The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

Is this weird?

Moderator: Ryvvi

Is this weird?

Postby Dylan » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:32 pm

So, for anyone wondering, I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) and I hope this isn’t something weird, but I am kind of overly friendly to girls for some reason. I have two girls who are online friends, one I met online and the other who I met back in 2nd grade but recently reunited. For some reason, I always respond to their questions with “Yes ma’am”, like I know it’s respectful and stuff but is that weird? I’m also that guy who holds the door for girls as well so… I hope this question makes sense, just want some answers. Sorry if it’s not my usual post of compliments or of that nature Thanks.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 6:26 am

Re: Is this weird?

Postby galled » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:46 pm

It's kinda weird (as in unusual) in the sense ma'am is usually reserved for elders and those trhat outrank us. While it is understood to be respectful (always a good thing!), generally young women and girls don't like their age to be implied to be older than than they are. ;)

Being helpful, respectful, and courteous is never wrong!

Server Administrator

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 4:26 am

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Dylan » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:07 pm

galled wrote:It's kinda weird (as in unusual) in the sense ma'am is usually reserved for elders and those trhat outrank us. While it is understood to be respectful (always a good thing!), generally young women and girls don't like their age to be implied to be older than than they are. ;)

Being helpful, respectful, and courteous is never wrong!

Oh, I’m sorry. I’m from the South, so I grew up to always be nice to girls. I just say ma’am to my online girl friends and they like it. I understand though that I shouldn’t really use it for just every girl. My apologies.

Postby galled » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:17 pm

No apologies necessary! From what you describe, I wouldn't take that as being overly friendly.

Oh, from the south--then the ma'am thing is understandable/to be expected (even if it is a little cliche'). I think it's charming actually.

Server Administrator

Postby Dylan » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:35 pm

galled wrote:No apologies necessary! From what you describe, I wouldn't take that as being overly friendly.

Oh, from the south--then the ma'am thing is understandable/to be expected (even if it is a little cliche'). I think it's charming actually.

I have a ton of respect for any woman honestly, they’re the same gender who gave birth and are even sometimes stronger than men. Obviously, I don’t have respect for women who are like serial killers or something pertaining to that, but I hope that makes sense.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:40 pm

It never hurts to be polite!

I agree with Galled, "Ma'am" is more reserved for the southern States culture or those raised in military families & not so common in other States so I think when someone says it around here then it is noticeable. Doesn't mean its wrong or weird ... just very polite.

Postby Dylan » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:49 pm

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:It never hurts to be polite!

I agree with Galled, "Ma'am" is more reserved for the southern States culture or those raised in military families & not so common in other States so I think when someone says it around here then it is noticeable. Doesn't mean its wrong or weird ... just very polite.

Thank you! I just don’t want anyone to think I’m weird for saying ma’am if I ever say it on here accidentally, I do hope there are a few other southerners on here.

Postby Gingerale » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:45 am

I don't think that would be an issue, & its just part of who you are - like Canadian's that say "eh" :wink:

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 3:26 am

Postby (-o-) » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:22 am

Things like holding doors open and using honorifics are considered courteous. I'd just extend that same courtesy to everyone, not just women. :grin_wink:

One of my friends who had moved to the East coast got some backlash for calling people "ma'am" and was told use "miss" instead since it sounds younger.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 3:26 am

ImageImage
ty Mouse

Return to The Lounge