The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

I'm going to Cuba!

Moderator: Ryvvi

I'm going to Cuba!

Postby Lime » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:31 pm

So on the 17th (in two days!) I'm going to Cuba- I'm pretty scared, but I guess I'm excited too. My parents decided to drop a surprise on us, and welp. Colour me surprised, haha.. I don't really know if I even want to go..

Have any of you ever been traveling before? If so, where? I'm kinda curious. I also know that apparently Americans aren't allowed to go to Cuba, because I usually fly out of Buffalo because where I live in Canada is actually so close to the border, it would take me less time to get to New York than it would Toronto, haha. But I have to fly out of Toronto.

I know it's stupid, but I'm terrified of getting like, Hep A or something. Or some other disease. :c I don't like picking at things or being rude, but I don't really know how sanitary Cuba is. We'll be in a resort, but still.. Haha.

Are you guys paranoid of traveling too?

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 11:06 pm

:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:
it's good to be back
if you see me here and there
feel free to say hey
:wink:
- A Lime Haiku
:L_Wing: :heart: :R_Wing:

Re: I'm going to Cuba!

Postby Ghost » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:38 am

That's awesome! I've never been out of the country.

I have some friends who came here from Cuba a few years ago. Their family said it all depends on the area you're in. Some areas are bad while some are beautiful. Kind of like Mexico.

That sounds super exciting, though. I hope you have more fun than you're expecting to! You're gonna have to tell us all about it when you get back! c:

ImageImage
Nibbly wants a sacrifice
Wiggly wants his wrath
We dance around the pentagram
And take all our kingdoms back

Postby Satan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:28 pm

I've never traveled outside of the country myself, but I did travel by air for the first time a few months ago. It was a pretty scary experience being on a plane for the first time, but as long as there isn't any turbulence it just feels like being in a car. Plane food is good though, I had some of the best hummus ever on that plane ride. I think my biggest fear traveling out of the country would probably be being able to communicate with the locals. Since you're in a resort, you'll be mostly sectioned off from locals so you shouldn't have to worry to much about anything like that. As far as cleanliness, being at a resort I'm sure you wont have to worry to much about it, but still I wouldn't take any crazy chances. Is it going to be your first time traveling by air?

Americans aren't technically banned from Cuba, we are just banned from conducting monetary transactions with Cuba, so in theory if an American could make it to Cuba without spending money to, from, or while there it would be legal. There was a law passed in the 60s to try to prevent Cuba from developing by banning Americans from being able to conduct trade with Cuba in any form via transactions or otherwise. I believe Cuban Americans are still allowed to visit and conduct transactions there, but it has to be done in some sort of schedule I think. There are some exceptions though, research, humanitarian causes, and journalism, are a few reasons one would be allowed to travel to Cuba. The laws can also be circumvented by traveling to Canada or Mexico first and then traveling to Cuba, though I'm not sure the legal repercussions in the event that you get caught doing so.

Postby Lime » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:09 pm

Thanks guys!

I'm leaving tomorrow, but it's only for 10 days. But man am I freaked out! Haha.

And I've been on plenty of planes before, because my ex-fiance was from Texas, and I'm from Canada. So I had to fly a lot to see him. Planes don't bug me. :P It's going to another country and being so far away from home. I mean, not in North America in general.. The States I'm cool with. :)

I hope I packed right.. Haha. It's going to be weird going somewhere that's so hot, especially because I'm not used to it. I hope I don't melt! Lmao.

Postby Ghost » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:44 pm

Please don't melt! We need Lime around~

Ahaha I am moving to North Dakota from Florida in a couple of weeks. I'm doing the opposite switch. Hot to cold. QQ I am gonna freeze.
Also I am gonna visit Canada so that should be fun. Never been out of America before.

Postby Lime » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:27 pm

I'm back! Hurrah!

I had.. An absolutely awful time, haha. Okay, it wasn't awful but I had the worst possible luck and I'm still sick from it. :c Ugh. But I got to swim with dolphins! And see a lot of cool things!

Also you're going to visit Canada?! :O That's awesome! Where in Canada?

Postby Ghost » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:43 pm

I am so sorry you didn't have much fun! Glad to have you back though!

Swimming with dolphins?! Jealous!!

& i am not sure yet. I got in to ND yesterday so we're gonna be making all kinds of plans soon.

Postby Lime » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Yeah, there was a lot of crap that went on.. xD I told a few friends about it, but most of it was embarrassing, omg. I thought I was going to just shrivel up after a while. One story of which includes my bathing suit ripping in half..

But anyways! Yeah, the dolphin swimming was REALLY cool! They're surprisingly soft. Like, their skin is just smooth and silky. >w< It was fun to pet them and swim with them. They even gave us kisses and hugs!

And that's awesome~ ;D I live in Southern Ontario, so I'm about 1/2 hour from the US border by car. I'm remarkably close to the States, haha. Which is pretty cool.

Postby Ghost » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:27 pm

Oh wow, I'm sorry! That sounds awful!

Aww that sounds so cute! I wanna go touch all the dolphins now and rub them on my face QQ

Oh wow, you're very close~ I actually decided to leave early so I won't have time to visit Canada. :C I am sad about that.

Postby Lime » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Yeah, it was.. Phew, eventful. Haha. I can't even remember all that had happened honestly.

And yesss. <3 I want to snuggle them all now forever. Especially because they give so many kisses. D: It's so cute~

And d'aww, it's okay. Maybe another time! ;) Haha.

Postby Archer_8 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:13 am

Super excited to Travel to Cuba. I am person who loves to roam around and this time I have selected Cuba. I would love if anyone who has been to Cuba will share their experience.

Local time: Wed May 08, 2024 8:06 pm

Postby Lime » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:45 pm

Oh- well hello! I was in Cuba for around two weeks. :) It was at a hotel, but very close to where all the locals live, I even went out on a few small adventures locally. Where exactly in Cuba are you going? :D I'll at least share what I know!

Return to The Lounge