The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

Long Time No See

Moderator: Ryvvi

Long Time No See

Postby Boris » Mon May 24, 2021 6:20 pm

It's been a really long time since I've been here, and to be honest, I forgot about this place. I did think of it a few times here and there, but then I forgot about it again after those brief moments. Well, I finally logged back in today... and see someone who was apart of this community is no longer with us. That's tragic, but I'm not sure of anything else I've missed aside from site events.

I'm not sure when I last visited here, but if a few years ago, I have a new job... pays better and more financially stable. I got a few more fountain pens, and I need to start writing again. I have a switch and love "Splatoon 2". Not sure what else to update with, to be honest.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:24 am

Re: Long Time No See

Postby Cilencio Cerbera » Mon May 24, 2021 7:05 pm

Eyy Welcome back! We'd never met before, I'm from CK and joined probably long after ya went to hiatus.

It's good to hear that you have a stable financial income now and are venturing back to your hobbies.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:24 pm

Postby Gingerale » Mon May 24, 2021 7:40 pm

Welcome back Boris!
You are just in time for the end of the Spring event - click on a flower if you see one (about every 30 mnutes) just be careful of Silverberry's avatar as they have a fake flower in there!

It always feels good to be making more money and being able to save for things you like.

Yes, start writing again! Use those fountain pens! (oh, cards would be nice using fountain pens!).

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue May 25, 2021 9:44 am

Boris is back!!

So happy to hear things are going on a positive note for you.

Vivianne was an inspiration...she had lost her sight, most movement and yet she was active on WIndlyn... a quick wit, encouraging people, joking around, sharing her creativity and beautiful spirit. She had a fierce battle with her neurological disease but once covid shutdowns happened it seemed difficult for her to get the care she needed and she was unable to "bounce" back. Not that she had covid just hospital and in home care became difficult and she was already in a precarious condition. She fought for every moment to be alive and then said her good bye's when she realized her body was not going to hold up. Sometimes I close my eyes and listen to the wildlife sounds and think about how much joy they gave her. Reminds me to enjoy the little things in life.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:24 am

Postby galled » Tue May 25, 2021 11:23 am

Welcome back! So happy to hear things have been going well for you. The whole COVID thing has been rough on everyone so it's nice to hear that things improve dispite it all.

Yes, I'm sad about Vivianne too (her birthday is coming up and I'd thought about her). She really was inspiring and as Lemon said she reminds us of being grateful for everything.

Tell us about your new pens. What's different about them/why you chose them?

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Boris » Tue May 25, 2021 5:33 pm

Okay, there's so much to reply to. First of all, I'm honestly surprised there was a welcome back wagon, but it makes me smile there's still a bit of decent people in the world. I have no words to express how I feel... I'm lacking in that department, but I am touched.

Now, to address the people of the thread.

To Cilencio: Thank you. I have never met you before, so you're new to me. How are you enjoying the site? Any tips for someone who's been away for a while?

To Gingerale: I always think of pubs when I see or hear your username. Saving money is a bit hard for me, I admit... recently, my mom is planning to visit an old aunt of hers, so she'll have to be careful when she travels since it's out of state. Not too sure of the aunt... I don't remember what was up with her, but I think the visit would be nice before it's too late.

I did have a penpal, but we stopped writing... though I do wanna try getting these "cards" of which you speak. I also have some writing prompts as well. One question stumped me, so I haven't written in it for a couple of months.

To Lemon Cheesecake: I have one slice of cheesecake left. Also, thanks.
Hearing Vivianne was an inspiration sort of makes it even sadder... I did visit Windlyn once, but after I heard she died, I promptly logged out for being too sad since I was already sad at the time... but you have my condolences. She sounds like a fighter... like one of those people who are fierce when needed but are gentle giants most of the time.

To Galled: Thank you, and yes, I am concerned for a couple of friends since I have not heard from them in a while. I'm honestly worried they have passed due to covid. I hope they're okay... it seems that they suffer one disaster after another, and I wish I could just go over there and say "stop it" so they can at last experience happiness more often than well... not.

Something struck a chord with me when I heard she passed. I don't recall having met her, but at the same time, it makes me sad she's gone. I'm sure she's busy watering all the plants and making it rain where she is.

Well, I have several. A few were bought by me, and the others were gifts.

My first fountain pen is an old one. It was made by the JML company when they were still around, and it was a part of the JML Classic collection. It was a gift. While I can no longer use it, I learned I enjoy writing with fountain pens more than any other writing utensil.

My second fountain pen is Lamy Safari. It's charcoal in colour and has an extra fine nib. I bought it myself and is one of the members of Cult of Boris. I named it Battra after my favourite monster, Battra, from the Godzilla and Mothra movies. I liked the little ink window the barrel has to see how much ink you have left inside, and I have a convertor inside off it so I can use ink from vials/bottles. It has a clip on the cap that reminds me of paperclips.

My second fountain pen is the Nemosine Singularity fountain pen. It's the second member of Cult of Boris, and I named it Blue Streak due to its body being blue. It was a nice shade of blue and I purchased one for a friend, but I ended up sending it to another friend since the first friend didn't really want it when he and I talked about it... didn't tell me so until after I had received it. His was green, though. Nemosine Singularities are no longer being stocked, so if my pen breaks, it's game over for it. Its nib is Extra Fine.

Next is Digi, the third member of Cult of Boris. It's fat and orange with a medium nib. They were no longer going to be stocked, and so, I wanted it. I'm much more fawn of fine nibs, but due to this pen being no longer going to be stocked, I wanted it. I lacked the funds for it, so a friend bought it for me as a birthday present. What a surprise! Well, I did ask him, but he actually spent more than I thought he would. Both this pen and the singularity pens have convertors in them. The pen is a Jinhao 159.

I have a few cross fountain pens. All having medium nibs; however, I only named one, and it's the last member of Cult of Boris. It's red and it reminds me of lipstick, and it's named Randal. I do not know what models the cross pens are. Randal and another pen it came with were christmas presents.

The other cross pens are fat... and the JML fountain pen is called "JMal".

My love for fountain pens have caused me to decide I want to make it a law where doctors, lawyers, and scientists must use a fountain pen, but that would be too much. At least my characters can use fountain pens.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue May 25, 2021 5:42 pm

I love how your pens have names and characteristics to them! Your fountain pens come alive when you talk about them! And I love how meaningful they are to you! I never thought about what to do if they are no longer stocked...guess that's a nice thing about the internet and a nice thing about people doing estate or yard sales, if you know what you are looking for.

One of our new member's seems to an ink collector, maybe you would have some information a good types to use.

Sounds like you have some nice friends and getting you gifts you like!

Postby Boris » Tue May 25, 2021 5:45 pm

Thanks! Diji is the only pen a friend bought me. The other gifts were from parents. Anywho, I'm not too familiar with ink, and it depends on what purpose the ink would serve. If you use them with fountain pens, stay away from india ink. The only way to clean that ink is with alcohol, an that destroys pens. Which new member are we talking about?

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri May 28, 2021 7:36 pm

Silverberry I believe is the one who is experimenting with different ink.

I have no clue about it all but I do admire the beauty of letters written with a fountain pen...only problem is they run when wet I believe.

Postby Boris » Sat May 29, 2021 6:45 am

If they're water resistant, i don't think they're runny. You just gotta see the details before you use the ink... I learned that the hard way and a letter lost everything I wrote on it because of rain. I'll see about the user you mentioned. ^_^

Postby Gingerale » Sat May 29, 2021 10:08 am

Maybe you know the best type of paper that works with ink. There was a conversation about it in another thread.

Do you do calligraphy style writing with your fountain pens? To me that is a real talent.

Postby Boris » Sat May 29, 2021 11:55 am

Gingerale wrote:Maybe you know the best type of paper that works with ink. There was a conversation about it in another thread.

Do you do calligraphy style writing with your fountain pens? To me that is a real talent.

I heard Rhodia is great with most fountain pens and inks; however, some pens and inks will still feather. I have one, and I need to finish the story I started, or start over. Stone paper may or may not be good for fountain pens as well, but I have to do research. Glossy paper... obviously not, but I think you can use FP on trees when measuring.

EDIT: I write in cursive. It's not fancy enough to be called caligraphy.

Postby Cilencio Cerbera » Sat May 29, 2021 1:08 pm

HAHA, this site is user-friendly I'd say. It's easy to get familiarize with things. Plus, the way the forums are made, I'd say it's easy to the eyes. Dappervolk and Flightrising have forums too, but Windlyn's forum arrangement is much easier to keep track of.

Hmm, ya might be more of an expert than me when it comes to this. Oh but if there's one thing I wished I knew early on, it would be to grind for as much feathers as possible. Because we had one event that required us to purchase shop items, having a large amount of feathers made the job easier.

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:24 pm

Postby Boris » Sat May 29, 2021 2:35 pm

Cilencio Cerbera wrote:HAHA, this site is user-friendly I'd say. It's easy to get familiarize with things. Plus, the way the forums are made, I'd say it's easy to the eyes. Dappervolk and Flightrising have forums too, but Windlyn's forum arrangement is much easier to keep track of.

Hmm, ya might be more of an expert than me when it comes to this. Oh but if there's one thing I wished I knew early on, it would be to grind for as much feathers as possible. Because we had one event that required us to purchase shop items, having a large amount of feathers made the job easier.

This place is user friendly, and I've been gone for a while, so I haven't participated in events... just the summer one a couplr or so years back. I thought Dappervolk was gone.

Postby Gingerale » Sat May 29, 2021 3:56 pm

I hope your handwriting is better then mine, Boris! My Sister has lovely writing but alas I never have.

Next

Return to The Lounge