The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

tell us about the country you live in...

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: tell us about the country you live in...

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:29 am

a hoodie is a sweatshirt with a hood...a coat is heavy or dressy and so is a jumper like a light weight sweater then?

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:15 am

Postby murmurlade » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:34 am

but jumpers are usually pull-ons, whereas sweaters are buttoned..?

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:15 pm

----------------------------------------
taugeeee @ twitter / deviantart / gaia
currently: questing bubble wings

always semi-hiatus due to work
please ping me if you want a reply.
----------------------------------------

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:36 am

oh! That makes sense then. Except our sweaters are pull ons and our button up sweaters are cardigan's :wink:

Postby murmurlade » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:57 am

*head spinning from confusion* ahahhahahah

Postby Gingerale » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:31 pm

I just like something to keep me warm when it gets chilly - like today, I stuck on a zippered sweatshirt to stay warm.

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Postby Diana » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:37 pm

I always assumed a jumper was either a skirt or a heavy knit pullover sweater.

I made apple crisp to keep myself warm today B)

Site Admin

Postby Gingerale » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:39 pm

Yum! I Iove apple crisp warm from the oven, add some vanilla ice cream to top it off!

I made some instant miso soup to warm me up.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:24 pm

well, I certainly have learned a few things about different countries and cultures this week.

Postby NerdyAliCat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:37 pm

Who would have known that something as simple and a jumper could be so different in another part of the world...

ImageImage
Thanks Yorunaka! - Thanks Valentine Strange!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:50 pm

For one, we really don't use the term jumper for clothes!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:33 am

This is one for the Aussie's on here...Platypus milk "could help combat one of humanity's looming problems, antibiotic resistance, scientists say."

[+] SPOILER
"Platypus milk could help combat one of humanity's looming problems, antibiotic resistance, scientists say.
The weird creatures have a duck's beak, venomous feet and are one of only two mammals able to lay eggs.

Australian scientists discovered in 2010 that the semi-aquatic animal's milk contains a potent protein able to fight superbugs.
They've now identified why, and say it could lead to the creation of a new type of antibiotic.

Platypus are monotremes - a tiny group of mammals able to both lay eggs and produce milk.
They don't have teats, instead they concentrate milk to their belly and feed their young by sweating it out.
It's believed mammals evolved teats or nipples because it was a sterile way to deliver milk to their young.

But platypus milk being exposed to the outside leaves their babies in danger of being in contact with harmful bacteria.
The unique antibacterial protein their milk contains might be the animal's defence against that, Deakin University's Dr Julie Sharp believes.

Komodo dragon blood is another weird source being checked for potential new antibiotics.

Postby Polaris » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:47 am

Did someone say "jumper" oh my gosh!!
Boi, let me tell you guys. When I first made friends in the UK, they kept saying "jumper" and I thought they were talking about those short dresses or long tops that hit just above the knee (aka a pinafore), but boy was I wrong! Took me a while to figure out they meant "sweater" when they say "jumper."

Now I just poke fun at my friends whenever they call it a jumper and vice versa! Also, the whole "stiff upper lip" thing about the Brits is all too real, except it's a lot more common in the South than it is in the North; the Northerners are too nice and friendly. ALSO! The divide between North and South in England is kinda similar to the US's own North vs South, but reversed:

Northern England - Agricultural, poorer, but friendlier
Southern England - Industrial, much more advanced, wealthier, but dislike small talk & any or all communication in the tube or on the streets of London, etc.

Northern US - industrial, much more liberal compared to the South, busy streets & often no time for chit chat (from my experience)
Southern US - much more relaxed compared to the North, but they're pretty technologically advanced too, somewhat friendlier (as my friend who's in college in the south says)

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:15 am

Quest Thread

"Smile at me when you see this flower later..."

Image(click for artist)

Postby Gingerale » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:03 pm

How is school in the UK going? Isn't that where you are, Polaris? What made you decide to go there?

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:06 pm

It's raining where i am...we're in the first days of Spring and it is definitely making the hills turn green!

Postby Polaris » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Ahh, school is goin' alright, still adjusting to their grading system though haha (70+% = A where as in the US 93+%=A)

It was a much cheaper option for my parents (surprisingly!) compared to the offers I got from US colleges; A scholarship/sponsorship-thing I got for abroad studies helps out a lot! Plus they have some really nice biomed programs here (the uni I'm at is leading the world in some genetic experiments and research, which is super cool!!)

Deffo not gonna stay here though. As polite as the Brits are, I just miss America too much (also some aspects of their culture, style, and social stuff I'm just not into). Only two more years though (since undergrad degrees here are only 3 years instead of the usual 4 - harder but faster!)

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:15 am

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge