The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

What holidays do you celebrate?

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Holiday traditions...ornaments and wreaths and things

Postby I Shall Engrave » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:21 pm

In Russia, we celebrate New Year by baking pierogies (I think that's what they're called in English) with assorted items inside to represent your future year - a ring inside would symbolize marriage, pepper would be a bitter year, blank paper would mean empty, etc.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 2:38 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:32 pm

ISE: The perogies my Grandma would make were potatoes and cheese, onions and sauerkraut I think...one other one...we'd have them with butter or sour cream. Didn't realize they signified anything...that's kind of fun to know!

Watery: my first few apartments I bought the live trees in the planters, you can get them table top or small shrub size, and decorated them then tried to plant them outside after if I could find property to do it... now we have a fake tree which is simpler and still pretty and no problems with the allergies. Maybe you can find something...or just do some decorations...

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 3:38 pm

Postby Watery Star » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:27 am

Haven't heard of pierogies before but it sounds like a fun tradition.

I grew up with a large fake tree. I'd get one of those instead of dealing with a actual tree or shrub. My boyfriend didn't want to get one or do any decorating. Don't want to hassle him about it. It's ok, I'll go about getting that stuff next year. I'm just happy to have our own place.

By the way, the idea of a small shrub sounds nice. Being able to plant it afterward sounds much better than disposing of a tree. We just have a small backyard and have enough greenery along the sides.

Local time: Thu May 09, 2024 5:38 pm

Postby I Shall Engrave » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:39 am

We used to put up a real tree and decorate it for the New Year (we don't celebrate Christmas) but it's too much of a hassle so we get a fake one to reuse every year. It's probably not going to be put up this year because of a...situation.

Postby Watery Star » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:49 am

Oh no. Do you not want to talk about the situation?

Postby I Shall Engrave » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:55 am

I can message you about it. Don't really want to publicize.

Postby Watery Star » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:12 am

That's ok. I hope it's nothing too serious.

Postby I Shall Engrave » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:23 am

It's fine. Not serious, but people don't react well to it and I have some friends on the site I know in person.

Postby Watery Star » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:26 am

oh I see.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:58 pm

ISE: I am sorry you are going through a difficult time right now. I hope you will still do something special, celebrate with one of your traditions anyway this holiday season

Watery Star: having your own place is reason to celebrate for sure! Maybe someone will gift you with a christmas tree shaped rosemary bush (which you can use for cooking or replanting) or poinsetta plant or something...but if not you seem to have a good attitude about doing something special next year instead.

Postby Watery Star » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:10 am

I'd be surprised if I got a plant. I told my mother and sister-in-law I wanted clothes. ^^
What do you want for Christmas?

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:37 pm

My customers give me plants sometimes but I usually keep them at the office and then transplant them later. It's nicer then so much candy which I eat and make myself sick and gain 5 pounds that takes me months to get off....

I don't really have anything in particular I want...I like plants for growing in my yard, food gift cards, maybe I'll use my cash gifts for a Star Trek costume...then I'd have something to wear to convention, wouldn't that be out of this world.

Postby Watery Star » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:59 pm

A Star Trek costume sounds fun. What con do you plan on going to? Oh yeah chocolate and candy can be so tempting. My boyfriend went crazy and got a bunch of candy for Halloween. Fortunately we had a lot of trick or treaters so we didn't have too much leftover.

I'm excited for my new desk. It's suppose to be delivered on Tuesday.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:13 pm

Watery: What kind of desk are you getting? Computer? Writing? Wood? Glass?

Postby Watery Star » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:35 pm

Computer desk that has a hutch. Not sure if it's wood or laminate.
I've been using a computer desk my boyfriend got at a yard sale. It's ok but had no writing space. I like to draw and have been having to draw on my lap. :/

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge