The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

Favorite quotes or lyrics?

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Favorite quotes or lyrics?

Postby silverberry » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:54 am

Cilencio Cerbera
The most striking and noticeable thing is when something you've taken for granted and was always there is suddenly gone.
It was very literal in the book, because in the situation it popped up, there was someone playing a song all throughout the event. When he stopped playing, the entire atmosphere changed.

----

Aaa lyrics about romantic love. It's such a classic, though I think my taste runs a bit on the intense side?
(The only type I could relate too, unfortunately.)
Love is so quiet and often overlooked, like the ground we walk on, until it changes. And I think I appreciate familial and platonic love more than romantic ones?

Anyways, some poetry about love that I appreciate so much

Die on My Chest by Nizar Qabbani

I have given you the
opportunity to
choose so choose
whether to die on
my chest or on the
pages of my poetry

Because my love for you... by Nizar Qabbani
Because my love for you
Is higher than words,
I have decided to fall silent.

This one is incredibly relatable. The stronger the emotion, the harder it is to talk about.

From William Shakespeare's Hamlet
(NGL wasn't this extremely desperate and faked? Still a cool verse though)
Doubt thou the stars are fire,
Doubt that the sun doth move,
Doubt truth to be a liar,
But never doubt I love.

From William Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing
(Made more hilarious because they're just going to see someone's uncle here.)
I will live in thy heart, die in thy lap, and be buried in thy eyes

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:52 pm

https://windlynonline.com/cgi-bin/forums/event/eggHunt/partyCrasher2.png

They/them
Hangout Thread | CK Art Album

Images used belongs to Windlyn and their artists - slightly edited to prevent confusion for current event.

Postby silverberry » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:15 am

I want this one as a tattoo (and I'm fairly sure others have it tattooed on them already)

Fear of Falling, The Sandman: Fables and Reflections, written by Neil Gaiman
You know what happens when you dream of falling? Sometimes you wake up.
Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly

Postby Vaughn Creighton » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:43 am

bring it on sistah! lol :cheer: :cheer: :scream: :scream:
seriously.. still looking for a good quote right now

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:52 am

Postby silverberry » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:00 am

Best of luck!! I save some good ones from things I've read so I have a growing list. They're not all deep-ish. I just like how it sounded when I read them.

From The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett
She leaned down and centuries bent with her.

"The secret is not to dream", she whispered. "The secret is to wake up. Waking up is harder. I have woken up and I am real. I know where I come from and I know where I'm going. You cannot fool me anymore. Or touch me. Or anything that is mine."

Postby galled » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:42 pm

I've never read any Terry Pratchett, but I really like the movies of his books.

Server Administrator

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:52 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Cilencio Cerbera » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:28 am

Everyone is searching for their respective utopia
What kind of conclusion will they meet?

by Mothy, from Seven Crimes and Punishment

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Postby silverberry » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:42 am

galled wrote:I've never read any Terry Pratchett, but I really like the movies of his books.

I'm the exact opposite. Been slowly getting every book from the Discworld series, yet somehow I've never seen any of the movies yet.

I see some quotes and gifs from The Hogfather movie show up every now and then.

--and a sword. It was four feet long and glinted along the blade.

The mother took a deep breath.

'You can't give her that!' she screamed. 'It's not safe!'

IT'S A SWORD, said the Hogfather. THEY'RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

'She's a child!' shouted Crumley.

IT'S EDUCATIONAL.

'What if she cuts herself?'

THAT WILL BE AN IMPORTANT LESSON.

'All right,' said Susan. 'I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable.'

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

'Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little-'

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

'So we can believe the big ones?'

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

'They're not the same at all!'

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET -- Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME... SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

'Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point--'

MY POINT EXACTLY.

Postby galled » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:41 pm

silverberry

I think my favorite movie of them all is Going Postal. Thanks for the quotes--it's much more profound when read (and I keep seeing the characters from the movie in my head!).

Server Administrator

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:52 am

Postby silverberry » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:34 pm

I haven't read Going Postal yet! Or anything that includes the Nightwatch yet
My favorite story series has to be the one with Granny Weatherwax.

NP! I should watch the films too! I wanna see how different they are from the books.

Postby Cilencio Cerbera » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:43 am

“Emotions, no matter what you do,
are useless,” the Devil said.
“Just throw everything away.”
Ah, your pleasure, enjoyment, even your discomfort!
The unchangeable truth is that
humans cannot escape demise.
“No one can oppose, so abide your desires.”
Don’t take a break from your thoughts, keep your brain spinning.

This part sounds edgy, I like it XD-//SLAPPED AHAHAHAHAAHAHA
That aside, my takeaway from this is that our lifespan is limited. Instead of being tied down by and blindly follows the morale created by those with the desire to control another, why not actively question it to see whether it applies to our own life. Decide for oneself whether to create or apply certain morale in one's life. What is living if we live solely to please another that may or may not give a care for our damnation, other than their own sole pleasure?

“No one is looking at you.”
Why are you ashamed of going crazy?
I’ll teach you all the perfect way to dance incorrectly

I like this part too, giving some Black Butler vibes XDDDD especially the dance part LMAO
Idk how true is this, I believe that one's true self can be seen depending on which choices they made when nobody is watching them. When we're not watched, nobody will call us out on our action and we highly may not face any repercussion for our actions. This is the perfect time for those that seek to do bad. Temptation and one's collective past experience plays a great deal on their choices too. Though, I believe that this is where we judge one's character.

“Emotions are a nuisance
all the time," the Devil said.

If you're aiming to work as an astronaut yeah-//slapped jk
Many times, people tend to give little creative to emotions. While it may or may not affect our decision-making ability, to say that truly mature people are in absolute control of their emotions and that they are almost emotionless is... absurd. Ngl I prefer people that, albeit experiencing a turmoil of emotions, they are still able to make sound and rational decisions. One should not hide away their emotions in the name of 'maturity', emotions are one of the thing that made 'living' feels surreal.

“Be suspicious of God who no one doubts.”
Don’t take a break from your thoughts, keep your brain spinning.

[+] SPOILER
*coughpeopletakingreligionstufftooliterallycough*

Know the futility of hesitating several seconds.

Bleach taught us more to never hesitate too long or else we're just opening way for enemy to attack us XDDDDD

So throw your life away in count of 2, if it's like that.
Study it several tens, hundreds, thousands, millions of times.
“Why,” you wonder, inside your head is nothing.
It seems like you don’t know.

Feels like it's a reference to school students studying shettons but ended up with nothing worth living in life.
Ah yes, this suddenly reminded me of this Hong Kong Drama, named 'Wonder Women'. The male MC there taught the female MC's kid to get 88 scores in all of the exam papers, instead of 100 scores. When asked why, he explained that people that get 100 scores are the loneliest. Once one achieved the throne of a king, they will do anything to maintain it, drowning in self-obligation and responsibility, combined with the cruel expectations of others, it is nothing but a stressful place to be. If one get 90 and above, they'd feel 'Awh man few more marks and I could have gotten 100." 88 is perfect, as if they get 87, they'd just need one more mark to hop back, 88 and they are consistent, 89 and that's a proof of improvement.

Without knowing how to dance,
if those who don't understand the worth of the fine arts
are depraved,
they won't be able to see anything.

Hmm... art is a subjective matter. The opposite to it would be 'objective', solid facts? If one can only accept solid facts, and to not venture outside than that, it feels like a lame life lol. Once every 'fact' around them crumbles and gotten destroyed, they'd lose their way, unable to adapt to the new surroundings.

I'll teach you the counter of true, good, and beautiful way to dance.
So lose you mind in the count of two, in your miserable appearance.
“Now, inside of several tens, hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, and hundred millions,
it’s fine to just bury it all.”
How could you say that?

Idk wtf these means but it sounds edgy, imma dig it XDDDDD HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAH

Hey, the fanaticism suffering the world
casts an light even the healthy people's eyes get dazzled.
Tonight, the Devil will declare this to you all:
“Don’t let God mislead you.”

Again *coughcough* weallknowwho

Postby silverberry » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:50 am

Cilencio Cerbera
I'm loving the subtle irony in those lyrics.

If it's 'incorrect', there's no way to do it 'perfectly'. This is substituting one standard for another that's just disguised as some sort of 'rebellion' or defiance.

“Now, inside of several tens, hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, and hundred millions,
How could you say that?
Sounds like a callback to the earlier chorus(?)

I'm wondering how good the translation is, I feel like we're missing something or something's phrased oddly

For some reason, the meaning reminds me of another song:
[+] SPOILER
We will grant you freedom from freedom.
Incredibly tongue-in-cheek. "Freedom from freedom" is just a long-winded way of saying "complete control and obedience".

We will feed the illusion that, by merely mastering some of your base impulses, you can aim for the world – that your failure with common affairs all but guarantees your success with the unattainable and the splendid. Your indisputable competency to direct the fortunes of the many is herewith consecrated.
"""All you need is hard work and grit and you will be successful and rich!!11!!"""

We will give you just enough of a taste of paradise to feed your insatisfaction and turn you into feral dogs. There's a grave at the other end of this metanoia, a grave large enough for your former and future self.
O hound, feral dog, we shall grant you freedom from freedom, relief from frustration.
"A grave large enough for your former and future self" == "I expect you to utterly change your life and then die for me but I'm gonna pretend that's a privilege instead of a tragedy caused by my own selfishness"

Postby Vaughn Creighton » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:38 am

looking at the posts66

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:52 am

Postby Cilencio Cerbera » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:49 pm

silverberry wrote:Cilencio Cerbera
I'm loving the subtle irony in those lyrics.

Yup, same!

silverberry wrote:
If it's 'incorrect', there's no way to do it 'perfectly'. This is substituting one standard for another that's just disguised as some sort of 'rebellion' or defiance.

Ohhh, I like this! Regardless of how flawless and perfect it may seem, it doesn't change the fact that it is incorrect. Even if one may want to think they are trying to break free from the system, it doesn't change the fact that they are still under the control of said system. Hmmm, a rather cold outlook.

silverberry wrote:
How could you say that?
Sounds like a callback to the earlier chorus(?)

Yup @-@ it makes more sense when listening it all together, than breaking it one by one

silverberry wrote:
I'm wondering how good the translation is, I feel like we're missing something or something's phrased oddly

Aint that good of a translation ngl :\ Makes one motivated to learn the language lol XD

silverberry wrote:
We will grant you freedom from freedom.
Incredibly tongue-in-cheek. "Freedom from freedom" is just a long-winded way of saying "complete control and obedience".

Ah yes, rhetorics (?).

silverberry wrote:
We will feed the illusion that, by merely mastering some of your base impulses, you can aim for the world – that your failure with common affairs all but guarantees your success with the unattainable and the splendid. Your indisputable competency to direct the fortunes of the many is herewith consecrated.
"""All you need is hard work and grit and you will be successful and rich!!11!!"""

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLYSHET XDDD WOW Talk about the toxic mentality of society. Work hard and you'll get rich. Such naivety. Even if one were to work till their blood dries, who can guarantee success and happiness at the end of their road?

silverberry wrote:
We will give you just enough of a taste of paradise to feed your insatisfaction and turn you into feral dogs. There's a grave at the other end of this metanoia, a grave large enough for your former and future self.
O hound, feral dog, we shall grant you freedom from freedom, relief from frustration.
"A grave large enough for your former and future self" == "I expect you to utterly change your life and then die for me but I'm gonna pretend that's a privilege instead of a tragedy caused by my own selfishness"

... THIS IS SCREAMING BAD CAPITALISM SO MUCH LMAOOOOOOO AHAHAAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAAH
Still, those in power like to advertise the norms of being a corporal slave, expecting those below them to work for them by using the necessity for money and 'pride' for one's own work as bait.

Postby silverberry » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:42 am

Cilencio Cerbera
The entire album sounds like a critic on authoritarianism as a whole, but holy shit yea it's terrifying how the exaggerated rhetoric applies to current situations @_@

Found some good character descriptions (for side characters) in The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan
Morvrin was skeptical of everything despite her placid, sometimes vaguely absent look, a stout Brown with gray-streaked hair who demanded six pieces of evidence before she would believe fish had scales. And Beonin, a pretty Gray with dark honey hair and blue-gray eyes so big they constantly made her appear slightly startled -- Beonin made Morvrin seem gullible.

Trying to get [Anaiya] to do anything she did not want to was like hitting a sack of feathers. She did not stand up to you, or argue; she just silently refused to move.

A great deal of logic and not much common sense: that was Carlinya.

Postby Polaris » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:57 pm

On my pillow
Can't get me tired
Sharing my fragile truth
That I still hope the door is open
’Cause the window
Opened one time with you and me
Now my forever's falling down
Wondering if you'd want me now

V (BTS) - Sweet Night

Honestly the whole song itself is a beautiful work of art, it's just so soothing to listen to and the lyrics pierce my heart each time

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:52 am

Quest Thread

"Smile at me when you see this flower later..."

Image(click for artist)

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge