The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

Gather Round

Moderator: Ryvvi

Gather Round

Postby Ryvvi » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:15 am

ok so! (happy birthday to me)

Meet Pudge!
pets.php?petid=1005

Time to learn all about my favourite animal :cool:

Platypi are super adorable, and also super shy. Like barely ever see them in the wild shy and are the annoying creatures that hide in zoo enclosures so you can never see them even though you stand there for like 20 minutes trying to catch a glimpse and they-
anyway.

Their fur is so thick that it actually prevents the skin from getting wet at all, creating a waterproof cover preventing mould and such growing on their skin. they spend time in freshwater rivers, foraging along the bottom using their bill to dig in looking for insects and worms. The bill is so sensitive that they can hunt using their bill alone, with no other senses!

And just like every other animal on this god forsaken island, the platypus is venomous! (Only the males) Which is quite rare for mammals. They have a spur on their hind legs which while not fatal, are still apparently super freaking painful and can last MONTHS.

Still cute tho.

Other oddities: 1 of 5 mammals in the entire world to lay eggs, and once the babies hatch, the mother doesnt have nipples, instead the baby sucks the milk out of the fur which comes from glands that secrete the milk! (gross)
They arent an endangered species! We think. Theres actually no one who has a solid idea of the actual population of them, assuming it's because of their quite shy nature, making them difficult to find.
When they were first found by the english invaders, they sent a stuffed platypus back to england who collectively thought it was a hoax! And thought they had sown several animals together.

So. Cute.
the end. :cool:

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 3:06 pm

Ry: Rise of The Innovator 4000 , The Quickening [NOT THE BEEEEESSS Limited Edition]

Re: Gather Round

Postby Watery Star » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:48 am

So cute! Both platypuses in general and the new pet.
Thanks for sharing all the facts along with the pictures!

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 11:06 pm

Postby murmurlade » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:30 am

Happy birthday Ryvvi! Probably maybe!
Platypi are really cute-- but I had no idea they were poisonous, geez.... >_> Always thought they were just really cute smol mammals that liked to play with water.. or something along those lines.
*cries at tat little duck beak*

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 12:06 pm

----------------------------------------
taugeeee @ twitter / deviantart / gaia
currently: questing bubble wings

always semi-hiatus due to work
please ping me if you want a reply.
----------------------------------------

Postby Ryvvi » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:26 am

everything is secretly venomous here xD
speaking of smol though, apparently a long long time ago their ancestors used to be like... a metre long. so massive. (3 feet? i think? imperial system is dumb)

Postby Of the Stars » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:19 am

That would be slightly over 3 feet (3.28084). That's big!
I read about them being venomous but it's something that I kind of forget about because it's unexpected.
Their feet look so different when in the water. Like they turn from paws into flippers.

~*~* Watery Star's mule *~*~

Postby Ryvvi » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:28 am

they do! their webbing can actually retract further back giving them basically paws
theres so many like little things that makes them really unique and weird

Postby mdom » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:41 am

Happy Birthday Ryvvi!!!
Pudge is a cutie.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 1:06 am

by Valentine Strange

Postby Mousy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:56 am

*gathered round*
I DEMAND MORE STORIES FROM THE GODFORSAKEN ISLAND.

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 10:06 pm

If you are talking to me, please ping or quote me. I get distracted and lose track of what I'm doing easily. :wink:

Postby Gingerale » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:09 pm

An educational and interesting read -I had no idea - and they do look like a mixture of several animals put together. I wonder if scientist have checked their DNA to see how closely they are related to those animals (duck?, beaver? -? )

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 8:06 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:44 pm

I can't get my brain around how the babies nurse...is that sucking the fur anywhere on its mothers body? She could be a mop of milk...and feed the neighborhood...

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 9:06 pm

Postby Ryvvi » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:27 pm

Theyre actually closely related to absolutely nothing. like literally nothing

and yeah the milk thing i didnt know~ strong wtf moment!

Postby Watery Star » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:47 am

A nursing mop is a funny thought!
There seems to be a missing link in the platypus genealogy.

Postby Ryvvi » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:16 am

yeah i dont know if they used to be related to other animals that have gone extinct but im assuming they have no close relatives because of how isolated australia is

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:24 pm

Australia is a land of wonders for sure! It would be cool if we were to find bones from related species on other land masses showing a link.

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 9:06 pm

Postby Gingerale » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:36 pm

And lots more platypus in the pet shop now! I bet Australia doesn't have the colours Windlyn has!

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 8:06 pm

Next

Return to The Lounge