The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

Long Time No See

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Long Time No See

Postby Boris » Sat May 29, 2021 7:05 pm

Gingerale wrote:I hope your handwriting is better then mine, Boris! My Sister has lovely writing but alas I never have.

You're handwriting would look better if you used fountain pens. That's what I've noticed when I look back to when I used other pens and when I used fountain pens.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:48 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun May 30, 2021 11:04 am

I think fountain pen nibs just bring an artistic look to writing and because of the shape of the nib I would think that they make you have to write more carefully.

Besides collecting fountain pens what else do you like to do?

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:48 am

Postby galled » Sun May 30, 2021 3:35 pm

I think nibs produce a 3D effect which makes wiring more interesting visually.

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby silverberry » Mon May 31, 2021 8:15 am

Hello and welcome back!

I love that the fountain pens are named! The Lamy one sounds very reliable.
I've named some things I knew I would use frequently for a long time, like laptops and phones. Didn't occur to me to name my pen too!
Only started writing with one early this year - it's a TWSBI Eco, with a fine nib. It's a demonstrator pen, so the body is clear and lets me see how much ink is in it. The cap and the twisty knob is black. I do have other ones, but they're the really cheap, no-brand ones that came in a pack of three.

Pens get expensive fast so I've been holding back on pen purchases. That said, I couldn't get enough of inks. I love that it's possible to find (or mix together) the specific shade I wanted.
Also on inks - anything not labeled 'fountain pen ink' is bad for the pen. That includes walnut ink, India ink, and calligraphy inks. I heard water-resistant FP ink can stain demonstrator pens and converters, but haven't had a chance to see for myself yet!

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:48 am

https://windlynonline.com/cgi-bin/forums/event/eggHunt/partyCrasher2.png

They/them
Hangout Thread | CK Art Album

Images used belongs to Windlyn and their artists - slightly edited to prevent confusion for current event.

Postby Boris » Mon May 31, 2021 12:23 pm

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:I think fountain pen nibs just bring an artistic look to writing and because of the shape of the nib I would think that they make you have to write more carefully.

Besides collecting fountain pens what else do you like to do?

You do have to write more carefully because you can bend the nibs if you press down to hard. Some nibs are flexible, so you can get some line thickness as you press down while making down strokes, but you still can't press too hard.

galled wrote:I think nibs produce a 3D effect which makes wiring more interesting visually.
I never noticed that. Then again, I can't see things that are claimed to be 3-d, like 3-d movies where you have to use 3-d glasses.

silverberry wrote:Hello and welcome back!

I love that the fountain pens are named! The Lamy one sounds very reliable.
I've named some things I knew I would use frequently for a long time, like laptops and phones. Didn't occur to me to name my pen too!
Only started writing with one early this year - it's a TWSBI Eco, with a fine nib. It's a demonstrator pen, so the body is clear and lets me see how much ink is in it. The cap and the twisty knob is black. I do have other ones, but they're the really cheap, no-brand ones that came in a pack of three.

Pens get expensive fast so I've been holding back on pen purchases. That said, I couldn't get enough of inks. I love that it's possible to find (or mix together) the specific shade I wanted.
Also on inks - anything not labeled 'fountain pen ink' is bad for the pen. That includes walnut ink, India ink, and calligraphy inks. I heard water-resistant FP ink can stain demonstrator pens and converters, but haven't had a chance to see for myself yet!
Only the pens in Cult of Boris have names. The other ones do not, and I need to clean out Battra. I do not know if it became jumpy because of my sister, or because I dropped it on the nib onto the carpet. I remember it writing well when I first used it, but then it became jumpy after my sister used it. I need to get those sheets you slide through the nib thing to try and get out any dust/threads/carpet that may have gotten stuck.

How is your TWSBI writing? I haven't heard of ink staining convertors, aside from India ink, but I'm not surprised.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon May 31, 2021 1:15 pm

Isn't pressing too hard or dropping a pen what causes the nib to be damaged? Seems to me I recall hearing something long time ago about care of fountain pens... your Sister needs her own pens!

Postby Boris » Mon May 31, 2021 3:32 pm

Yes, you're absolutely right about pressing too hard or dropping them being causes of nibs being damaged. I have inspected my nib and saw nothing wrong with it; although, I'm not expert, so any subtle signs of a damaged nib are too subtle for me to notice.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon May 31, 2021 4:23 pm

so long as it is still usable!

Also: Watch out for Silverberry's flower decoy!

Postby Boris » Mon May 31, 2021 5:12 pm

Sure, it writes, but it skips, so I'll have to use the sheets to clean it, but I'd have to be careful. Regular cleaning and pen flushing didn't help stop the skipping.

Postby Cilencio Cerbera » Mon May 31, 2021 6:16 pm

Dappervolk underwent some huge site adjustment and upgrade, and it's back up now with all sort of new stuff to explore.

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:48 am

Postby Watery Star » Mon May 31, 2021 9:58 pm

Welcome back!
I remember you being one of the active members from years back. Your name and avatar has stuck with me ^^
Good to hear that you have a better paying job. I say go for it with getting back into writing.

So just a quick message from me as I need go for the night. Hope to see you around.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:48 am

Postby Boris » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:58 am

Cilencio Cerbera wrote:Dappervolk underwent some huge site adjustment and upgrade, and it's back up now with all sort of new stuff to explore.

Huh, maybe I should take a gander.

Watery Star wrote:Welcome back!
I remember you being one of the active members from years back. Your name and avatar has stuck with me ^^
Good to hear that you have a better paying job. I say go for it with getting back into writing.

So just a quick message from me as I need go for the night. Hope to see you around.
You remember me? I didn't think I'd make that kind of impression on anyone. Thanks! Good night!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:31 pm

I was perusing some quaint shops with a friend yesterday & I came across what looked like a super old set of nibs and pens. I didn't have my phone with me so couldn't take a picture for you to see. But the cost was like $182 !! And I doubt the ink would've been still good.

Do you go to second hand or antique stores to look for older fountain pens or nibs? In a high end area there might be some.

Postby Watery Star » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:18 pm

Watery Star wrote:Welcome back!

Boris wrote:You remember me? I didn't think I'd make that kind of impression on anyone. Thanks! Good night!

Of course! There weren't many active users around that time. I remember you being someone that would create and add to discussions. :smile:

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:48 am

Postby Vaughn Creighton » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:09 am

welcome back! i'm new last year^^ lol.. been here around september ..gonna be 1 yr soon

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge