The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

What kind of Contests Would You Like Joining?

Moderator: Ryvvi

What kind of Contests Would You Like Joining?

Postby Watery Star » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:49 pm

I've been thinking about having a contest for awhile. I've finally acquired a good bit of rare items to use as prizes.

So my question is: What kind of contests would you enjoy participating in?
Dice Rolling? (Luck/chance)
Arts/crafts (Skill/Creativity) Specifically thought of a coloring contest.
. . .or something else?

I was thinking of holding 3 or so contests, if possible, around Novalia/December into January.
Top picks? Any preferences?

So far:
Dice Rolling/Luck & Chance = Not best option but can be open to all
-
Themed, divided between join dates.
-
Creativity: short stories/poems contest option
Coloring page= Not sure if contest option or just free coloring page

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:52 am

Re: What kind of Contests Would You Like Joining?

Postby Akuyi » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:50 pm

I always enjoy avatar dress-up contests, but since there is no dream avatar creator on this site yet, it would put older members on an advantage in terms of inventory.

I enjoy coloring if I like the picture, but mostly just analog and I don't got a printer. I'm also more into detailed pictures than children coloring books.

Oh, I once participated in something I thought was cute. It's not really a contest, but a "everyone gifts everyone" thing where you would sign up and then draw avatar art of the person that's appointed to you. And they draw art for some other person and so on up to someone who'll draw your avatar. No skill required, just for fun.

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:52 am

Questing with my trusty steed Oculus in the lands of Vee-Ar.

Postby Watery Star » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:39 pm

Yeah that's why I was thinking of having a couple different contests, to be more fair to new users.

I drew a few winter themed scenes with pengwins couple years ago. I'd like to clean those up so it can be digitally colored.

Oh yeah! I loved threads like that, Draw the avatar above you.
I've been drawing traditionally so I'd probably snap a pic of a drawing on my phone if I were to participate in something like that.

Postby npixelz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:04 am

I'm terrible at art, so if we do one with creativity I'd like one where short stories or poems could count as submissions.
I don't like chance based contests, so the dice rolling is not up my alley, but I'll participate if the item(s) is/are something I'm interested in.
I love avatar contests but I do agree that the older members might have a bit of an unfair advantage.

That sounds cute.

Currently seeking event items
Minecraft guild
Owner of many titles
Creator of many forum games
The Fairy Garden is my main place, but you'll also find me in other hangouts
Lastly, much love to everyone, and remember; Positive Mental Attitude!
Keep being awesome
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Postby Cilencio Cerbera » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:22 am

1) Dice roll is kinda eeeeeeh, but it gives players a reason to be competitive, active, and stock up on 3 or 5 feathers post.
2) This is cool. Maybe can provide a variety of themes and players get to choose to participate on some (in case that they are new and lacking of items). Then they get judge based on creativity and color combination.
3) Hmmm good idea no gonna lie. But December is a busy month to start on any art project, as some people will be busy with in real life matters. Unless, it is carried out in a small scale. Ah but if it's colouring, it may limit the amount of people that can participate. As some may only able to color digitally, some traditionally, and some houses does not have a printer for traditional colouring, nor do they have the app or software to to color digitally.

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:52 pm

Postby MissAutumn » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:14 pm

I like the idea of an avi contest. You could have different joining year categories to make it fairer.

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 am

Postby galled » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:10 pm

We have so many creative people here that the contests that highlight/showcase everyone's talents are the most enjoyable as a participant and observer. Perhaps a multiple aspect contest should be tried to level the playing field a bit? Kind of like how quests are done--one part is drawing, one part is avi style, one is word based, etc.. Each part could have a staggered points (1st, 2nd, and 3rd, etc.) and the winners would be based on the point accumulations. I think this could mix it up a bit too and make the contest span a longer period of time and this may help those that drop in less frequently possibly join in.

Server Administrator

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:52 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby npixelz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:06 am

Hmmmm, sounds interesting

Postby Watery Star » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:00 pm

I'm so used to my PC with Paint and knowing that there are free art apps for other devices that I didn't think digitally coloring a picture would pose an issue. My printer is a pain so I fully understand not being able to print it out and traditionally color( along with having to then scan or snap a photo of it).

I don't know. It seemed like a fun idea so maybe it just wont be a contest but just something fun if anyone is interested.

npixelz wrote:I'm terrible at art, so if we do one with creativity I'd like one where short stories or poems could count as submissions.
I don't like chance based contests, so the dice rolling is not up my alley, but I'll participate if the item(s) is/are something I'm interested in.
I love avatar contests but I do agree that the older members might have a bit of an unfair advantage.

That sounds cute.

short stories/poems could work!
It depends on how many are willing to participate. I may have to combine all the creativity contest categories together.

Cilencio Cerbera wrote:1) Dice roll is kinda eeeeeeh, but it gives players a reason to be competitive, active, and stock up on 3 or 5 feathers post.
2) This is cool. Maybe can provide a variety of themes and players get to choose to participate on some (in case that they are new and lacking of items). Then they get judge based on creativity and color combination.
3) Hmmm good idea no gonna lie. But December is a busy month to start on any art project, as some people will be busy with in real life matters. Unless, it is carried out in a small scale. Ah but if it's colouring, it may limit the amount of people that can participate. As some may only able to color digitally, some traditionally, and some houses does not have a printer for traditional colouring, nor do they have the app or software to to color digitally.

Yeah dice rolling isn't as fun as the other options, but it's something easy to make and participate.
2. Yep, that's a good way of holding an avatar contest.
3. I wouldn't want anything to take up a lot of time. Also deadline for submissions can be a month or so. Something that can be discussed and adjusted so those that want to participate can.

MissAutumn wrote:I like the idea of an avi contest. You could have different joining year categories to make it fairer.

Great idea!

galled wrote:We have so many creative people here that the contests that highlight/showcase everyone's talents are the most enjoyable as a participant and observer. Perhaps a multiple aspect contest should be tried to level the playing field a bit? Kind of like how quests are done--one part is drawing, one part is avi style, one is word based, etc.. Each part could have a staggered points (1st, 2nd, and 3rd, etc.) and the winners would be based on the point accumulations. I think this could mix it up a bit too and make the contest span a longer period of time and this may help those that drop in less frequently possibly join in.

I like that idea but think it would be too time consuming for me. Also sounds like something that would benefit from having multiple judges.

Postby galled » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:28 pm

Perhaps polls for winners would work? Only people who enter can vote? Throw out best and worst two scores?

Server Administrator

Postby npixelz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:57 am

If short stories and/or poems work, I am SO down for it

Postby Watery Star » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:31 pm

Galled: Suppose that could work

Hope there's enough participates for a creativity contest.

Postby npixelz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:18 am

Same, because that's the one I'm rooting for.

Postby galled » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:41 pm

I think the more comfortable people feel about the kind of submissions (text, art, etc.) it all encompasses, the more likely you'll get entrants. Watery, if you think you might need help, I volunteer to help admin, keep track, or whatever you need me for. <3

Server Administrator

Postby Watery Star » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:39 pm

Aw thanks. I might not be able to have any contests(irl stuff).
Although even if I can't be when I planned it still doesn't hurt to continue to discuss.

Next

Return to The Lounge