The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

Pipeline

Moderator: Ryvvi

Pipeline

Postby Diana » Fri May 29, 2015 1:22 pm

Heyo!

I was recently showed this text-adventure game, http://ariannabenson.com/pipeline/, and am very curious about what other people think.

The only background I know about it is that it was designed to try to convey what it is like to be a female in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math)major in college, typically male dominated fields.

Please give it a go!

It is very, very quick, and I think it is a good experience.

Summary of my thoughts (In a spoiler, so you can play without me influencing you):
[+] SPOILER
At first, I wasn't too into the game. I thought it was a cute idea, and wasn't expecting anything much from it. The questions at first were pretty basic, I was all "oh yeah, I got this. I'm going to win! Too E-Z 4 me!". The creators snuck in some nice statistics and other facts about women in STEM fields, so kudos to them for trying to educate while entertaining.

A few questions in though, I noticed the confidence bar at the bottom. When I did, the bar was pretty high, maybe 75% full? As the scenarios in the game got more specific, my choices made it go down very quickly. I played through one track (the computer science one), and it really resonated with me to see the bar change. As a girl in software engineering, I was relieved to see that experiences that I have had weren't really all that unique to me (trouble with people saying I'm in my major for dating purposes, or that girls aren't good at math and etc, for example). The game helped me feel a bit less isolated. The swift dropping of the confidence bar also surprised me; it was strange to see emotions I had before laid out in such a way.

I think the game did an excellent job at what it was trying to do. However, I have a hunch this is because I have a lot of empathy for the situation. I linked it to a few of my male friends and the feedback I got was that the choices were kind of dumb. Some of them, I agree, were. I would have chosen a different path if it was my real life (like how to reply to people who whine about having had experience in a subject before), but overall I think this is a great walkthrough of how it is to be a she.

Either way, please give it a go! The users on Windlyn come from very diverse backgrounds, so I am very interested in knowing what your thoughts on it are, and if they differ from mine.

Site Admin

Local time: Thu May 30, 2024 4:09 am

Re: Pipeline

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:56 pm

It was interesting. I'm thinking about even going into computer science (you can probably guess which one I chose, lol) because I don't think the major I'm in right now is even for me.

Though I find a few scenarios kind of silly like the "haven't you taken math in high school?" thing because usually, college students know that college math is more difficult than high school math. But I haven't experienced anything like that, so I can't be too certain.

When I noticed the confidence bar, it was close to the end and was almost full and when I saw it go up and down, it was just interesting.

Local time: Thu May 30, 2024 6:09 am

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Fri May 29, 2015 5:30 pm

That was interesting
I would have done a few things differently (worn dress pants, not a dress, for one thing)
Tho why does it have a few options when they're not even covered? That confuses me

hangout|art shop|card shop
BUTT CAPES
I need mah butt capes!
ImageImage

Postby Ryvvi » Fri May 29, 2015 5:45 pm

Well for starters it didnt let me choose english as a major T_T
But it was super interesting to see like because i was doing english when i was at college, which has a high female population, i never had to deal with behaviour like this at all.
Very depressing to see that despite all our advances in gender equality things like this are still prevalent :/

Local time: Thu May 30, 2024 10:09 pm

Ry: Rise of The Innovator 4000 , The Quickening [NOT THE BEEEEESSS Limited Edition]

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Fri May 29, 2015 7:48 pm

They shouldn't have an option that's outside of the STEM majors. Putting English there was pointless.

It still needs quite a bit of work to make it better and to make more sense.

Postby Maro » Sun May 31, 2015 8:01 am

If I still had a working laptop I would definitely try it

Local time: Thu May 30, 2024 8:39 am

Art by - ciel

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Sun May 31, 2015 9:57 am

Mark, I'm on a phone and it ran fine

Postby Axiom » Sun May 31, 2015 3:11 pm

I realized pretty quickly that this wasn't so much a game as an educational tool to show others what it is like to be a woman in a STEM field. I thought it did a great job of simulating the experience. A lot of men (like the boys in your class and lab group, your teachers and potential employers, and your family members) can be overly critical of women in STEM fields for having a more limited background in the subject matter, give them little to no encouragement, and often assume they don't belong in their major. It's difficult to be successful in STEM fields as a woman because a lot of the system is working against you.

Local time: Thu May 30, 2024 3:09 am

Postby ShiroGEM » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:33 am

I'm pretty much thinking the same thing as Axiom.
To be honest, the math scenario made some sense to me because I forget how to do things a lot. So by the time I get to college, even if I learned it in high school, i'd probably forget.

Local time: Thu May 30, 2024 7:09 pm

chris | they/them | hong kong
Hangout • Wishlist • AvisSketchbook • Items I've Made
Art Shop!

pixel by Mouse

Postby Axiom » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:25 pm

In most of my computer science classes in college, there were 40 students and maybe 3 or 4 of them were women. And most of time, they didn't have the prior experience with programming and familiarization with computers that a lot of boys get. There are a plethora of reasons this happens, but the results are staggering. The women end up feeling uncomfortable in the class, not just because there are so few of them, but because they are confused by the material and they think they are the only ones because so many of the men are confident and even cocky about how much they know. Male teachers are even worse because they will expect students to be familiar with certain things, even in an introductory class, and a lot of the women won't be, so the male teachers will disregard them and suggest they try a new major, and so the cycle continues.

To fix this divide, we have to actively start getting girls interested in STEM fields at a young age, and give them the introductory knowledge they will need so when they start college, they will be on the same level as the men in their classes.

Local time: Thu May 30, 2024 3:09 am

Postby Diana » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:32 pm

I'm so glad to see so many responses! I was waiting a bit to reply to everyone, so this might be kind of long:

MonkeyGirl18 wrote:It was interesting. I'm thinking about even going into computer science (you can probably guess which one I chose, lol) because I don't think the major I'm in right now is even for me.

Though I find a few scenarios kind of silly like the "haven't you taken math in high school?" thing because usually, college students know that college math is more difficult than high school math. But I haven't experienced anything like that, so I can't be too certain.

Computer Science is awesome! I very much recommend it! If you need anyone to talk to about it, I'd be glad to. C:
I think the math scenario was really spot on. Although one might know college math is supposed to be more difficult, it's that sort of "in the back of your mind" type thing, where you have to think about it a bit to come to that conclusion (if that makes sense); in college you still take calculus, and a good chunk of each class ends up being a review of the previous class, so classes do feel like (even if they're not) they're full of information you should already know.

Kitalpha Hart wrote:I would have done a few things differently (worn dress pants, not a dress, for one thing)

I very much agree! I'm a dresspants person in general (would wear dress-shorts if they didn't make me look like I go to boarding school, haha) so I was a little put off by the dress scenario. However, I know the struggle of finding dressy tops and other clothes that are modest, so it wasn't too far off the mark.

Ryvvi wrote:Well for starters it didnt let me choose english as a major T_T
But it was super interesting to see like because i was doing english when i was at college, which has a high female population, i never had to deal with behaviour like this at all.
Very depressing to see that despite all our advances in gender equality things like this are still prevalent :/

If I recall correctly, the game was created as a mini-hackathon project (basically coded really quickly at a day/overnight convention, for the non-programmers out there), so I am not sure if there was intention to add in English (and other options) as actual choices later, or if they had a reason for putting them in.
You had the opposite experience in college, it sounds like. Was there anything particular you noticed coming from that? (Like did it seem like the boys were at a disadvantage or anything?)

Maro wrote:If I still had a working laptop I would definitely try it

It's a javascript game, so you should be able to run it on any device. I do suggest you giving it a try if you get a chance though!

Axiom wrote:I realized pretty quickly that this wasn't so much a game as an educational tool to show others what it is like to be a woman in a STEM field. I thought it did a great job of simulating the experience. A lot of men (like the boys in your class and lab group, your teachers and potential employers, and your family members) can be overly critical of women in STEM fields for having a more limited background in the subject matter, give them little to no encouragement, and often assume they don't belong in their major. It's difficult to be successful in STEM fields as a woman because a lot of the system is working against you.

In most of my computer science classes in college, there were 40 students and maybe 3 or 4 of them were women. And most of time, they didn't have the prior experience with programming and familiarization with computers that a lot of boys get. There are a plethora of reasons this happens, but the results are staggering. The women end up feeling uncomfortable in the class, not just because there are so few of them, but because they are confused by the material and they think they are the only ones because so many of the men are confident and even cocky about how much they know. Male teachers are even worse because they will expect students to be familiar with certain things, even in an introductory class, and a lot of the women won't be, so the male teachers will disregard them and suggest they try a new major, and so the cycle continues.

To fix this divide, we have to actively start getting girls interested in STEM fields at a young age, and give them the introductory knowledge they will need so when they start college, they will be on the same level as the men in their classes.

Exactly! I could not have put it better.
You've led me up to my next discussion topic!

Recently my department head contacted me about trying to come up with ways to convince more girls (aiming at highschool juniors/seniors) to pick Computer Science (and related computer engineering divisions) as their major in college.

So, to people with non-STEM majors:
    What made you choose your major?
    Would you consider a computing major? If not, why?

And to everyone:
    Why do you think girls don't choose STEM majors?
    What do you think is the number one thing to do to help get more girls into STEM fields?

I have my own ideas, and I'll post them after a few responses, but I'd really appreciate any information or insight you guys could share with me!

Site Admin

Postby Ryvvi » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:00 am

Theres a celebrity doing some program or something to get young girls into coding/STEM fields i cant remember who though or i would link
Diana
Yeah i think it was a lot more of a safe place for women to talk about a lot of issues we faced
there was one class in particular where we had just one guy in the class (even the teacher was female) and we ended up talking a lot about womens issues, and if he tried to like challenge something about it he would be quickly shut down by a lot of us saying like no, we've experienced the same thing.

Local time: Thu May 30, 2024 10:09 pm

Postby Maro » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:49 am

I need to try this next time i am at the library

Local time: Thu May 30, 2024 8:39 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:00 pm

Below is a link to an Article on Top 5 Myths about girls, math and science -
an interesting point on how a good Teacher stimulates both girls and boys to enjoy science..."Good math and science teachers also recognize that when instruction is inquiry-based and hands-on, and students engage in problem solving as cooperative teams, both boys and girls are motivated to pursue STEM activities, education and careers."

Think about the various Teachers, educators you have had and how they have influenced your life.What are some of the positive influences for you? I think that my science classes were the most interesting, probably because we did a lot of hands on experiments and projects.

http://www.livescience.com/7349-top-5-m ... lated_test

Postby karmaisa » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:56 am

I'm thinking about pursuing an Engineering major and I sign up for a lot of enrichment camps for this kind of stuff for high schoolers. The gender gap is very prominent but I'm glad a lot of universities near me are proud of their statistics for accepting female students.

Next

Return to The Lounge