The place to relax and hold discussions about specific topics, and conversations, or to just have a nice little chat!

What holidays do you celebrate?

Moderator: Ryvvi

Re: Holiday traditions... Halloween spookiness

Postby Silverfire » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:44 pm

I'm actually doing something different than the main stream Halloween. I'm going to try to observe Samhain for the first time. Just something small this year; I will try a more proper observation next year when I'm more prepared.

Something to read about Samhain for those that are curious

Local time: Wed May 15, 2024 2:55 am

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:15 pm

I had never heard of Samhain. Do you have friends to celebrate with?

Local time: Wed May 15, 2024 12:55 am

Postby Hocus Pocus » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:26 pm

I don't do anything for Halloween anymore. I don't hand out candy either. I'm an only child so once I stopped trick or treating which was around the age of 13 that was it. I'd still do it if it wasn't creepy. People tell me to go have a child so I can go tick or treating. No, unless I can rent one, I really don't want to keep it afterwards.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:46 pm

Hocus... take a friend's kid or do you have little cousins or neighbors kids?

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:49 pm

Not my hometown or the city my university is in, but a city in my state decided to have trick or treating in the mall on the 29th because people whined so much about Halloween being on Halloween.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:28 pm

I don't understand why people fuss so much

Postby Diana » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:43 pm

Hocus Pocus wrote:I don't do anything for Halloween anymore. I don't hand out candy either. I'm an only child so once I stopped trick or treating which was around the age of 13 that was it. I'd still do it if it wasn't creepy. People tell me to go have a child so I can go tick or treating. No, unless I can rent one, I really don't want to keep it afterwards.

Or you could just... Go get your own candy! ;P
I think trick-or-treating is a much better use of halloween than say, the wild "adult" parties. Way more fun!

Site Admin

Postby Silverfire » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:56 am

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:I had never heard of Samhain. Do you have friends to celebrate with?

No, I don't. I'm a Pagan in a overly Christian part of the US anyway. It doesn't sit well for others. Still I can do my best until I get out on my own and can work on expanding my collection of items.

Postby Lianna » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:00 am

I have a friend who is likely to observe Samhain, tho I haven't talked to her in person for a few years now (high school graduation)

Sup nerds check my main if you want my attention

Postby Maro » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:37 am

I love Samhain I kind of have always wanted to observe it but didn't know how to go about it. I'll be taking the little one out trick or treating this year though.

Local time: Wed May 15, 2024 5:25 am

Art by - ciel

Postby Hocus Pocus » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:41 pm

Lemon Cheesecake wrote:Hocus... take a friend's kid or do you have little cousins or neighbors kids?

None of my friends have children. My cousins aren't that close to me where they'd let me watch their child and there is currently only one child. I also live in a neighborhood where all of the kids are my age, we've grown up. haha :cool:

Postby Hocus Pocus » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:43 pm

Diana wrote:
Hocus Pocus wrote:I don't do anything for Halloween anymore. I don't hand out candy either. I'm an only child so once I stopped trick or treating which was around the age of 13 that was it. I'd still do it if it wasn't creepy. People tell me to go have a child so I can go tick or treating. No, unless I can rent one, I really don't want to keep it afterwards.

Or you could just... Go get your own candy! ;P
I think trick-or-treating is a much better use of halloween than say, the wild "adult" parties. Way more fun!

I don't really eat the candy, I just like dressing up and walking the streets with a candy bag, going door to door. It's more of the ceremony than the actual candy. I also don't hang out with a lot of people my age so I don't get invited to wild adult parties, though I don't think I'd fit in at those parties anyways. xD lol There is no hope.

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:09 pm

Sometimes me and my friends hang out together dressed up.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:07 pm

we have certain areas where parents drive their kids over and pick them up several blocks away because the candy handouts are so huge. Seems like more people are just leaving a bowl out and doing the honor system.

Hocus: Maybe you could look out for those kinds of places to get your candy! And if anyone asks just say you're getting it for someone... (you don't have to tell them its you

Postby Mousy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:42 am

My only Halloween tradition was that my mom always took all of my tootsie rolls because they "might have been contaminated." I know better now, but I still give her all of my tootsie rolls anyway whenever I have them. XD

Local time: Wed May 15, 2024 1:55 am

If you are talking to me, please ping or quote me. I get distracted and lose track of what I'm doing easily. :wink:

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge