The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

The Use of Crosswalks/Panhandling

Moderator: Ryvvi

The Use of Crosswalks/Panhandling

Postby Bassy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:23 am

So I was driving to work yesterday, and people keep trying to cross the street on a very busy street. I swear two almost got hit yesterday... there is literally a crosswalk 20 feet down the road. Are people's laziness really a death-wish or something? It was getting close to rush hour so that made the danger levels rise. I wouldn't want to witness someone's death or injury. That is one of my fears.

Panhandling is a big problem when I go to work. No one is gonna give you money, panhandlers... I'm sure people would like to help but you can't trust anyone anymore. Some may have jobs, trying to scam people for drugs or whatever. There is this van that picks them up as a solution but I hear people haven't seen it lately. I see it usually around the University (not the one I attend) and it's sketchy. These college student's need to be careful off campus, day or night.

These things in life erks me.

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 7:04 am

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

Re: The Use of Crosswalks/Panhandling

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:18 pm

some of our shopping centers have signs posted saying they donate to the homeless shelter and ask that people do not encourage panhandling by giving out money since there is a community facility specifically to help out those in need at no cost to the participant.
However, I look at the panhandlers on their smart phones, costly backpacks and shoes and with their well fed dogs and wonder sometimes how they are able to afford that stuff and I can't. Not to say there aren't those pushing their shopping carts full of stuff from the trash or with their bikes loaded with their belongings... but our area goes above and beyond to house and feed the "homeless'.

What concerns me most is the new drugs that are out there that make people go crazy and become violent. I can walk past a regular panhandler but it only takes a moment for the other kind, who maybe are off their meds or drugged out, to reach out and grab you or block the door and be yelling at you swinging their arms etc. Some have robbed and attacked employees at the shops. Those ones scare me.

And people crossing the road where they shouldn't be - I yell out what are you thinking!!!?? (Of course I am in my car and they can't hear me)

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 5:04 am

Postby Bassy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:13 pm

I worry about others safety and my safety. This is why I get angry about this because if I try to stop because people are crossing the street, some car behind me can hit me then I could be injured. Even with panhandlers, I don't want to put myself in any danger.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:30 pm

exactly! and why aren't they thinking about the impact their crossing could cause? And even if they are crossing in the crosswalk, why aren't they looking both directions to make sure everyone is stopped!

OMG - flashback to me crossing at the cross walk AT THE LIGHT, I'm at the middle of the road, and a car speeding by me almost hits me (and the cop that was crossing too).<freeaaked me out>

Postby Bassy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:51 pm

I saw an awkward story when the kids head almost got cut off. Okay, this this is maybe 12 years old. He has no seatbelt on, the driver not caring at all. First off, we were at a light and he mooned me and my friends. Then after the light turned green, we were on a 45mph zone. He stuck his head out the window and then right when he went back in the car a big truck flies by!! That was really close!

Don't get me started with texting drivers, I count every single car to see if they're texting. Quite a lot.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:48 pm

that is so incredibly horrific... I guess why our parents always told us to keep our arms and heads inside the car and not out the window.

I wish I had a camera on my car and could press a button and send the photo to the police so they could get tickets. If they want to text so badly then get a vehicle where you can connect your phone and that is voice activated

Postby Bassy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:53 pm

It would be interesting to get a dash cam. It could be useful if I ever get into an accident.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:20 pm

actually a camera would help me see if I need to improve my driving too.

Postby Bassy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:56 am

There are vehicles that have like rear view cameras when backing out. My mom doesn't have that but when she backs up to something close, it beeps. Those kinds of cars can help by backing up too.

I've seen a lot of car compilation's on youtube, a lot is in Russia, of car crashes. Most of people not being smart, either the pedestrian or the driver. They all have dashcams... I wonder why.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:53 am

ya, most accidents are from distracted driving

Postby galled » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:41 pm

I think one day all cars will have dash cams. They're just a good idea. Actually, I think it'd be impossible for an autonomous car to not have multiple cameras on them. It'll be interesting to see how the insurance industry will assign fault when autonomous cars become main stream. Personally, I can't wait! :)

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Bassy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:27 am

People will intentionally go infront of you so they can get the insurance money. That's why I hate that law if someone hits you from the rear, intentionally or not, the one that hit you is automatically at fault. People break check randomly or pedestrians pretend to be hit.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:19 pm

and you can't follow the 5 second rule on the streets because people will cut in front of you and you break and run the risk of hitting them!

Postby Bassy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:20 am

People will tail me so badly, even when I need to be in the left lane. Then the person infront of me stops or slows down makes me so nervous. This guy behind me could wreck my car..

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:03 pm

I try to move over sooner then when I need to be if I can see down the road I won't have any space.

Return to The Lounge