The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

What are you allergic to?

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: What are you allergic to?

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:34 pm

do you have to wear a medic alert?

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 1:25 pm

Postby princeofrose » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:22 am

I am actually allergic to things that mostly everyone is allergic to. Pollen, Grass, Animal Dander, and excessive amounts of dust. No food allergies that I know of (Thank goodness) however my mom and brother are both lactose intolerant. I could be lactose intolerant but I love milk and dairy products so much that I just ignore it! :smile:

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 12:25 pm

Postby Axiom » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:53 pm

I am allergic to dust, mold, cats, probably dogs, and possibly pollen. No food allergies though, so I'm lucky there. And really, most of my allergies are excellent excuses to avoid cleaning. xD

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 12:25 pm

Postby Silverfire » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:04 pm

I can add Downy and maybe Tide to my list.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 3:25 pm

Postby Dragon » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:47 pm

I'm allergic to dust. I can't stop sneezing and my nose gets all stuff and runny and it's just awful :c

I was allergic to animal hair for a while but I think I outgrew that... Hopefully.

Postby frenchtoast » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:01 pm

✄ ✄ ✄ I'm allergic to penicillin, and one time when I was like 4 years old I almost died because I got some injected at the doctor's. ✄ ✄ ✄

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 4:25 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:30 pm

That is very serious! I hope you wear a medic alert!

Postby Juneberry » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:14 pm

Most of my allergies are medication related. It's really difficult because I can only take a very limited number of medications without serious issues when it comes to psychiatric and antibiotics. One time, I actually had a reaction to a vaccine, and the doctors gave me what some call a '10-percenter' -> it's similar to penicillin, but only like 10 percent related, so most people can handle it even with a penicillin allergy. Unfortunately, it made the inflamed vaccination area grow a lump. Like a hard, painful one. That was...an awkward day.

Unfortunately, to add to my list...I'm allergic to gypsum plaster. Y'know, the stuff they use to make oldschool walls and stuff? Yep, my walls and stuff are made of my own allergen. At least I didn't find out what the issue is through a cast like most of my family though. I found out in art class when I was helping mix the stuff for ceramics and came out with arms covered in hives o.O;

Lucky me though- I don't have notable seasonal allergies! I do get sick when I eat watermelon [weird fact is weird]...But unless pollen count is insanely high, I don't get sniffles and insanity like my dad does~ Count your blessings, right?

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:43 pm

Yikes! Hopefully if the plaster is painted you are ok - good for you looking at the bright side!

- watermelon and other melons give me a tummy ache so I don't eat much of them. My Grandma use to like to try and feed me cantelope for breakfast and would not understand that when I did it left me nauseated all day because it just doesn't sit well in my stomach. sigh. Cucumbers do the same thing, probably because they are a similar family, so I like to eat them but regret it later.

Seriously though, all of you with major reactions need to keep the list in your purse/phone and wear a medic alert.

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:34 pm

I discovered that with deodorant, I'm allergic to something in stick deodorant, something that's not the fragrance. >.> I don't really like gel or spray on deodorant, but I have no choice, lol. I used to not be allergic to stick deodorant. But gel deodorants with a smell doesn't irritate me and make me itch my underarms like stick deodorant does. Thank goodness, I like deodorant with a smell and not a fragranceless one.

Postby Juneberry » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:35 pm

I'm actually the polar opposite from you, Monkey! I can't use things with fragrance in them [lucky me, I wouldn't be missing out either way: I have no sense of smell. but that's a story for another time/thread]. I have really sensitive skin even ignoring allergens. I can't have anything scented- fabric softener, deodorant, air freshener...If it has special fragrance that touches me, I'm gonna itch like mad.

Lemon: Finally, someone who understands my pain. ;-; My grandmother loves shoving watermelon at me. It took me like 5 years of constantly telling her I can't eat it without getting sic before she came up with a logical conclusion: just try to eat the rind. Unfortunately it didn't work. But it's only watermelon I can't eat without getting icky guts. Which sucks since I LOVE IT. Thus, I currently have a pack of artificially-flavored watermelon gum. Good thing cucumbers don't hurt me. I love me some pickles. Unless it's like...Spicy pickles. >>

And wanna hear the weirdest food allergy I know of? CORN. My dad is allergic to all forms of it. Great place to live in is the US, where 98% of everything has corn product, huh? So far haven't found out a country that doesn't use tons. Corn...Dad better not be a chicken in his next life...

But yeah I actually lose space on the lines for 'allergies' on my doctor forms xD "List just the meds" "Um I have like seven and they all have long names." Of course, fun fact, most doctors will say 'to be safe, include meds that give you heavy side effects as allergies'. If it weren't for that, only 2 would need to be listed xD

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:16 pm

Like, I tried a stick deodorant that didn't have a scent to it and it irritated me and my mom had gel deodorant that had a scent and didn't bother me. The stick and the gel have a different active ingredient. That might just be it. I can't be sure though.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:53 pm

most products have similar ingredients so look at the labels on the product you can use and the product you cannot and see which are different. That will help narrow it down. I had to do that when I used a new brand of face cream and my face swelled like a balloon. A difference was one had mineral oil and the other did not. Had to take some heavy allergy pills to get that to go down, I was so afraid it would stay like that!

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:34 am

The deodorants have like all or almost all the ingredients to be different... :\ That's the biggest problem. I probably didn't choose the right one to compare to because the stick deodorant I compared is supposedly all natural with nothing being artificial.

But there has to be something the stick deodorant has that gel deodorant doesn't.

I try researching what may be the cause and a lot of what I find is alcohol but that's for the frgrance and the all natural one that irritates me has no alcohol and is scentless lol. It's definitely not sensitivity, because I can use scented gels.

Postby Juneberry » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:51 am

At least we're not allergic to allergy pills guys. My dad takes extra allergy meds for his allergy meds. Because his allergy meds are held together with corn starch.

I had a friend once who was allergic to eggs, milk and wheat. I felt bad for her. She had so many things she couldn't enjoy. On the upside though, it wasn't hard for her to keep kosher [which since her family was orthodox and did so, she had to].

Then I had a friend allergic to chlorine. Never could go swimming or play at the ocean. I've heard of people being allergic to regular water itself. That...I don't get. But it's true and possible.

...I wonder if my sensitivity to MSG could be called an allergy? :D

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge