The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

experiences in learning a different language

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: experiences in learning a different language

Postby Oby » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:59 am

sure, but I mean
if you already know chinese and all then it'd be a problem,
since the pronunciation is totally different.
Then there are a few terms that use different words although most of the kanji more or less
mean the same compared to their Chinese counter part.
Like how in songs I see 明日 which is tomorrow, but is weird to me being it's 明天 for Chinese.

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 11:03 pm

ObyArt Shop - ObyArt Dump
FC: 3840 - 8096 - 6028
send me your fc if you want to add n stuff :>

Postby OongaChaka » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:42 pm

My native language is Spanish, so I learned English at school.
Then at University I started a class on Portuguese which was freaking awesome.
But hard because Portuguese has some words very similar to Spanish.

Anyways I ended dropping out... social anxiety and participating daily on that class made me nuts. :'[
I still wish to learn Portuguese some day.

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 7:03 am

Postby Oby » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:15 am

Self learning is still an option tho.

Like practicing with books and shows and stuff if interacting with many people is hard
(which I understand bc I also find it hard unless if it's just one on one and someone
I'm already comfortable with. ;v;)

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 11:03 pm

Postby Juusan » Sat May 09, 2015 6:22 pm

My experiences in learning different language are meak. I've noticed it takes a lot of self-interest and discipline to come to understanding one and actually maintaining your knowledge of the grammar and vocabulary. It's not just like Math, where you retaining it from lectures. You have to actually put use to the language and put in your own time to practice it.

I have attempted learning Spanish, (With a teacher) Japanese, Korean, and German. (Self-teaching myself)
I have given up on Japanese, Korean, and kept little knowledge on German, while being basic on Spanish.

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 10:03 am

Postby Hero » Sun May 10, 2015 4:47 am

I know Spanish and English fluently, I was taught both when I was really young, easier to learn languages when you're a kid.

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 11:03 am

:grin_wink: Hi, the name is Hero!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun May 10, 2015 10:18 am

i envy those who can speak more than one language. I have tried to learn french and spanish and american sign language but not very successfully. At one point I could read it ok and speak the basics but translating the spoken to me is like gibberish to my ears.I'd have to have them write what they were saying or use a dictionary, even asl. Sadly, all is lost when it hits my ears. Definitely better to learn it when you are young and to be immersed in it if you can.

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 8:03 am

Postby Spyridon » Wed May 13, 2015 10:00 am

I speak Russian fluently, but I read slowly and write with mistakes. My family speaks Russian with me; other than that, I don't really practice it. I'm teaching myself German, which is much easier to English speakers than Russian. I have a pen pal in Austria who helps me with my German.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed May 13, 2015 7:19 pm

My friend is Czechoslovakian and speaks english so well now that she makes money translating for court cases etc. she gets paid quite well for it and most of her work is done on line so she can do it from home.

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 8:03 am

Postby Spyridon » Thu May 14, 2015 3:02 am

For a short time I went to a school that taught Yiddish. The only thing I took out of the class was "shilshul tadir" - or "frequent diarrhea". The teacher offered a medal to anyone who could write down 20 Yiddish words and their meanings. I copied from a dictionary under the desk and now I have a Yiddish medal.

Postby Candi Formaldehyde » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:48 am

I began studying Lithuanian a few weeks ago. I love the sound, and Lithuania is a beautiful place to visit. I found native speakers online and we have an email/Skype correspondence. I help them with English and in return I learn Lithuanian. The grammar is difficult.

Postby Hocus Pocus » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:46 pm

I took three courses of Spanish in community college and it just never stuck with me despite my best efforts. Whenever I attempt to talk to my Spanish penpals I feel like I always end up confusing them and maybe even offending them inadvertently.

Postby Cotton Cloudy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:02 pm

I started studying Finnish about three years ago. I would say I'm at a pretty decent level with it but I still struggle with grammar. I can recognize a whole lot of words though.

I'm starting up on Mandarin now because I have to, I'm taking a trip to Yunnan in October.

I haven't started learning how to write yet, but right now I'm just learning some vocab and getting used to the sound/tone of the language

Previous

Return to The Lounge