbor showed me how I could do my r's better than what I usually did. It's more mature than my kid cursive is lol. I didn't learn much of cursive in 2nd grade but managed to stick.
I agree, but I think everyone should learn cursive at some point. I'm happy your neighbor was able to help you.
Kitalpha Hart wrote:It was haiku, and with a drawing
Plus the teacher wanted us, the class, to guess who did which haiku, all of them based around what we saw/heard. Being close to the end of the school day, the busses we're getting ready so mine was mostly sound effects of the busses
With out names on the back, no one knew it was mine
I see.
ShiroGEM wrote:I was told by a british teacher that cursive was faster to write with because you never had to lift your pen. Though studying in HK, cursive was not mandatory. I tried learning it but I like separating my letters more because cursive is honestly really hard to read and I like simplicity. It is beautiful when people write it out though in calligraphy and I really admire it as an art form. ^^
I've heard people say that it's faster to write cursive as well.

Postby galled » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:21 pm

I think handwriting is special whether it's cursive or printing. Typing stuff just isn't a personal or special. The content may be the same, but act of writing imparts so much about the person doing the writing. I guess this is why autographs are special. In this light, cursive is far more interesting as art. :)

Server Administrator

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 7:03 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Boris » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:50 pm

I prefer cursive without a doubt. I even wanna be a writer, but... the only problem is... with cursive dying out, not a lot of people will want to read cursive... of course, books aren't printed as such... still, I'd have to write it, then type it, then print it... but I don't want to do that... if only I could publish my own book... actually, I know a little of how it's done... I have watched books get made... and my sister and I worked in binding... which has books. I'm not sure how to publish books myself, though.

Postby galled » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:00 pm

There's not much to publishing. Marketing is the hard part! Do you have specific questions?

Server Administrator

Postby Boris » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:56 pm

So far, my only question is, how do I market?

Postby galled » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:59 am

Boris wrote:So far, my only question is, how do I market?

The broad answer is identify your core market and decide on the most effective way to put your product in front of them with an offer they can't resist.

The old 5 w's will lead to How:

Who would want your book?
What would be the most effective sales pitch?
Where can you reach these people?
Why would they not buy your book?
When would be the best time to use your marketing resources?

Know this stuff and you'll narrow down your options for How to sell your book!

Server Administrator

Postby Boris » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:28 am

That would most definitely help! Thanks very much! ^_^

Postby galled » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:16 pm

Happy to help! Good luck! :)

Server Administrator

Postby Hero » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:55 am

I used to be forced to write in cursive back in middle school & high school. I'm glad I don't have to go through that ordeal anymore.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 10:03 pm

:grin_wink: Hi, the name is Hero!

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge