The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

experiences in learning a different language

Moderator: Ryvvi

experiences in learning a different language

Postby Oby » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:42 am

I mean learning different languages is hard? Like learning English was pretty hard for me
because idioms are weird, and English Grammar is ridiculous. Actually I'm still not confident
when it comes to typing/writing/speaking in English.

Then when it comes to 3 or more it gets really stupid, because there are certain words or
phrases that have no direct translation, or you just can't remember how to say it that you
end up mixing languages.

So like I just want to know your experiences in learning other languages, and what made
you study it? Was it because of where you lived, was it mandatory for school, was it because
of your blood line, or did you just do it for fun? even though learning languages is not fun at all

And for those who can only speak one language, are you interested in learning other languages?

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 4:01 am

ObyArt Shop - ObyArt Dump
FC: 3840 - 8096 - 6028
send me your fc if you want to add n stuff :>

Re: experiences in learning a different language

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:56 am

I'm learning Spanish because there are plenty of spanish speaking people in America.

I just don't feel like my current Spanish teacher is teaching very effectively, especially when she asks us questions in Spanish and nobody knows what she's saying because we don't speak Spanish. She makes it more difficult than needs be.

If I could find a more effective way at learning Spanish, I would do that instead.

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 3:01 pm

Postby Oby » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:22 am

Well that is a problem, though I never really encountered a problem like that yet.
I don't really know Spanish, because I don't live in the west.

Though for ways to learn it I guess try building up some vocab,
so you could at least understand a bit?
Then try learning grammar structures?

Or at least that's what I did when I got forced to study Filipino/Tagalog.

Postby Mika » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:26 pm

The first language I was interested in learning was Latin. Which is actually a base language for quite a few languages. I picked up on Latin easily. So when I dropped Latin due to the teacher not knowing how to teach once I got a new teacher, I tried French. French was a direct language from Latin so it was easy to pick up... I can't say I've really had any issues with learning languages so far. Latin would be a great place to start, especially for Spanish as well. Since Spanish is also directly tied to Latin.

"Your name, frozen on my lips
Icecicles pierce my heart
Now I wait, to send out my wish
To find you where ever you are"

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:28 pm

English is really hard when you don't grow up
Our Spanish teacher was not meant to be a teacher
ASL I need to brush up on

hangout|art shop|card shop
BUTT CAPES
I need mah butt capes!
ImageImage

Postby Oby » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:51 am

Mika
How many languages do you know rn then? o:

@Kitalpha Heart
ASL?

Postby Mika » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:35 am

Well I didn't get far with the languages.... Either the new teachers couldn't teach them right or my mom cleaned the teachers house by coincidence and I got stared down for some reason... So every time I got to the second semester of the classes I ended up finding another class to go to... And I refuse to learn Spanish so there was no other languages classes I could take after Latin and French. But as long as I have a good teacher to teach me, I can pick up on languages easily. Just taking Latin first really helped me excel in French since a lot of the French words were similar to the Latin vocabulary.

Postby Oby » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:01 am

I kind of think that's a given unless if you have a talking partner for it. Or if you're majoring it or something.

Also why not(with Spanish I mean)?

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:10 am

Oby
American Sign Language

Postby Oby » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:33 am

Oh
Non-verbal languages seem tricky.

Postby Mika » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:00 am

Well I mean, to some people, the Latin teacher at my high school might've seemed like she was great, but she pronounced everything wrong... So they couldn't understand why I dropped the class... So to me she wasn't a good teacher. For me things very one what can make a good teacher...

But I just don't want to learn Spanish. I just absolutely refuse to. And heaven forbid, if I knew Spanish I might end up punching some Hispanic in the face for talking crap lol. You can already tell when a lot of Hispanics are talking crap around here, but you can usually just ignore it since you don't know what they are saying, but if I were to know what they were saying then it might not be so good...

Postby Oby » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:24 pm

Oh I guess pronunciation is pretty important, though uh, actually I couldn't answer that,
bc in some languages pronunciation is everything.

As for the punching someone for talking like that, uh, I think everybody does that even
if it's in English? Like isn't there are a reason why they talk like that though?

Postby ShiroGEM » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:23 am

Hmm, I know how to speak English (obviously) and i'm mediocre at Chinese. I know and still learn Chinese because my school has it as a second language and I'm from Hong Kong and occasionally I visit Taiwan to see my relatives. The other language I'm taking now is French, but it's the third language course at my school and I plan to drop it next year anyways. I'm really interested in learning Japanese so I can understand and talk to manga/anime artists who live there though. I also really like the language itself and how nicely it flows and all that.

Also, I thought that no one speaks Latin. o_o

chris | they/them | hong kong
Hangout • Wishlist • AvisSketchbook • Items I've Made
Art Shop!

pixel by Mouse

Postby Oby » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:58 am

Chinese is terrible. It is my first lang and all I know is how to say stuff that happens everyday. o<-<
Like gonna sleep, gonna eat, going to draw. Like grammar for it is easy,
but words are hard one stroke missing and it means nothing or something else. o<-<

Also Japanese is cool and all but wouldn't you confuse the kanji there with Chinese
pronunciation a lot if you do? :'D

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:28 am

Oh man, I saw on tumblr something along the lines of
"Oh, forgot the kanji? Don't worry, find the kana!-Japan
"Oh, you forgot how to spell one word? Illiterate f--k!-China"
So when it comes to writing theoretically Japanese is a bit easier

Next

Return to The Lounge