The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

Pet Peeves

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby Dragon » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Guys that say: "Yeah, I'm not like most guys, I'm a nice guy."

Local time: Sun May 19, 2024 9:17 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:03 pm

again: people that don't use their turn signals!! Com'on, use the code when on the road - believe it or not I can't read your mind!! It's like every time I go out driving - that or they are on their cell phone and not paying attention.

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:27 pm

When people show up late to anything, even just 5 minutes late....

Local time: Sun May 19, 2024 11:17 pm

Postby Juneberry » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:42 pm

I have a lot of things I can't handle: most are fears, but I do have some peeves as well. For starters, I go bonkers when things are spelled wrong. It's one thing if it's a five year old that can't spell properly because they're five [seriously, I couldn't even read until I was eight, I get that]. But when a doctor's office can't bother to spell-check and writes the word 'patients' wrong on the form? I'm sorry, I'm gonna fix it before I send it in. You know why? Because otherwise they'll never get it thanks to my OCD that says everything has to be exact or I will break it apart. I spent a good chunk of school just glaring at the board wanting to fix stuff...

*cough*

I also get awkwardly irritated at certain commercials because of their wording about things, mostly because it feels derogatory towards people with issues they aren't even meaning to imply about. But worse than the nose-blind Febreeze ones is honestly when neighbors or relatives just shove stuff under your nose saying to smell it.

Especially if you've had the conversation explaining 'you have no sense of smell' ten or more times in the past few months.

Local time: Mon May 20, 2024 12:17 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:51 pm

I just read somewhere that a lack of smell can be a zinc deficiency. I have a friend who had such a bad sinus infection that she lost her sense of smell (and hence taste) for over a year - fortunately she got most of it back but she worries sometimes that she can't smell everything (probably not a bad thing if something stinks).

Postby Juneberry » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:59 pm

I was just born like this, Lemon xD But I have looked into that before. I worry excessively about meds and vitamins. My dad's overdoing on vitamins sent him to the hospital in a weird way once.

Oh. That reminds me...I can't stand watching some people take pills. It's just a couple pills it's fine, but my dad can take a whole bottle in one gulp. It's freaky! ;-;

Oh, also for some reason can't handle being near people who are washing out their mouths in the bathroom after brushing or gargling. The spitting sound just...blargh. Sounds annoy me.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:34 pm

I've seen people who can swallow multiple pills - I'm lucky if I can get one down without it being trapped in my throat.

Actually it may have been a zinc and vitamin B12 deficiency that affects your sense of smell...would have to confirm that.

I never heard of anyone being born without a sense of smell...you are the first! If you don't mind me asking...how does that affect your sense of taste (you obviously know you like the soy ice cream), because I thought the 2 go hand in hand? My friend said when she lost her smell she would eat foods that were spicy or salty so she could "taste" something. An up side is that you don't have to smell people's BO and rotting food, I guess the downside is you wouldn't be able to smell if there was a hazardous odor... Do others in your family have this? Is there any cure?

Postby Juneberry » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:56 am

Zinc overdose can cause you to lose your sense of smell. I know this because there was a hug allegation against a cold medicine that was primarily zinc giving everyone that used it acquired anosmia. But then again it could've been their colds. xD

Believe it or not, I've had DOCTORS ask me that question, Lemon- don't mind it at all anymore. The thing is, I was born like this. I don't know if my sense of taste is normal or not. But sometimes I'll eat something that most don't say tastes salty, and I'm like "how much dang salt is in this!? it's horrid!" or something. Basically, my sense of taste is more...awkward. Smell helps with flavor, but general taste involves tastebuds too. So it's more complicated. But since I was born like this, I figure my body was also born with a general taste fix to fight that part so I actually eat. and I eat a lot. My family has no known history with it, but I don't know much about my mom's side honestly. Anosmia itself affects 1% of the world's population, but of that 1%, only 5% have it congenitally [born with it]. There's studies being done slowly but...No known cure. It's really annoying though since I've been in two gas-leaks and wasn't aware for days sometimes. On the plus side, eight skunks never annoyed me but freaked out everyone else :D

I am seriously sometimes lucky I can swallow water. I randomly choke on my own spit regularly.
Oh, but um...Another peeve of mine to get back on topic: My family's tendency to ramble. I do it too, I know I do. But at the same time, rambling hurts my head. ;-; I'm just like 'dad you've been talking about the same thing for an hour can we stop now'.

But worse than that: when people call you on the phone and don't bother to turn off the tv in the background or something. My grandma does it constantly. And she keeps her TV so loud I can't hear her.

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:45 am

Pet Peeve:
When someone turns down the ac in my room and/or turns off the fan.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:49 am

Juneberry: Thank you for the information! A deficiency versus overdose is a big difference. Ouch! I'd probably overdo it and wonder why it wasn't helping. Honestly I just remembered the association not the details. (Why it is always good to look into things before proceeding).

I'm sorry, I still can't wrap my head around the no smell thing. :distress: I know it is real...but my brain...trying to comprehend.... :cry: with only 1 % of the world having it no wonder most of us don't know about it. How old were you when they realized?
Some smells make me nauseous, some make me sneeze, so I'd be ok with a reduced sense of smell sometimes...but even strong smells up close to your nose...absolutely nothing?

I am glad it sounds like you have a pretty good sense of taste....actually, is it possible to "taste smells" sometimes if you breathed through your mouth? Like if I am in a fragrant flower/herb garden and I breathe through my mouth I feel like I can "taste" the smell (don't know if that is just in my head though)...

I'm glad you didn't say a pet peeve is people asking you about this, (even though I imagine it could be), thank you for educating dull wits like me! :grin:

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:54 pm

Um, idc, I'm bringing this back...

Pet Peeve:
People at the grocery store who start up a conversation and doesn't give two craps to me who is trying to get to something they're standing in front of because I'm too much of a wimp to ask them to move.

Postby Ryvvi » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:59 pm

as someone who works at a supermarket, i feel that pain acutely monkey ;-;
so much pain

people who put the money on the bench, right next to my outstretched hand
people who ignore me when i greet them (just say hi ffs i dont want to talk to you either)
people who get annoyed at store policy in regards to returning items, and then force me to call the manager, who always gives them what they want because theyre not there every day dealing with them -.-
pet peeves: supermarket edition

Local time: Mon May 20, 2024 3:17 pm

Ry: Rise of The Innovator 4000 , The Quickening [NOT THE BEEEEESSS Limited Edition]

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:11 pm

I try to reply to the greeters but it doesn't always come out when I try...... Being shy is terrible. So sometimes it seems like I'm ignoring them but I just couldn't say anything when I wanted to, lol.

Postby Ryvvi » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:05 pm

Even if like you smile or nod! its mostly just, when they dont acknowledge my existence at all T_T
Not door greeters btw, like when you go through registers! theres self serve registers for a reason :strain:

Local time: Mon May 20, 2024 3:17 pm

Postby Bassy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:48 pm

So today, I was driving down the road and this dump truck had his left blinker on for about a minute then turned right.......like......what.......

Please feed and hold my pokemon?

Soup’s Pokémon!

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge