The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

Superstitions

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Superstitions

Postby Hocus Pocus » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:02 am

I guess I'm pretty superstitious too, but I really don't notice it until someone else notices I'm doing something. My family in general is superstitious and combined with my ocd I do all sorts of weird rituals. Like if I have to go back inside when I just left I have to knock on wood. If a cat crosses the road in front of me while driving I have to mark an x on the windshield or bad luck will follow. I also touch things in patterns of three, but that's due to ocd. :geek:

Local time: Sat May 04, 2024 7:15 am

Postby BinaryDelusions » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:03 pm

Lemme think... If you dream of someone dying, it means there's going to be a birth in the family. If you dream of someone having a baby, then someone is about to die. Maybe it something dealing with incarnation or something where when one dies another is born or something I dunno.

If a bird flies straight into a window it means death is approaching someone nearby. (a bird actually slammed into a window back in middle school the next school day turns out one of the students died o.o)

If more boys are born than girls then war will start soon. Not sure if it means in a year or what though.

i have a tendency to do the throwing salt over your shoulder thing now. I don't know when it started but now I do it. ouo;

Postby testing » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:11 pm

In china, they believe that the number 4 is unlucky so most buildings do not have a level 4 or room number 4. However, the number 8 is really lucky!
Sad, because I am born on the 4th OAO

Local time: Sat May 04, 2024 4:15 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:50 pm

in china even numbers are usually lucky but the numbers mainly have to do with the similarity with the pronunciation of the words. Their word for the number 4 sounds like death and that makes it unlucky. However, if you combine another number with it then it may not be unlucky. 9 is usually not used as that is the number reserved for royalty. That is the gist, you can look it up to find out the details.

Local time: Sat May 04, 2024 5:15 am

Postby Altysay » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:04 am

Twin banana's what? xD

I'm looking to trade some of my extra winter items (sweaters and stuff) for the hair items like what I have on. I need them all except Pink and Black. PM me if you're interested.

Deviantart Tumblr
Tumblr is partly NSFW(18+)

Postby Dragonball » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:29 am

Wow.
I've never heard of most of these.

=O
Some I've heard of are black cats crossing your path are bad luck.

Stepping on a crack will break your mother's back.

Postby ciel » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:13 pm

there are a lot of these that i haven't heard of before!

i have a black cat and my favorite number is 4 LOL
but i was also born on the 7th, and i've always heard that it was a lucky number?

superstitions i've heard of have already been mentioned; the number 13, black cats, ladders, knock on wood, salt over shoulder, don't step on cracks

i think i'm more superstitious in the sense of my actions and thoughts affecting things. for example, i don't like cheating or lying, even if it doesn't negatively affect anyone, because i'm afraid it will come back to me somehow.

Postby Zombie Bunny » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:16 pm

Because of the number 13, they never have it as a floor in hotels, because no one would want to stay there. But I had learned it was the lucky number, because of one of my teachers, it wasn't until later that heard it was bad luck, haha.

Image Image Image

Postby ciel » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:23 pm

Zombiebunny wrote:Because of the number 13, they never have it as a floor in hotels, because no one would want to stay there. But I had learned it was the lucky number, because of one of my teachers, it wasn't until later that heard it was bad luck, haha.

haha that's funny

i remember going to disney land and noticing their hotel didn't have a 13th floor and that the dumbo ride didn't have a 13th elephant

Postby BinaryDelusions » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:37 pm

...wow really? people actually leave out the number 13 in businesses and stuff? that's crazy!

13 is actually my lucky number. it's followed me since the day i was born //i just missed being born on friday the 13, my first school observation was a class with 13 students and i would always leave the school around 1PM/13:00 hours military time.

If i play a game the number pops up somewhere, be it the number of lives i have as i'm finishing playing for a bit, ect.

i actually won a raffle in elementary school because i chose the number 13. lD

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:29 pm

superstitions are actually crazy manifestations of people's fears. Although in some cultures I would think they may have started to prevent people from harm.

Postby Zombie Bunny » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:33 pm

The reason you're supposed to throw salt over your shoulder, is because it's said to keep ghosts at bay.

Postby Maro » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:00 pm

ghosts or the devil or demons or vvhathaveyou ,depends on the people tellingyou it

Local time: Sat May 04, 2024 9:45 am

Art by - ciel

Postby Mousy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:10 pm

oh oh oh! I LOVE superstitions!

I'm sorry if some of these have been said.

~Never laugh when a hearse goes by or you will be the next to die.
~Holding your breath over a bridge.
~Holding your feet up off the floor and touching a screw as you cross a railroad track.
~Brick dust in your doorway so that no one that wants to cause you harm can cross over into your doorway.
~Never use a ouija board at 3 a.m.

Local time: Sat May 04, 2024 6:15 am

If you are talking to me, please ping or quote me. I get distracted and lose track of what I'm doing easily. :wink:

Previous

Return to The Lounge