The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

These Crappy Headphones

Moderator: Ryvvi

These Crappy Headphones

Postby Uchuuko » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:39 pm

I bought some Core Audio wireless headphones from a Beall's Outlet (like Ross, TJ Maxx, Burlington, etc. discount stores) at least a month ago. They would have costed around $20, but were ~$12 at Beall's. Today I turned them on for the only time in 24 hours, and the left speaker's sound is off. The bass that the right speaker has is absent in the left one.

This sucks. I'm leaving a review for these headphones. I've had the similar issue with buying cheaper headphones where they would die after a month of use. I've only owned one other pair of wireless headphones (they were one clearance for ~$7-8); while those still have good sound in both speakers, the headphones physically fell apart after ~5-6 months of use. Have you all experienced the same?

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 6:31 am

Re: These Crappy Headphones

Postby galled » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:27 pm

Sorry you had issues. Headphone durability seems to depend more on design than materials/construction quality control. Most of my failed headphones have been due to cable/wiring issues rather than failed drivers or connectors. The kinds that seem to last longer have more flexible cables (they don't retain kinks or curls), but the most important bit is how well the strain relief at the driver, control (if any) and the connector. What you want is a design that wont allow the cable to kink (sharp bend at the exit) or allow any pull movement.

My observation has been that price doesn't always reflect quality, performance, or durability.

Hope this helps!

Server Administrator

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 4:31 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Uchuuko » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:36 pm

Thank you (you did have in mind that these headphones are wireless? Just making sure; I do know that such headphones still have wires in them). Checking the receipt, the pair actually costed ~$10. I exchanged the headphones today for different ones of the same brand (the store have a lot of the brand). Unfortunately, I hate the sound of the new headphones; it's so darn quiet compared to the last ones.

I know I said that I have owned one other pair of wireless headphones, but I have also had one other pair of headphones prior to the headphones that I exchanged today. They were also Core Audio, but I ended up returning them immediately after taking them home because I suspected they were used; one of the buttons was pushed in to where it did not work. The Beall's store has a lot of tampered with headphones; I see that a lot of them have broken tape seals and beaten up boxes (and the pair I'm talking about right now only had one of the seals broken). The ones I have now looked untampered with, however.

I have a negative opinion of Core Audio though, since these new headphones do my experience with the last pair no justice. These headphones are supposed to delivery stereo sound, but their quieter sound suggests otherwise (my last headphones were also stereo, if I'm not mistaken, and they were much louder, allowing me to more clearly hear subtle notes in music). The bass is just not the same.

Postby galled » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:55 pm

You know I totally missed the wireless part! :embarassed:

So nevermind my babbling...

Assuming the specs on the package are accurate, ones that list dB SPL/mW (might be shown as dB/mW) will indicate how loud they sound per watt of signal. (Technically "sound pressure.") Of course if they're used, defective or from a manufacturer that stretches the truth then all bets are off!

Bass bias is hard to quantify by spec assuming equal frequency response (high end devices typically include actual test reports). So trying them as you have is your best bet. Glad you shop at a place with a good return policy!

Server Administrator

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 4:31 am

Postby Mouse » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:13 am

It's hard to find good quality headphones, if I'm honest. I feel like the good ones are more expensive and that really sucks!

Sometimes they arent even that good

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 3:31 am

Postby Uchuuko » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:25 am

Mouse wrote:It's hard to find good quality headphones, if I'm honest. I feel like the good ones are more expensive and that really sucks!

Sometimes they arent even that good

True that. :strain: But at least I'm in a better position now with these wireless headphones than when I only have wired headphones. Wired headphones would only last me a month. :cry:

Return to The Lounge