The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

What are you allergic to?

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: What are you allergic to?

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:56 am

I would call your sensitivity to msg an allergy and just stay away from it, I don't do well with it either and my friend gets headaches from it and my Mom also vomits from it. We shouldn't be allergic to foods, it isn't right, food is suppose to be good for us.

Your poor Dad! Can he take children's liquid allergy medicine instead? A lot of foods have cornstarch for thickeners in them (like gravies) too. Yikes!

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:05 pm

Postby Juneberry » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:59 am

I never actually read the ingredients but most likely not. I mean, wanna know the main reason we don't drink regular soda [besides diabetes]? It has corn syrup in it. For some reason diet doesn't have that either. o.O

And yeah. MSG makes my head go bonkers. I avoid it like the plague. I hiss at watermelon displays too though. Because I'm mad at them for making me ill when they're so yummy. I wish I could find a version of them that I could eat. Sorta like how i found less-acidic tomatoes to nom on to my acid reflux's relief.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:05 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:06 pm

there's less acidic coffee out there too, but it is harder to find

Postby ScratchedRecord » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:20 am

I'm not allergic to anything myself. But I've always wondered what it's like to be allergic. What's life like?

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:45 pm

it is irritating and frustrating to be food sensitive and allergic can be anywhere from having rashes to your throat closing up ...

Postby Valentine Strange » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:07 pm

So apart from my Crohn's, I actually have a few food allergies.
Eggs, I cannot eat eggs. They make me terribly ill and cause me to become very lethargic and the only way that I end up feeling better after eating them is sleeping the affects off. I don't have any allergy meds and things like probiotics and yogurt don't help with it either. I can eat baked goods though. So eggs don't bother me when they are in something.

Pears, I have never really liked pears so I never really ate them and when I was I kid I never seemed to react to them, but just last year actually, I ate a pear (I forget what kind) and ended up liking so I ended up getting a few more. Later that day though I started feeling itchy and then the next morning my neck and upper arms were covered in a rash. I didn't know what exactly the cause was at the time though until I went for another pear and the juice caused my skin to react. I instantly threw them out and the rash went away after I cut them out of my diet.

Menthol, this is sort of problem since it is found in most cough drops and most lip balms. I have to be very carful because this can actually cause a potentially deadly reaction for me. I first found out about this when I got a lip balm that had menthol in it. I had never gotten menthol lip balm before, but I had heard it was good for moisturizing and the scent cleared congestion. When I put it on though my lips swelled and became red. They also hurt a little. The second time I had a run in with menthol was a Ricola cough drop. A friend had given it to me because I was still getting over a cold. It tasted a little funny to me and when I told them they said it might be the menthol filling. I spit it out immediately, but it was a bit late and tongue was swollen for awhile. Luckily I didn't swallow any of the filling, but my throat would likely have swelled shut if I did. Now my friends know not to give me certain cough drops and to double check the ingredients before giving me anything.

And I'm pretty sure I should get a prescription allergy medicine because of the menthol allergy and how dangerous it could be.

Postby galled » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:44 pm

Yes the menthol allergy is very serious. I wonder if an epi pen would help if you ever had another encounter.

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Valentine Strange » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:59 pm

galled
I think it might. I looked up if it helps with swelling and most places said yes. I'd have to most likely go through some form of allergy testing though to get one. That might be something I'll talk with my doctor about.

Juneberry
The watermelons that make you sick, do they have seeds in them? Sometimes it's not the fruit itself that causes the reaction, but the seeds. My half brother has a similar issue, but with grapes. He can't eat their seeds.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:33 pm

Definitely discuss getting an epipen or whatever the equivalent is - do they even make a less expensive generic version yet? Anything that can cause your tongue to swell, and possibly your throat to close up, that quickly needs to be addressed immediately. A pill antihistamine might not work fast enough and why risk it?

My Mom has an epipen but she also carries the dissolve in your mouth antihistamines to try first, and generally that is enough to help her mouth and throat but she has had to use the pen for immediate relief too.

Postby Diana » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:32 pm

Valentine Strange wrote:Eggs, I cannot eat eggs. They make me terribly ill and cause me to become very lethargic and the only way that I end up feeling better after eating them is sleeping the affects off. I don't have any allergy meds and things like probiotics and yogurt don't help with it either. I can eat baked goods though. So eggs don't bother me when they are in something.

Oh my goodness! I recently discovered that eggs make me really sick. I get nauseous, only want to lie down, vomit everywhere, and my hands itch. I am also okay to eat them as long as they are in baked goods! I found I can also eat the whites alone. I haven't tried the yolks alone yet, but they're supposedly not good for you to eat many of, and I don't like eggs that much anyways lol. :cheeky:
I am so surprised at how common an allergy it is!
From what I was reading, many people have an allergy that is triggered by the reaction that occurs between proteins in the yolk and in the sack containing the whites. Baked goods usually slow/stop the process enough that it doesn't cause any issues, but eating eggs plain, they are not cooked as long, and the reaction is still occurring when you eat them.

It's been real obnoxious when I order eggs at a restaurant now. I feel like they just think I'm trying to be obnoxiously healthy or something :distress:

Site Admin

Postby Valentine Strange » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:14 pm

Diana
I would say that it runs in the family since so many people in my family has this issue, but my mom is adopted so I'm not really biologically related to them. But we all share a lot of the same issues, which is kind of funny because of that fact.
Yeah, it is interesting how this is quite common. It took quite some time though for people to recognize it as a common allergy. I remember when there were not a lot of egg free things. Now I find quite a bit of stuff that is egg free.
I'm quite picky about how my eggs are made anyways so I don't usually ask for them when I am out, but that is interesting. I didn't know it was caused by a reaction in proteins.

Postby Gingerale » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:19 pm

which makes you wonder if it is mainly diet (what we eat) then?

Local time: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:05 pm

Postby Tuijp » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:56 am

I'm allergic to peanuts (also not too good with other nuts) and beetroots.

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:05 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:56 pm

uh oh, nut allergies are very sewrious because so many things contain nuts. i heard that sometimes it is the mold on the nuts that a person is more allergic to...but walnuts don't like me so go figure that one.

Postby Cilencio Cerbera » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:16 pm

Not allergic to anything I think

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:05 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge