The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

Weight Loss and Fitness

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Weight Loss and Fitness

Postby Pop » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:08 pm

3 sets of 10 is exactly what I am starting out with, the "OPM-Regimen" refers to the training Saitama from One-Punch Man does (I know its not a proper workout routine, but without the fun-factor I would not be able to stick with it at all).
And either way it is gonna build stamina which is my main goal (besides forcing myself on a healthier diet out of neccesity to maintain the training).

As for the raw meat, no its not dried, its just straight raw red meat, commonly known as Steak Tartar, but without all the garnish.

Local time: Fri May 10, 2024 4:57 am

Postby galled » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:27 pm

Have you gotten any blood tests done lately for a physical? That can tell you a lot about your diet (what you're eating too much of or not enough of.

I'm not sure I'd like raw meat, but the possibility of getting sick from something uncooked is my biggest fear!

Server Administrator

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 8:57 pm

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Pop » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:44 pm

I had a blood test taken last year around this time, everything is a-ok, they said I was very healthy considering my "lifestyle", so guessing I still am?...
Been wondering how radical an effect living healthy would actually have on me, so think its about time I found out.

Postby galled » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:12 am

I think that's a great idea!

If you do fall off the wagon so to speak, keep in mind that a younger body can keep up with a bad lifestyle (diet included) better than an older one. It usually all catches up with you in the end it seems, so getting it right before you have problems is absolutely the way to go.

Server Administrator

Postby Pop » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:03 am

Hehe, yeah I have always been of the "forever young" mindset(and still am), but I guess its about time I stopped eating like a teenager :worry:

Postby Pop » Fri May 01, 2020 8:00 am

So day 1 of my training went about as well as expected, almost completed 2/3 of my planned workout haha.
If anyone needs to feel a bit better about their own athleticism, and to help keep me on point with this, I have uploaded my "training session" to Bitchute and Youtube.
Feel free to make fun of me in the comments, it will help my motivation :grin_wink:
https://www.bitchute.com/video/PaGeQYoy9k37/
https://youtu.be/faQSPBljQXM

Postby Pop » Sat May 30, 2020 3:57 am

Tore a ligament and damaged my shoulder, so been out of commision for a while.
Doing a complete rework of my dieting and going into it a bit slower.

Lesson leaarned, dont sit still for 10 years and then suddenly try to work out, its dangerous hahaha

Postby galled » Sat May 30, 2020 10:21 am

Oh, sorry to hear about your shoulder. Knees and shoulders are the first to go as we age.

Slow and steady is always best. You can push, but now you know your limitations, you'll do fine.

What did you do with your diet?

Also, I missed your video, but just watched it. You're not by far in terrible shape. You should see what many average Americans look like!

Server Administrator

Postby Pop » Sun May 31, 2020 6:42 am

Diet-wise I am now eating 2 chicken-bacon sandwiches, 3 bananas and 2 liters of water everyday, adding a few cans of coca-cola to stave off the sugar lows whenever I get woozy.
My biggest problem is that healthy food is kinda expensive and not very filling, I could easily eat 5 sandwiches a day but simply cant afford to.

In comparison I used to live off of, 300 grams of chocolate chip cookies, 180g of barbecua potato chips, 150g of chocolate, 2-3 candybars, 100g of winegums, 2-3 liters of coca-cola, once or twice pr. week I would eat a pizza.

As far as my shape goes, I am one of those "fat on the inside" types, my metabolism is ridiculously high so my body burns the fat as fast as I collect it.
My record for putting on weight is 1 kilo (2lbs) over a period of 1 month, I was staying at my grandparents (stereotypical "eat more, eat more" type grandma) during December and everyday I would eat a fullsize 4-layered cake, 3 meals a day, a large softice and 6-10 sodas, in addition I would eat a bag of candy (120g) and some candybars.

Postby galled » Sun May 31, 2020 8:09 am

With your old diet, you're lucky you didn't develop diabetes. Other than the soda and lack of veggies it's a big step in the right direction. Have you looked into Atkins or Keto? If you want to burn fat, low carb is the way to go. I don't recommend keto (adding so much fat is counterproductive), but the concept is the same.

Server Administrator

Postby Pop » Sun May 31, 2020 12:37 pm

Dunno what Atkins or Keto is, I am an extremely picky eater so never bothered looking into dietary advice on account of not liking most foods.
I also never thought of diets as anything but weightloss methods which would be rather counter productive in my case.

A quick googling indicates there are 3 plans called, Atkins 20, 40 and 100. with the two first being for weight loss and the last for pregnant women as far as I can tell.
Being completely ignorant on the subject I would think a bodybuilder diet of some sort is more appropriate since I am essentially aiming to build mass and feed my muscles?

Postby galled » Sun May 31, 2020 1:02 pm

The concept behind Keto and Atkins is to reduce/eliminate carbs because carbs turn into fat easiest. With a modern diet of high carbs, your body uses carbs for energy and stores any extra as fat. When you reduce carbs to a point where you achieve ketosis (where the "keto" term comes from), your body will burn fat for energy because it has no carbs to burn (remember fats are what carbs turn into when your body has too much).

Atkins and keto diets (and Paleo too are based on the same ideas) are primarily based on limiting carb intake and replacing them with protein (good for muscle building). Your body will live off of fats you have already and any fats you eat. The plus side is proteins keep you feeling fuller longer too (carbs make you hungry).

These "diets" are based on the thought that humans evolved for millions of years on such foods. It's only been the last few thousand years that farming (and the rise of cabs!) became the main food sources. Foods that are typical for hunter/gatherers fit these diets. It made sense to me and since going low carb, I've lost 50lbs and am the fittest I've ever been in my life (I don't think I have any subcutaneous fat anymore either). I think clearer, have more energy for anything, and all of my blood work comes out perfect now. I can't recommend it enough.

However, I will warn you that the "add fat to your diet" for the current keto version didn't work for me. It sent my lipid panels through the roof. Perhaps it was because I still had fat on my body, but I don't add fat to my diet and I do fine. I don't fear fat in foods, but I don't add any. In fact the best part is I don't count calories and I eat as much as I want (I do know when to stop tho now--I used to be able to eat way beyond feeling full or eating without actually being hungry).

It's pretty easy to do too. Just read labels for carb counts. I try to keep my carb intake to under 20g (closer to 15 and under most of the time) in an hour. I doesn't seem to matter how many total carbs I eat in a day to stay in ketosis. There are some downsides at the start (keto fever, keto breath), but the passed within a week or so.

You could try it for a couple of week and see how you do. I think I lost 10lbs in first two weeks and I didn't feel hungry. As I went along I found substitutes for most foods that are high carb that I like, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything. It's been wonderful!

edit: Oh, I forgot to mention that excess carbs (and some say carbs in general) produce chronic inflammation. This is really bad for your health and at the root of many diseases and complications.

Server Administrator

Postby Pop » Sun May 31, 2020 2:11 pm

Might be me that is a little slow on the uptake, but I still dont get how a fat reducing diet would help when I dont have any to burn?
Tried eating mostly veggies and fruits before going for the double sandwich solution, and it just left me hungry all the time, it does not matter how many I eat I am still hungry, I ate 6 pears, a pinapple, 10 bananas, 250g of strawberries and a liter of yoghurt on my first day of changing my diet, and then I had to go get a pizza and a 1.5l soda in the evening because I was feeling so light headed and hungry.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun May 31, 2020 3:11 pm

I find it is not so much how much I eat but what type of food I eat that makes me feel "full". I can eat a lot of fruit and not feel full. I can eat a lettuce wrapped hamburger and feel stuffed.

Soup fills me up pretty good as well.

Postby galled » Sun May 31, 2020 3:45 pm

Pop wrote:Might be me that is a little slow on the uptake, but I still dont get how a fat reducing diet would help when I dont have any to burn?
Tried eating mostly veggies and fruits before going for the double sandwich solution, and it just left me hungry all the time, it does not matter how many I eat I am still hungry, I ate 6 pears, a pinapple, 10 bananas, 250g of strawberries and a liter of yoghurt on my first day of changing my diet, and then I had to go get a pizza and a 1.5l soda in the evening because I was feeling so light headed and hungry.

You don't need to reduce fat intake--keto tells you to increase fat--to the tune of eating spoonfuls of butter. The idea is just don't add fat to your diet.

Fruits have major carbs--and carbs lead to hunger. Many vegies are high carb too, so you can't just classify all vegies as low carb goals. Dairy is good mostly, but milk has a lot of carbs so I avoid that. The funny thing is skim milk has more carbs than full fat milk and many cheeses. Reading labels can be a real eye-opener!

Plain yoghurt can be low carb, but most yoghurts have as many and sometimes more carbs than ice cream!

Pizza and sodas are probably the worst things for you carb-wise. Well, I eat a lot of pizza, just not the typical crust (where all of the carbs are).

Server Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge